Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Benn: Joe in defeat would be at crossroads

Boxing legend Nigel Benn has said that if the unthinkable happens and current king Joe Calzaghe suffers defeat at the hands of Jermain Taylor-conqueror Kelly Pavlik next year, Calzaghe will be at a crossroads.

"If Joe lost a fight, which I can't see, the case would be this: he either dusts himself down and aims for titles or he calls it a day.

"If you're fighting, make sure you're fighting for titles, because if you're fighting for money you aren't going to get the money. When you're fighting for money you can get hurt."

Benn recalls his first loss to Michael Watson in Finsbury Park in 1989.

"Man, I thought the world was on my shoulders. I cried my eyes out.

"Now remember, two months earlier and HBO, who screened Hagler-Hearns and Mike Tyson, offered this lad from Illford £2million to fight in Wembley Stadium against pound-for-pound best Michael Nunn, saying highlights of my KO's would sell the fight.

"I turned it down because I went super-nova and wanted £3million.

"I picked myself up, dusted myself down and decided I wanted titles. Jorge Amparo had been in with the best, and when I physically felt my hand shatter on his head I knew that my first 22 opponents were nothing but Pedro's!

"Amparo was no Manuel Calvo, that's for sure. The only Pedro's I fought for the rest of my career were late subs and I couldn't get up for them.

"Joe has had his share of opponents he couldn't get up for, too, and has not showed his real self in many fights.

"But when he's been pushed by some of the Yank lads who came to have a go, he's responded and we've seen his repertoire. That's what he needs."

Benn also insists fighters must be wanting to fight for titles if they want to make money.

"The way you make money is you fight for titles, because you put it secondary. If you win titles, money will always follow.

"I had multi-million dollar fights with Leonard and Hearns lined up when a certain big mouth from Hove turned up.

"I didn't prepare like a champion because, and I hold my hands up to this, it had all got to my head again. Chris prepared like a champion.

"Did I learn my lesson? You bet I didn't. After McClellan, I turned down $10million to fight Roy Jones because I wanted $25million.

"But I still got in with Steve Collins a couple of times. I didn't walk away after the Watson defeat, like some do."

The Dark Destroyer says he can't be accused of avoiding anyone in his career but questions why Calzaghe hasn't gone Stateside.

"I fought everyone and never ducked anyone. No one else would get in with Watson, Eubank, Collins, Barkley and McClellan and no one gave me a hope against De Witt or when I went to Italy.

"I went in there to go to war to please the public.

"I was a professional boxer for less than 10 years, Joe has been a champion for 10 years and in that time, maybe at some point he should have packed his bags and gone away to America to try to force guys like Jones and Hopkins in with him.

"It's a shame, but that's the way it is. He's certainly the best British super-middleweight ever, though, and I've been saying that for years. I take my hat off to him."

Benn tells us that Calzaghe hasn't had it easy outside of the ropes either and how he deserves credit for this.

"Don't forget, he's been through a messy divorce and custody battle, this messes your head up.

"But he managed to put it behind him, beat it and get up for a tough guy like Lacy to do a number on him and earn his respect when people said he was going to get beaten."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Benn: Joe in defeat would be at crossroads

I swear ive read this before without the conqueror Kelly Pavlik bit.

Benn didn't mention the God fella so it's not recent. And no mention of Kessler. Nice idea DD.

Pedro's
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i doubt NIGEL knows who KESSLER is, im suprised he knows that JOE is still active with him out on SETANTA, having fought once in a year and KESSLER never having been on UK TV befrore

and i like the digs at HAMED and WARREN !

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by petem
    i doubt NIGEL knows who KESSLER is, im suprised he knows that JOE is still active with him out on SETANTA, having fought once in a year and KESSLER never having been on UK TV befrore

and i like the digs at HAMED and WARREN !
    Nigel has been quite vocal on Joe's career for a long time now and he has never portrayed Calzaghe in a negative light.
    That suggests he's, if not a fan, a supporter.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its good to see an old fighter complement active fighters, often they would criticise and it would come across as being bitter.

Galzaghe has wasted a large part of his career from his win to Eubanks to Lacy, very little has happened except earning easy money, but no legacy fights. Benn had those.

The day Sven Ottke was rated better than Galzaghe should have been the day he realised he (and Warren) had messed up his career. He is trying to make up for it now but it is too little too late. You can never bring back your youth, he should have earned as much recognition as Lennox, Hamed and even Hatton.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I admire his honesty. Top bloke. We need more Dark Destroyers in boxing

Thread Information