Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: So why was George Foreman let go from HBO?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default So why was George Foreman let go from HBO?

I was watching some old Floyd fights from 2001 & 2002 this morning and George Foreman was a great announcer IMO. He's twelve times better than Lennox Lewis. I was just wondering why he was let go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So why was George Foreman let go from HBO?

I thought he was involved in other business ventures so he left? I'm not really sure to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh man I loved big George on there. The way he saw fights showed a different light on how most of us think. He was a damn good color commentator! He would quite often point out something and boom, minutes later he was right.

Lennox has a hard time articulating his point across at times, he should get better at it as time progresses.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man I don't remember Foreman but I miss roy Jones on the tube.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The last HBO fight that George was a commentator on he announced he had to go because he had some boys to raise he said his goobyes and that was it.
    WHO NEXT ?Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Foreman was not a good announcer. He seems good when you compare him to Lennox Lewis, but that's only because everyone seems like a good announcer compared to Lennox.

Roy Jones was a phenomenal announcer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    George Foreman was not a good announcer. He seems good when you compare him to Lennox Lewis, but that's only because everyone seems like a good announcer compared to Lennox.

haha CC

was just aboutt o post bring back roy... he was as good on the mic as he was on the ring... didn't talk non stop, but just about everything he had to say had a damn good point.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    I was watching some old Floyd fights from 2001 & 2002 this morning and George Foreman was a great announcer IMO. He's twelve times better than Lennox Lewis. I was just wondering why he was let go.
    I remember that Foreman and Merchant were buttin heads alot.Who knows .Foreman would come off as repetitive and lets just say "not so polished".Personnally I liked him more than Jones.
    I remember when all hell broke loose after the Bowe Vs. Golota fight and fist were flying at EVERYONE.Sounds like He Saved Merchants Life lol,All you heard was George saying "No son,No son...You dont wanna do that...Leave em son...dont do that son..."standing there in front of Merchant.That was a disturbing night!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read somehwhere that their were some behind the scenes problems with the announce team not all getting along. Just hear say though. I actually have heard every reason posted so far. The only people who really know is HBO .

I agree with SweetPea and Preme, Roy Jones was a good commentator. He always seems so relaxed in everything he says, even when a guy gets knocked out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I liked Foreman because he stood up to Larry Merchant a lot. Don't get me wrong, I like Merchant, but none of the others seem to challenge him like Big Goerge did. That being said, I believe Roy Jones, Emmanuel Steward, and Lennox Lewis are/were VERY Good. Lennox simply needs experience working fights and talking on the camera. He makes excellent points during the fight and of course he would since he boxed. I would like to hear more of his insights! Roy, who needed polishing as a speaker on camera/in the mic, also called the fight very well. What he said usually happened. Emmanuel is very good as well and he is another who calls the fights well. Usually, when he says something it usually happens or is true. For example, there was a point in the corner after the fourth round of the Cotto-Judah fight when Cotto told his men "Ya esta acabao" meaning basically that Judah was done/did not want any more. Later in the fifth round Steward notcied the same thing about Judah!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, I miss George on there & when he'd argue with Larry @ times, that was more interesting & funny than some of the fights they were calling.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea

CC. I thought George sucked as an announcer, not only did he say some pretty ridiculous shit, he was just another HBO cheerleader. Remember his commentary for the Tito-Hopkins fight, it was like he had money on Tito.

And I was never a big Roy Jones fan but he was a good announcer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    He was charismatic, but he was a horrible announcer when it came to actually knowing anything about the sport.

El Kabong Guest

He knew a lot more than people give him credit for....he called out how Vitali would hammer Kirk Johnson if Kirk kept trying to land the left hook.

Foreman has experience as both a ferocious power puncher and a crafty (albeit slow and old) boxer....he can take both sides of that and relate it to whoever is fighting.

George I think wanted to go back home and preach and raise money for his various charities

Thread Information