Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: determining a good chin from the glass chins.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default determining a good chin from the glass chins.

Is it true that an overbite jaw is stronger than an align jaw? Becuase its more hidden deeper and compact down under the top teeths.

anyone know about this too? or anyone have any theory?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: determining a good chin from the glass chins.

I can see how that could help, the jaw is the most vulnerable spot, so less of it exposed the better. The physical makeup of the fighter themselves is a more determining factor. Some people just take better shots than others. Below are three guys who I use as examples of who I think took great punches, but for different reasons..

You got a guy like Holyfield, it almost seemed inhuman with the shots he could take flush, as long as he was not physically tired.

Lennox Lewis: Many considered him to have a weak jaw, but I think he actually had an iron chin, as long as he could see the punch coming. Lewis was only ever really vulnerable when he was not focused. So many caught him with amazing shots at the end of their punches, but he took them.

I remember when Mike Tyson was destroying everyone, a lot of people would say it was his 19.5 inch neck that made him take great punches. That was bull!! It was his defensive prowess and his tucked in chin that made fighters unable to land clean against him. Also the fact that guys were afraid to settle into a punch with him, due to them leaving themselves open his amazing speed and good power, helped him a lot. When a fighter got Tyson frustrated, his defenses started coming down and his chin was made available.

All three could take a punch, but I feel Tyson's chin was the weakest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like your analysis, but no way Tyson's chin was the weakest. Lewis is the only one of those fighters to have been ko'd.

Watch all of Tyson's losses and he took massive punishment before going down. He never took one punch and fell. It was always several. Lewis went to sleep. Tyson just took severe beatings and still wasn't in lala land.

Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame
    I like your analysis, but no way Tyson's chin was the weakest. Lewis is the only one of those fighters to have been ko'd.

Watch all of Tyson's losses and he took massive punishment before going down. He never took one punch and fell. It was always several. Lewis went to sleep. Tyson just took severe beatings and still wasn't in lala land.

You're right. I've said the same thing before, no one KO punch ever got Mike Tyson. He always had to take a good ass whippin before he was worn down and knocked out. Except for his last two fights where he just basically sat down once he got tired and quit.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius "Marvelous" Rain
    Is it true that an overbite jaw is stronger than an align jaw? Becuase its more hidden deeper and compact down under the top teeths.

anyone know about this too? or anyone have any theory?
    i got a huge over bite too
    guys like arthur abraham,librado andrade,etc. i wonder if thet have one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw
    I can see how that could help, the jaw is the most vulnerable spot, so less of it exposed the better. The physical makeup of the fighter themselves is a more determining factor. Some people just take better shots than others. Below are three guys who I use as examples of who I think took great punches, but for different reasons..

You got a guy like Holyfield, it almost seemed inhuman with the shots he could take flush, as long as he was not physically tired.

Lennox Lewis: Many considered him to have a weak jaw, but I think he actually had an iron chin, as long as he could see the punch coming. Lewis was only ever really vulnerable when he was not focused. So many caught him with amazing shots at the end of their punches, but he took them.

I remember when Mike Tyson was destroying everyone, a lot of people would say it was his 19.5 inch neck that made him take great punches. That was bull!! It was his defensive prowess and his tucked in chin that made fighters unable to land clean against him. Also the fact that guys were afraid to settle into a punch with him, due to them leaving themselves open his amazing speed and good power, helped him a lot. When a fighter got Tyson frustrated, his defenses started coming down and his chin was made available.

All three could take a punch, but I feel Tyson's chin was the weakest.

CC#25 on the Lewis statement.....Lennox the two times he was KO'd was caught by thunderous shots from BIG punchers...Rahman at the time was a hard hard puncher as was McCall and like you stated they were more or less Lewis not being focused then anything....

People tend to forget that in HW boxing any man can knock anyother man out on any given night...there is a lot of weight going behind those punches and while you can build the body the head and chin can not be built to absorb such force...

With that being said the answer to the thread is as a rule the overbite thing has nothing to do with it that is more myth....

It is usually the more square a jaw is the better ability to absorb a punch due to the fact the point of the chin is a soft spot for KO's kind of like behind the jaw...the more square the chin the more it distributes the force of the blow
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think more important than a good chin is the ability to get back up and win. Just as impressive if not more so than a good chin.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Chin -Heart & mind go hand in hand.The effects of a weak chin are apparent and obvious.
    A Weak heart reveals itself usally at the moments of peak adversity and when the going gets tuff.I think Tyson had a tremendous chin but he was ...With respect..very mentallly fragile and weak.The longer his career went and the harder the going got....He faulterd and panicked I.e arm breaking/ear biting/chest biting/biting the gloves (WTF).

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I think more important than a good chin is the ability to get back up and win. Just as impressive if not more so than a good chin.
    Agreed .CC to you chief.
    A solid chin is only as dependable as your secondary arsenal and defense.
    The Bad thing about a solid chin is you prove it over and over.In company with a fluid OVERALL defense it works but when the first thing you say about a guy is "He has a great chin"....Imo thats says alot about Him,not all good.

Thread Information