Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lou DiBullie's bluff was called: Taylor out. Pavlik/Duddy in the works.

Share/Bookmark
    SigmaMu Guest

Default Lou DiBullie's bluff was called: Taylor out. Pavlik/Duddy in the works.

Lou DiBullie's bluff was called: Taylor out. Pavlik/Duddy in the works.

These 2 articles are from The Youngstown Vindicator, Pavlik's hometown paper.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Jermain Taylor, whom Pavlik knocked out last month, opted not to seek a rematch now.

By JOE SCALZO
    VINDICATOR SPORTS STAFF

YOUNGSTOWN — Kelly Pavlik's first title defense will come in a familiar place.

The Youngstown middleweight will defend his WBC title against undefeated Irishman John Duddy on Jan. 26 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., the same place where he won the title last month with a seventh-round knockout against Jermain Taylor.

The fight, which will be televised by HBO, isn't official, but looks very likely, according to several sources.

"It's a solid fight," said Pavlik's trainer, Jack Loew.

"He's [Duddy] a dangerous kid who'll bring a helluva crowd with him."

Duddy, who is originally from Derry, Northern Ireland, and now lives in New York City, is 21-0 with 16 knockouts. He will fight Prince Arron on Saturday in Dublin, which should serve as a tune-up for Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs).

"It looks like it's going to happen," said Duddy's matchmaker, Jim Borzell. "Of course we're delighted. Any time a champion gives a challenger a shot, we're grateful.

"I expect an exciting fight between two of the finest fellas in the division."

Many expected Pavlik's first fight to be against Taylor, who had a rematch clause with Pavlik for a nontitle bout at 166 pounds.

But Taylor's handlers opted not to exercise the clause.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Published: Tuesday, October 16, 2007
    Pavlik to face Duddy Jan. 26
    The fight in Atlantic City is the Youngstown middleweight's first title defense.
    By JOE SCALZO
    VINDICATOR SPORTS STAFF
    YOUNGSTOWN — Talk about your fighting Irish.

Youngstown's Kelly Pavlik, who has Irish, Italian and Slovak roots, will defend his WBC middleweight title against one of boxing's biggest draws in Ireland native John Duddy.

The fight, which is scheduled to take place Jan. 26 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City and will be televised on HBO, is almost sure to be a sellout given Duddy's fanatic following in nearby New York City (where he now lives) and the Youngstown contingent that cheered on Pavlik for September's bout with Jermain Taylor in Atlantic City.

"It's going to be crazier than last time," said Pavlik's co-manager Cameron Dunkin. "It'll be nuts and it's going to be so much fun."

Promoters originally wanted the fight to take place at Madison Square Garden on St. Patrick's Day, but the arena was already booked for the NCAA Tournament. Because Felix Trinidad is likely to fight Roy Jones Jr. Jan. 19 at the Garden, they opted to move the fight to Atlantic City, a convenient location for fans of both fighters.

"I'd much rather fight in the Garden, but Atlantic City is great for us," said Pavlik's trainer, Jack Loew. "The fans showed a lot of support."

At least 5,000 Youngstown-area fans traveled to Atlantic City for the Taylor fight and promoters are expecting at least that many in January. Duddy, meanwhile, will be able to draw from his fan base in New York, along with the large Irish contingent in nearby Philadelphia and even Boston, said Duddy's matchmaker, Jim Borzell.

"John's a very charismatic guy," Borzell said. "John makes a lot of money, unlike Kelly, for just a regular fight. Nothing against Kelly, but he hasn't drawn the kind of numbers that John brought in last year.

"For our last Garden show, they did $600,000 in business just on the show. That's nothing to laugh at."

Taylor, who suffered the first loss of his career when he was knocked out by Pavlik in the seventh round, had an automatic, non-title rematch clause at 166 pounds. Although he told reporters several times he planned to trigger the clause, that seems unlikely.

"If they want to do a rematch, we'll do it," said Dunkin. "Kelly wants that fight."

Added Loew, "I told everybody that wasn't going to be the first fight back. They [Taylor's promoters] could have pushed the issue if they wanted."

Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs) will be more experienced than Duddy (21-0, 16 KOs), even though the Irishman is 28 — three years older than Pavlik. At 6-foot-2, Pavlik also has a height advantage against the 5-11 Duddy.

Although several fighters were mentioned as possible opponents for Pavlik, including Sergio Mora, IBF champion Arthur Abraham and WBA champion Felix Sturm, Duddy's fan base and potential proved irresistible.

"I don't think he [Duddy] is up to Kelly's level right now," said Loew. "But we're going to train as hard as we can. We want to hang on to this championship for awhile.

"I don't know if it's going to be a long or a quick evening for Duddy, but either way it's not in his favor."

Duddy will fight a tune-up bout with 6-foot-3 Englishman Prince Arron (10-2) Saturday in Dublin, Ireland. He had been scheduled to fight Uruguay's Noe Tulio Gonzalez Alcob but he was forced to withdraw with a detached retina. Another Duddy bout, which would have taken place Dec. 8, has been canceled.

"Fighting someone 6-3 kind of helps out a little bit because he'll be working against a guy near Kelly's size," said Borzell. "We're delighted about the bout.

"To me, it's [the Pavlik bout] gonna be a major shootout. I don't know how long it's gonna last. Kelly's a big banger and John can [punch] fairly hard himself."

The Jan. 26 date, which comes almost four months after the Taylor fight, will give Pavlik a chance to potentially fight four times in 2008.

"The kid will make a helluva buck," said Loew.

In the meantime, Pavlik, who could not be reached for comment, has a busy schedule lined up. He flipped the coin before Sunday's Dolphins-Browns game and he's scheduled to throw out the first pitch before tonight's American League Championship Series game between the Indians and Red Sox at Jacobs Field.

Pavlik, who also won the WBO title against Taylor, will attend the WBO convention in Puerto Rico at the end of the month to accept the "Fighter of the Year" award. Dunkin has received several calls from promoters wanting Pavlik to attend upcoming bouts across the country — all expenses paid.

Pavlik is also scheduled to attend the Nov. 10 fight between Miguel Cotto and Shane Mosley at Madison Square Garden, then fly back to attend the next day's Browns-Steelers game at Heinz Field.

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel has also invited Pavlik to travel with the team Nov. 17 for the Buckeyes' game at Michigan.

"Everyone just loves this guy," said Dunkin.

SigmaMu Guest

Default Re: Lou DiBullie's bluff was called: Taylor out. Pavlik/Duddy in the works.

Pavlik will attend the WBO convention in Puerto Rico at the end of the month to accept the "Fighter of the Year" award.
    Pavlik's stock is at an all time high. They want him here and there and everywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lou DiBullie's bluff was called: Taylor out. Pavlik/Duddy in the works.

I always worry when a champion fights a supposedly "limited" fighter. This will test Pavlik's motivation as he will not be the underdog. I hope he does not take Duddy lightly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Poor John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    Lou DiBullie's bluff was called: Taylor out. Pavlik/Duddy in the works. Jermain Taylor, whom Pavlik knocked out last month, opted not to seek a rematch now.
    Good! Fwock Lou DiBella right in the chute!

I’m not surprised that Taylor opted out of the rematch. He has a lot of rebuilding to do in & out of the ring. He needs to get back to his prior self…he’s lost his hunger & his confidence…bring back Pat Burns.

Many expected Pavlik's first fight to be against Taylor, who had a rematch clause with Pavlik for a nontitle bout at 166 pounds. But Taylor's handlers opted not to exercise the clause.
    I aint really down with Pavlik moving up to 166 or 168.

He’s been just under the radar at 160lbs all these years & now that he’s arrived…I don’t want him going anywhere. Let them say that Taylor’s handlers are the ones that backed out of the right…people aren’t stupid.

I’m sure it was a little more than just Taylor’s handlers backing out. Taylor knows that Pavlik would more than likely spark his ass out again. Taylor got out jabbed & over powered…something he’s never had happen before. I watched the presser before the Taylor Spinks fight & listened to him…he may have thought that he was ready for the fight…that he was prepped for Pavlik…but I truly believe that he took Kelly waaaaay too lightly.

He thought because he beat Hopkins & Wright that there was no one else out there to pose a threat…he was wrong. During the press conference he called both Miranda & Pavlik out & Kelly just chuckled at him.

HBO was the one that aired it & you could see Jack grinning from ear to ear because he knew that the winner of Pavlik Miranda was going to get a shot at Taylor & I would imagine he knew his bwoy was going to win against Miranda just as easily as he thought Kelly would win against Taylor.

Honestly, I thought Pavlik would have a ruffer night with Miranda than Taylor…but he took both of their licks & boxed his way through them. Lowe said that Pavlik would walk right through Miranda & he was right. Funny thing is that he was in the minority with that thought.

Jack was talking about all the mistakes that Taylor made & how Kelly would capitalize on those mistakes because they were the same ones that Kelly made & the same ones that they had just corrected in the gym.

Fantastic.

Taylor, who suffered the first loss of his career when he was knocked out by Pavlik in the seventh round, had an automatic, non-title rematch clause at 166 pounds. Although he told reporters several times he planned to trigger the clause, that seems unlikely.
    Again…I’m glad that Taylor’s takin some time to regroup…but it won’t do him any good. Pavlik’s got his number. All he has to do is back Taylor up, fire that over hand right off of the jab, drop a few uppers, & he’s go the fight won.

Although several fighters were mentioned as possible opponents for Pavlik, including Sergio Mora, IBF champion Arthur Abraham and WBA champion Felix Sturm, Duddy's fan base and potential proved irresistible.
    I’d love to see Pavlik vs. Abraham…not so much Sturm. I truly think that he’d knock Felix out. Pavlik’s a hell of a boxer when he needs to be & that jab of his can change the tide of a fight…couple that with his power & you can count on a TKO victory.

Not really that big on the Duddy fight happening…but so be it, if it does.

Pavlik, who also won the WBO title against Taylor, will attend the WBO convention in Puerto Rico at the end of the month to accept the "Fighter of the Year" award. Dunkin has received several calls from promoters wanting Pavlik to attend upcoming bouts across the country — all expenses paid.
    Good for Kelly. I’m thrilled to death that he’s getting shipped around all expenses paid. FOTY sweetens the pop. I love it!!!!

"Everyone just loves this guy," said Dunkin.
    Totally agree with the above.

Kelly Pavlik for President!!!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw
    I always worry when a champion fights a supposedly "limited" fighter. This will test Pavlik's motivation as he will not be the underdog. I hope he does not take Duddy lightly.

You know what?

That's a good point & something that I was going to hit on...you beat me to it.

Most fighters always come up short against tune ups or whatever you want to call it. They don't get up for the fight like they should & usually undertrain. The under dog mentality has often benefitted KP. I hope that he doesn't think that this is just a cake walk & runs into something that he shouldn't.

Although I don't like Duddy...he does have power & power can change the tides...fast.

While many say that Duddy lost the Yory Bwoy fight...he did not. He walked away with the win & probably learned a few things...or two.

Pavlik needs to remain vigilant & hungry...it's served him well in the past. Duddy's a brawler & could make things messy for Pavlik if he's not 100% for their match up.

Honestly, I can't see him losing to the likes of Duddy, especially seeing as how he's handled much better fighters & also tested power twice that of Duddy's...but anything can & will happen in boxing.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw

You know what?

That's a good point & something that I was going to hit on...you beat me to it.

Most fighters always come up short against tune ups or whatever you want to call it. They don't get up for the fight like they should & usually undertrain. The under dog mentality has often benefitted KP. I hope that he doesn't think that this is just a cake walk & runs into something that he shouldn't.

Although I don't like Duddy...he does have power & power can change the tides...fast.

While many say that Duddy lost the Yory Bwoy fight...he did not. He walked away with the win & probably learned a few things...or two.

Pavlik needs to remain vigilant & hungry...it's served him well in the past. Duddy's a brawler & could make things messy for Pavlik if he's not 100% for their match up.

Honestly, I can't see him losing to the likes of Duddy, especially seeing as how he's handled much better fighters & also tested power twice that of Duddy's...but anything can & will happen in boxing.
    Duddy's power won't bother Pavlik at all if Pavlik can take Miranda's best shots flush he will take Duddy's no problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe i'm talkin out my ass, but i don't believe this crap for one bit. This is coming out a paper in Pavlik's hometown where he is loved darely. I don't think Taylor opted out the rematch. Their probably saying this to make Taylor look bad and make Pavlik look better. I won't believe until i see in coming from a more credible source. But a part of me do want Taylor to wait a little while. I hope they fight immediately after Pavlik kicks Duddys ass.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good keep Kelly busy with all the apperances, meanwhile Duddy will be training. I hope he gains alot of weight , I like Kelly but he's going down. Down I say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest
    Good keep Kelly busy with all the apperances, meanwhile Duddy will be training. I hope he gains alot of weight , I like Kelly but he's going down. Down I say.
    The only way Kelly is going down in this fight is if he accidentally trips over Duddy while he's on the floor snoozing.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bigger they are they harder they fall, I just find it funny how all these people who didnt know shit about Pavlik before January are all aboard the bandwagon. Some of the same people that were sure he would lose to Miranda and Taylor are now all on his ballbag... Fickle, fickle fight fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bigger they are they harder they fall, I just find it funny how all these people who didnt know S*** about Pavlik before January are all aboard the bandwagon. Some of the same people that were sure he would lose to Miranda and Taylor are now all on his ballbag... Fickle, fickle fight fans.
    I hear ya bro'. I actually predicted he would lose to Taylor, but I'm behind him and have been for a couple of years. I thought he would beat Miranda in good fashion, just not as quick as he did. Who knows; it would be something to talk about if Duddy waxed Pavlik huh
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

ICB Guest

Bigger they are they harder they fall, I just find it funny how all these people who didnt know S*** about Pavlik before January are all aboard the bandwagon. Some of the same people that were sure he would lose to Miranda and Taylor are now all on his ballbag... Fickle, fickle fight fans.
    I have been following Pavlik for quite a while thats why i predicted him to stop Taylor i see nothing in Duddy that will give Pavlik much trouble let alone beat him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Duddy will eat punches, he will be punished and lacerated, he'll be knocked down, he'll be abused, outboxed....He's not in Pavliks class

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION
    I hear ya bro'. I actually predicted he would lose to Taylor, but I'm behind him and have been for a couple of years. I thought he would beat Miranda in good fashion, just not as quick as he did. Who knows; it would be something to talk about if Duddy waxed Pavlik huh
    Totally agree with you 2,which is why I made the thread crediting the Pavlik fans who were there from the start after the JT fight. They were his true fans who stood by his side. I learnt my lesson from choosing against him in the Miranda fight,no wya would I do that again,not at 160 anyway

Thread Information