Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mesi destroys Miller in 1!

Mesi destroys Miller in 1!

Friday, October 12 2007

By Peter Mark Heintzelman & Scott Ploof at ringside

Unbeaten heavyweight "Baby" Joe Mesi (36-0, 29 KOs) scored an impressive first round annihilation of Shannon Miller (15-4, 9 KOs) on Friday night at the Twin River Events Center in Lincoln, Rhode Island. Mesi was on the attack from the opening bell unloading some major hooks that rocked Miller. A final barrage punctuated by a straight right finally dropped Miller and referee Joey Luppino waved it off at 2:51.

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...EpIMQIpUp.html
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mesi destroys Miller in 1!

So?

No disrespect Wacko but who cares.

Mesi! Step up or bugger off....
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I totally agree, i don't think too many people actuallly care. And Shannon Miller is a nobody. I know Mesi was out for a while, but it is time for him to either step up or step off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of all the guys coming back, I think Mesi has been on the best path so far. Everything seems to be going smoothly for him so maybe he will be back in the mix next year against highly rated fighters.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's going well and taking his time. He's not ready for the step-up IMO yet. Maybe Summer '08

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, it does seem that it's time for Mesi to step it up, but I don't think he should have done it any earlier. He didn't look good at all in those first come back fights. I haven't seen his latest efforts, but looking at the competition, I think you have to take those 1 round KOs with a grain of salt. It does look promising, but time to see what he can do against some tougher opposition.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by taansend
    So?

He can't step up because he can't get licensed in New York or Las Vegas and therefore he can't get a title fight.

It's just too damn bad that Mesi couldn't fight Valuev, Ibragimov, Chagaev, or hell even Guinn, I always wanted to see that fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    So?

He can't step up because he can't get licensed in New York or Las Vegas and therefore he can't get a title fight.

It's just too damn bad that Mesi couldn't fight Valuev, Ibragimov, Chagaev, or hell even Guinn, I always wanted to see that fight
    Well stated Lyle.

No disrespect taken Taany...but it is boxing & it is news & alot of people were really really sold on Mesi being the next great white hope up until his brain bleed deal. For some reason I can just never be sold on Mesi & that was prior to the bleed...he just seems too limited.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

El Kabong Guest

He did certainly have one punch power but he didn't have a jab, he didn't have defense, he got tired in the fights vs Barrett and Jirov.

Had he truly been in shape and worked on other punches than a wide left hook and a looping overhand right he would have been a fairly decent heavyweight...I could see him besting some of the higher rated heavyweights.

He said he wants Brian Minto or Roman Greenburg next....that's good competition for him IMO.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The annoying thing about fighters like Joe Mesi is that they do keep on picking up victories against journeymen fighters, and because of skillful promoters they do get a few headlines and get their names in the news.

Another fighter who seems to have a remarkable record who was fighting last night is HW Faruq Saleem 37-0, 32 KOs, but he's never been beyond 10 rounds and never been in a title fight.

My question is whether it is a lack of ambition in some fighters to try themselves at higher levels, or is it that some of them can't get the higher profile fights?

El Kabong Guest

.....Well Joe Mesi had a brain bleed after the Jirov fight and since then he hasn't been licensed in New York or Las Vegas which means it's very difficult to find fights for him in the US in bigger markets.

Faruq Saleem is just a nobody he fed his career off of bums....Joe Mesi WANTS to fight the big name fighter but nobody wants to fight him because they are afraid because of his health.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    So?

Well stated Lyle.

No disrespect taken Taany...but it is boxing & it is news & alot of people were really really sold on Mesi being the next great white hope up until his brain bleed deal. For some reason I can just never be sold on Mesi & that was prior to the bleed...he just seems too limited.
    No more limited than everyone else in that division
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The liscense & the bleed will always be two huge factors against him.

He & his camp feel that the bleed's gone so it's time to get back to business as usual but boxing itself has basically shut them out. I don't see how Mesi could garner any legit rankings if he can't get registered.

Period...does anyone else?

Basically no matter what he does...he's done. Sure he can make money...but not like he was headed towards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It may be for the best anyway. I haven't seen anything to indicate he's any kind of world beater since coming back, even on today's HW scene. He's an intelligent and articulate guy that could do well in another field, possibly boxing related.

If he sticks to boxing, which it appears he is, every fight will help to distance him from his medical issues. Ironically, he may have to weather some real shots to the head to start to ease people minds about his recovery.

El Kabong Guest

I worry about Mesi's brain but hell it seems we're all hypocrits because Edwin Valero and Marco Antonio Barerra have plates in their heads and no one really worries about them.

Thread Information