Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do people confuse exposure with hype?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why do people confuse exposure with hype?

It's a generally because fans in the know want to warn non-boxing fans that these untested guys who have the big name aren't actaully all that, it's just one of the nuisances of being an up to date fan, we all know more or less never to believe the hype, and we're generally less romantic about boxing, which is a shame.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

SigmaMu Guest

Default Re: Why do people confuse exposure with hype?

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    I've seen Sergio Mora threads over the last couple days saying he is overratted. I've also seen similar threads recently about John Duddy, Alfonso Gomez, Sam Peter etc.

But what do people really mean when they say a fighter is overratted? Overeratted by whom?

I've responded about Mora in another thread so I won't again here but take John Duddy for example. People say he is overratted but how is he? The vast majority of knowledgeble fight fans and virtually all boxing writers, commentators etc rate him completely accurately, an exciting brawler who has a crowd pleasing style and defensive frailties, I've never heard anyone make any greater claims than that.

It's exactly the same for Alfonso Gomez who is always a popular subject for the overratted tag. Again overatted by whom? Has ANY boxing writer or commentator ever described his a potential world beater? Has anybody ever posted as much on here?

Sam Peter is another example, with people saying he's overatted now he got knocked down by Jameel McCline. But how was he rated before? He's a strong guy with big power, a decent chin and has an excellent chance as establishing himself as a world champion in the future. That's how he was rated before, and it's still accurate now.

Nobody has ever rated him as a potential all time great heavyweight or the next Mike Tyson, he is what he is and has been rated as such.

I actually think the most overatted thing in boxing is the use of the overratted tag, which people churn out every time a fighter has a poor performance.
    This is a great post...from anyone else. In fact, if this was anyone else I'd be coolclicking them, saying "great post, I agree completely." But I'm displeased. You're not supposed to be the clever one with boxing knowledge, you're here for humour and to lower the tone. Remember that for future posts.
    Bilbo rules. I appreciate this dude a lot. He is a lot smarter than people think or know.
    He can be very helpful in the technical dept too.
    CC Bilbo

Thread Information