Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default proper shadowboxing

even though ive been doing this for 8 months( boxing/training) i feel like i dont have the proper technique with shadowboxing, i just dont think im getting anything out of it. if someone can help me, it would be greatly appriciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:proper shadowboxing

When you shadowbox, does your flow with your combinations just happen, or do you have to think first? If it comes natural then you're getting somewhere. Is your form right? Are you sweating? Do you feel faster? If your form is right, you're sweating, and feel faster then you're doing it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i do sweat, but i certainly dont feel faster, but i know my form is right, im pretty coutious when i shadowbox, making sure i do everything right. maybe i think about it too much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea...maybe. Andre or Saddo should post, they'll solve all your problems with just one sentence lol

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Give up.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nope kidding ,but it would solve it.

I always think that shadow boxing is the exersize of joining your mind with your body.

You use your imagination to visualize the opponent attacking ,defending and you doing your stuff.

ITs not wrong to set your arms and legs free and just cut loose and have fun either! It is what speeds you up.

Think about a situation and all the moves involved first ,get it in your mind ,then shadow box it out to the extent where you dont have to think about it any more and the moves come natural.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch your self in front of a mirror. Maybe your leaving you self open, maybe your ego is messing with you. Show youself that you are fast fluent and strong. If you go about it every day and tell your self your not doing it right then thats what your body is gonna give your mind. Do what Andre said, imagine you are destroying an opponent in front of you and have fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't tense up, and don't worry about feeling faster. Just relax, so it will help your flexibility.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: proper shadowboxing

Avoid watching yourself side on in a mirror, this is training, you do now what you will do in a fight and if you stand and watch yourself side on your hands will come down to get a clear view, you just know thats going to carry into the ring and we dont want that.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been having a hard time shadowboxing myself. I don't have a problem on the bag, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my problem was that i got used to the bag too much. i got used to hitting something all the time, and when i shadowboxed, i was just off, i would just screw up, i couldn't get any combos going well, and it took time to fix. basically, focus on speed and combos, and try not to have the mentality of putting everything into a punch, focus on fluid combos. work on your technique. speedboxing can be a learning experience. besides, when people train on a bag, they are just looking to beat it up, which may result in repeated uppercuts and just trying to maul the thing, not thinking "if this was an assailant, i would be hit".

make sure you are able to keep punching fluidly, not letting yourself get off balance, which means doing the right combos, and not letting yoursel open. for the "not letting yourself get off balance", here's an example: right hooking, then right uppercutting. a simple example of flaw. make sure you can continue to punch safely and effectively.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    Give up.

Dude who cant shadow box

Rewind it bro

Take it SLOW

Watch yourself throw your jab, go slow, slow, get it right, then speed it up, speed it up and then you will flow.
    5 foot 4 inches and 154 lbs of PURE MAN

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch someone like Bernard Hopkins shadow box, it is a slowmotion affair, all movements are as economical as possible, all done to perfection at a managable pace.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't forget to concentrate on breathing correctly! It's really important!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another great thing to do is, find some good fight videos (not hard to do) ... especially the top guys. Take every 10 seconds or so (or whichever you like) and memorize(just for the slight moment) what one of the fighters does for that time period, and shadowbox against it in your mind, whatever mistakes were made in the fight you wont do, do everything perfect both mentally and physically. Another good thing I find is, simple deep breathing meditation (extremely deep 10-20-30 second inhales and exhales) before and after each session, this is where you reinforce your visualization and creativity skills, learn to manage your breathing pattern therefore controlling your heart rate and your reactions to "fight or flight". The better your mental visualization skills are, the better you will be at fighting, its been scientifically proven that your mind can not differentiate a real fight from one you create in your mind .. of course this is with very good visualization skills, just be consistent with training and it will flow.

Thread Information