Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Naz Hall of Fame Bound

Excellent read Especially the story at the end.

By Glyn Leach
    There's a certain irony in Marco Antonio Barrera's retirement announcement coming at a point when his former opponent, Prince Naseem Hamed, has been proposed for induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

When the time comes, Barrera will be guaranteed his berth at Canastota -- his resume includes 25 world title fights, a champion in three weight divisions and a participant in some of the most memorable fights of his era. It's a no-brainer.

But he'll have to wait because it takes a half-decade of retirement before the gates of the IBHOF are opened to a fighter.

Can it really be over five years since Hamed's career was effectively finished by Barrera, who so thoroughly burst the Sheffield featherweight's undefeated bubble in Las Vegas in May 2001?

It seems so.

Hamed is one month younger than Barrera and turned pro three years after the Mexican. But he retired in 2002, at the age of 28, and with just the one loss -- by unanimous decision to Barrera -- on his record, which was capped, sealed and consigned to history at 36-1, 31 KOs.

That's an impressive log by anyone's standards and his former promoter, Frank Warren, has no doubts that the hard-hitting southpaw showman is worthy of a place in the Hall of Fame.

"He was a groundbreaking fighter," said Warren, "and at his peak he was without doubt head and shoulders above every featherweight in the division. He beat every one of the champions of his day."

For the record, Hamed defeated Steve Robinson for the WBO title, Tom "Boom Boom" Johnson for the IBF, Cesar Soto for the WBC, and the WBA champion, Wilfredo Vazquez, gave up his belt in order to face Hamed, the biggest star in the division at that time.

Hamed participated in 16 world title fights. While some of his opponents in those bouts were obscure (Said Lawal, KO1, March 1996) or had seen better days (Kevin Kelley, KO4 in that remarkable up-and-downer in New York, December 1997), others (Remigio Daniel Molina, Wayne McCullough) went on to challenge for world titles years after their defeat by Hamed, and two fighters stopped in the 11th by Hamed (Manuel Medina and Paul Ingle) went on to become world champions.

But to define Hamed with cold statistics would be failing to understand the phenomenon.

Without question, the Prince was the most exciting fighter of his era, an unorthodox power-puncher with natural talent to burn. His ring entrances were more WWE than Shawn Michaels himself and his fights were must-see events. Hamed had huge crossover appeal in Britain, where a younger-than-average fight crowd would pack arenas, never to be seen again once Elvis had left the building. These were Naz fans, not boxing fans.

But by the time the Hamed gravy train hit Vegas for the Barrera fight, it was as bloated, dysfunctional and delusional as any road trip undertaken by Elvis and the Memphis Mafia.

Hamed's final fight, against Manuel Calvo, 10 months after the Barrera defeat, was the fistic equivalent of the infamous concert in which an intoxicated, slurring Presley forgot the words to his songs -- a stumbling performance that was only a grotesque parody of far better days.

The writing had been on the wall for some time before Hamed's traumatic 36 minutes with Barrera. He'd long since begun to grow away from the things that had made him so successful in the first place.

His mentor and trainer, Brendan Ingle, was a long way in the past, replaced by a confused corner that saw Oscar Suarez and Emanuel Steward battle for the attention of the Prince while simultaneously and studiously ignoring each other.

Frank Warren, the promoter who took Hamed to the top after false starts under Mickey Duff and Barry Hearn, walked away after a vicious power struggle with Hamed's elder brother, Riath.

Hamed's world was already in meltdown before Barrera, and Warren believes that the Mexican caught him at just the right time.

"I was off the scene by that point -- I just didn't want to deal with his brother," he said. "But I'd tried to make a fight with Barrera for years. However his manager, Ricardo Maldonado, always seemed to find a good reason not to fight Naz."

Would a peak Hamed have beaten Barrera? Warren thinks so. And he is convinced that Hamed is a worthy candidate for induction into the Hall of Fame.

"He ticks all the boxes at one stage in his career," said the promoter.

I agree. Never mind the what-might-have-been, for three years Hamed ruled the featherweight world, entertaining a lot of people in the process. That deserves to be recognized by the boxing world.

In November 1996 I sat at ringside with Hamed when Barrera defended his WBO super bantamweight title against Junior Jones in Tampa, on the undercard to Roy Jones's light heavyweight title fight/spar with the ghost of Mike McCallum. Hamed and his wife were vacationing in Florida, courtesy of Walt Disney, at the time and initially had seemed reluctant to travel the relatively short distance to Tampa -- they were young, in love, and chilling.

Steve Bunce and I were the only British writers to have made the trip and we were in constant contact with Naz's telephone answering machine.

"Naz, get down here; come and watch the bloke you'll make millions fighting one day. "Pick up the phone Naz, I know you're there."

"Please Naz …" Our campaign worked and on fight night, Naz and Eleasha picked us up at our hotel and took us to the arena in a massive stretch limo. It was the beginning of a highly surreal evening for all of us, I think.

Naz had yet to make his U.S. debut or experience the trappings of stardom stateside style. The four of us spent the majority of the short limo drive marveling at the amount of compartments to open and gadgets we had to play with. British taxis aren't like that.

It was a chilly evening, but Naz was strutting his stuff in a leather waistjacket and no shirt. He may only have been 5-foot-3, but he still managed to be physically imposing. His biceps were huge and he happily flexed and posed for the crowd when he walked through the arena, some of whom recognized him even at that stage of his career, and some of whom booed -- which only made him flex and pose even more. It was all in good fun.

Lou DiBella, then still with HBO, was lurking at ringside. "Now there's a guy I'd like to meet," he said to me, easily loud enough for Hamed to hear. But the Prince was busy pressing the flesh and signing autographs. Eventually I made the intro but I am still waiting to receive my cut of the mega millions contract that would be signed between HBO and Hamed before long. Lou? Naz? You've probably lost my address. No problem, it's … Yeah, right.

Junior Jones got word that Hamed was at ringside and asked through a messenger if the Prince would come and visit him in his dressing room before his challenge to Barrera. Two years earlier, Jones had been stopped in defense of his WBA bantamweight title. His day appeared to have passed. He had put a winning run together since losing the title, but was a big underdog against the undefeated Mexican.

Naz happily obliged, bounded off backstage and reported back: "We had a good chat. Says he's seen all my fights. Nice guy. I think Junior needed a bit of a confidence boost."

After three rounds with Barrera, Jones had recovered all the confidence he would ever need. He seemingly couldn't miss the Mexican with right-handers. And they were doing damage.

Naz turned to me between rounds and asked: "He's not always this bad, is he?"

Two rounds later it was over as Barrera's corner entered the ring while the round was in progress, thus rescuing him from further punishment. Barrera was in front on the cards but things definitely were not going to his plan. And by getting Barrera disqualified by stepping through the ropes during a round, Ricardo Maldonado and Co. saved him from the first defeat proper of his career -- that would come five months later when Jones outpointed him in their rematch.

During his victory celebrations, Junior came over to our side of the ring and cheerily waved to Naz. But we were quietly stunned by what we had just seen.

Barrera was a forlorn figure as he sat on the press conference podium later that evening. He was deep in thought and remained sitting there as the room began to empty. As Naz and myself walked past him, the Prince stopped to shake his hand.

"Hard luck mate," said Hamed. "But you'd better do some work on blocking those right-handers."

And from that point on, I knew that Naz thought he had Barrera's number. I thought he did, too. Funny how things can work out.

Glyn Leach is the editor of Boxing Monthly.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3062818
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Naz Hall of Fame Bound

Good read cc Fenster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah I'd love to see NAZ in the HOF..i mean that guy.....pure entertainment man.....he always put on a show for the fans wether we hated him or not....was always looking to fight with style...quality fighter.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That story is real funny in a wierd way. It is almost exactly what happend to him. Barrera was Hamed's Junio Jones.

Great stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On another note. I really have no simpathy for fighters that make it big and then forget the hard work that got them there in the first place. It is almost like they think they got that far and they should get a free ticket the rest of the way. Sorry bro, you always have to pay your dues.

He might be a Hall of Famer. But defenately not first ballod. Make him wait for it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel
    Good read cc Fenster
    Yeah it is. CC back.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc fen

good stuff
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Real good story......thanks
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good Read CC Fen

I'm not too sure if Hamed deserves to be in the HOF though

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is a very well written and entertaining story about the Prince, and a good read to boot.

I think that Hamed is a worthy inductee to the HOF, because he brought a whole generation of younger fans to boxing and was a quality boxer at his peak, and although he fell from grace, gave an awful lot to boxing. I guess I'm pleased that his misdemeanors outside of the ring haven't coloured the objectivity of the HOF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not a big Naz fan, but to be objective, I think he opened up a lot of doors and made a lot of $$$ for lower-weight fighters. As a boxer alone, he might not deserve it, but as a boxer, showman, and salesman of the sport, I gotta give him my vote. He made Barrera's career, and indirectly, that helped set up the careers of Morales and Pacman. Without Hamed's presence in that division, those guys probably wouldn't have ended up the PPV stars they ended up being.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Naz is with out a doubt HOF worthy....He brought the action in the ring and knew how to sell himself outside of the ring as well.....Arrogant as all S*** but he was good for the sport
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great article, but i know a lot people wont agree with me but he damn sure aint no damn hall of farmer. Maybe if he beat Barrea, but not only did he lose he got his ass kicked from the window to the wall. At the same time i must admit i am a little bias because i hated him with a passion. So on second thought maybe i shouldn't even be responding to this. F@ck you Naz

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should I say it or do you guys already know what I'm gonna say about the IBHF?
    (In regards to McGuigan )

Ah! fuck it!!!

If they let McGuigan in then that pretty much leaves the door wide open.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Should I say it or do you guys already know what I'm gonna say about the IBHF?
    (In regards to McGuigan )

Ah! F*** it!!!

If they let McGuigan in then that pretty much leaves the door wide open.
    McGuigan has had an immeasurable affect on boxing over here Mick.
    I myself am a detractor of Barry as i always contest peoples claims that he was a brilliant boxer.
    He wasn't he was a limited boxer with a massive heart, great chin and will to fight.
    But...
    Over here he is a legend, Americans cannot realise the significance that Barry had on this country.
    He was the one man that could quel the constant to and fro violence between both sides of Irelands political and religious divides and in the process of doing so he bettered relations between Ireland and the English.
    On top of all that, he has been a huge ambassador for the sport, it is because of him that Ireland now has a great wealth of young amateur Boxers, a number of good Professional prospects and indeed he was the inspiration for such Irish fighters as Lee, Duddy, McCullough, Dunne and Macklin.
    He has also has contributed to the sport through his presence as a tv personality and indeed celebrity, a position he utilises to promote the sport of boxing and offer inspiration to young boxers everywher.
    Ask anyone in the Uk or Ireland who Bernard Hopkins is? Who's Kelly Pavlik? Joel Casamayor?
    Floyd Mayweather? A smallpercentage may no that they're boxers.
    Ask anybody who Barry McGuigan is and they'll no

I guess itl be the same for Naz, altho i don't no if i approve as Naz was less of a positive infleunce for me

Thread Information