Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fighters You like that fell short of winning the title!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighters You like that fell short of winning the title!!!

Herol Graham springs to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to go with the Bomber Graham camp. Top notch fighter, good bloke and everyone seemed to love him. It seems inconcievable that he didnt win at least one version of a world title. I am sure Bomber must think to himself "what might have been" and feel a tinge of regret everyday.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Danny Williams is one for me, hes a great fighter, with an awesome sense of humor and it would have been amazing to see him being the massive underdog against Tyson, to beating Klit. ( im just dreaming people )

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nicky Cook - First name that came to mind. The stoppage to Luevano was horrible to watch, because he waited so long for his chance. Hopefully he has some of that Clinton Woods 'never say never' attitude.

Danny Williams - When he's at his best and focused, I believe he could do it. Danny unfortunately, is his own worst enemy.

Andrew Golota - Why he low blowed Bowe repeatedly is beyond me. He was owning him badly in the second fight I felt, Bowe didn't know where he was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SeanE
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGION
    Easy for me;

Jerry Quarry who had a fantastic chin and good punch but cut way too easily, but a damn good fighter IMO
    Emanuel Augustus, who really pissed me off with his theatrics and wasted talent. A horrible record but many of those losses were his own fault due to trying to be a showman than a fighter. A damn shame
    At HW, I would agree with you about Quarry, and add George Chuvalo, from the same era as Quarry, as favorite of mine. Fought Ali tough twice, beat Quarry and fought all the other greats of that generation. I loved Henry "Quick" Tillis, too.

Others - Mickey Ward, how can you not love Irish Micky? Yory Boy Campas, for sure. He was so close but could never break through against the best.
    You'll be happy to know that Yory Boy Campas did in fact win the IBF Jr Middleweight Title by KOing Raul Marquez after his unsuccessful run at WW. He defended his title 3 times before being stopped by Fernando Vargas.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Inactive:
    Micky Ward
    Bert 'Smokin' Cooper
    Ron Lyle
    Kid Azteca
    'Yaqui' Lopez
    Tony Ayala Jr

Active:
    Francisco 'Panchito' Bojado
    Amin Asikainen
    Sam Soliman
    Tony Ayala Jr.?! I heard that he r@ped a woman real, real bad, and that's what got him sent to prison. Like he sodomized her and nearly killed her and shat. How can you like a guy like that?
    I liked him in the ring as a fighter not as a person.
    2 different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins
    Inactive:
    Micky Ward
    Bert 'Smokin' Cooper
    Ron Lyle
    Kid Azteca
    'Yaqui' Lopez
    Tony Ayala Jr

Active:
    Amin Asikainen
    Sam Soliman
    Smokin Bert Came within 1 or 2 Punches(so they say) Vs Real deal.His "title" was not literal ,look at all the Champs he fought he faulterd bad. "smoking" Indeed. Funny as sh!!! guy though.
    Lopez was in the Golden Era of Light heavys.Had Saad Muhammad Going In 7th or 8th but Saad was concrete.Gave Galindez all he wanted.....He had to wait for the IBHOF before he got his Title.
    Ayalas A Absolute Arsshole.frankly after I heard Of Incidents I cheered Campas as he Beat the Dog squeeze out of his Comebacking azz.Yeah he had potential but He Farked himself........but Now hes "Bubba #2"
    Micky ward no doubt......Think he got cut vs Phillips and got Screwd??
    Bojado was never meant to be..
    Spot on Jeff Bert was very close to taking out Evander what a good fight that was. He also had Moorer out in the 1st round but just couldn't finish him off. He also dropped Moorer in the 5ht round and then Moorer took his a** out in that same round.
    I agree on Lopez man he was in some tremendous era of Light Heavys and fought some of the best guys then.
    Ayala is more then an asshole but he liked him as a fighter he had all the tools in the world to be something special and he threw it all away.
    Mickys one of me favorites hes fights against Green, Quinonez, Burton, Zab & Gatti are all fights he gave all he had.
    Bojado was overhyped BIIGGG TIME and just took a S***.
    Ward really had a superb Left to the gut.He had bad run on ESPN and lost to guys then that couldn't dream of hanging with him TEN years later.KO of Neary,Veader & Sanchez also Highlight reel quality.Sometimes these "Journey men" bang back.
    When I think of Cooper I go through the Coulda,woulda,shoulda stuff.Had His demons been checked and head on right.....Could have been a force .Check out his war with Mercer also .Moorer Vs Cooper indeed Classic brutality

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Inactive:
    Micky Ward
    Bert 'Smokin' Cooper
    Ron Lyle
    Kid Azteca
    'Yaqui' Lopez
    Tony Ayala Jr

Active:
    Amin Asikainen
    Sam Soliman
    Tony Ayala Jr.?! I heard that he r@ped a woman real, real bad, and that's what got him sent to prison. Like he sodomized her and nearly killed her and shat. How can you like a guy like that?
    I liked him in the ring as a fighter not as a person.
    2 different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins
    Inactive:
    Micky Ward
    Bert 'Smokin' Cooper
    Ron Lyle
    Kid Azteca
    'Yaqui' Lopez
    Tony Ayala Jr

Active:
    Amin Asikainen
    Sam Soliman
    Smokin Bert Came within 1 or 2 Punches(so they say) Vs Real deal.His "title" was not literal ,look at all the Champs he fought he faulterd bad. "smoking" Indeed. Funny as sh!!! guy though.
    Lopez was in the Golden Era of Light heavys.Had Saad Muhammad Going In 7th or 8th but Saad was concrete.Gave Galindez all he wanted.....He had to wait for the IBHOF before he got his Title.
    Ayalas A Absolute Arsshole.frankly after I heard Of Incidents I cheered Campas as he Beat the Dog squeeze out of his Comebacking azz.Yeah he had potential but He Farked himself........but Now hes "Bubba #2"
    Micky ward no doubt......Think he got cut vs Phillips and got Screwd??
    Bojado was never meant to be..
    Spot on Jeff Bert was very close to taking out Evander what a good fight that was. He also had Moorer out in the 1st round but just couldn't finish him off. He also dropped Moorer in the 5ht round and then Moorer took his a** out in that same round.
    I agree on Lopez man he was in some tremendous era of Light Heavys and fought some of the best guys then.
    Ayala is more then an asshole but he liked him as a fighter he had all the tools in the world to be something special and he threw it all away.
    Mickys one of me favorites hes fights against Green, Quinonez, Burton, Zab & Gatti are all fights he gave all he had.
    Bojado was overhyped BIIGGG TIME and just took a S***.
    Ward really had a superb Left to the gut.He had bad run on ESPN and lost to guys then that couldn't dream of hanging with him TEN years later.KO of Neary,Veader & Sanchez also Highlight reel quality.Sometimes these "Journey men" bang back.
    When I think of Cooper I go through the Coulda,woulda,shoulda stuff.Had His demons been checked and head on right.....Could have been a force .Check out his war with Mercer also .Moorer Vs Cooper indeed Classic brutality
    No doubt I have the Mercer vs. Cooper fight.
    We can't leave out his fights agains Hipp & Coffee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, I heard....... I think on Team Evander.....

that Cooper had Holyfields number, but something happened that night that had Evander win it.

I like how CutMeMick said that a Man outside the ring and inside the ring are totally different entities.

With gloves on, the transformation is phenomenal.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Howard Eastman
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    Yeah, I heard....... I think on Team Evander.....

that Cooper had Holyfields number, but something happened that night that had Evander win it.

I like how CutMeMick said that a Man outside the ring and inside the ring are totally different entities.

With gloves on, the transformation is phenomenal.
    Crazy thing about that fight with Holyfield is Cooper was actually a last minute sub....,ON SIX days notice.
    He was signed to fight Tyson when tyson had a "rib" Injury in traning.Then They went out and signed Italian cream puff Fransico Damiani ..then he dropped out.Along comes Cooper off of Good win over Tuff guy Joe Hipp. Cooper was being called "Tysonesqe" in style by some but with that cross arm Defense.
    I dont think Cooper had his number per se but I have to say...and Im thinking hard but That is the worst I have ever seen Holyfield hurt in a fight after those booming right hands he was OUT.
    Remember immediatley after that they called time for a Split glove.People say the break saved Evander.But on this Im biased so I dont think so .

Thread Information