Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Top Ten Post-War British Boxers

Is that a joke?

You have joe at number two, but eubank and hatton absolutely nowhere to be seen..

when in fact they should be in the top ten and i'd be somewhat insulted to see them in the honourable mentions section

Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tins06
    Thats a good list I was watching Ken buchanan on the History of boxing DVD I have...that Duran fight was brilliant...only one i wouldnt really be able to say is Randy Turpin...i mean robinson was very good at this point not in his Prime Prime...but good enough... The story i heard behind it was that Robinson
    was just drained for the fight he was on a 9 fight Euro tour i beleive...and Turpin got owned in the rematch.And ive never heard of turpin doing anything else.....
    Robinson was in his prime - his record was 128-1-2 at the time - but he may have taken Turpin lightly. However, that's not Turpins fault. He trained to fight the best and beat the best while at his physical prime. We can't detract.

Apart from that, Turpin had a record of 66-8-1 in an era that probably the toughest boxing era. He won the British, European & World Middleweight Titles (when they all meant something). He ko'd Don Cockell for the British & Commonwealth Lightheavy titles - the same Don Cockell who fought Marciano for the Heavyweight title. He then dropped back down to win the Commonwealth Middleweight title, European Middleweight Title and a version of the World title. He also lost a close fight to Bobo Olsen for Robinsons vacated title.

Whether or not he deserves to be in the top ten is subjective but he DID do a lot in boxing and is respected by historians worldwide.
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by taansend
    Thats a good list I was watching Ken buchanan on the History of boxing DVD I have...that Duran fight was brilliant...only one i wouldnt really be able to say is Randy Turpin...i mean robinson was very good at this point not in his Prime Prime...but good enough... The story i heard behind it was that Robinson
    was just drained for the fight he was on a 9 fight Euro tour i beleive...and Turpin got owned in the rematch.And ive never heard of turpin doing anything else.....
    Robinson was in his prime - his record was 128-1-2 at the time - but he may have taken Turpin lightly. However, that's not Turpins fault. He trained to fight the best and beat the best while at his physical prime. We can't detract.

Apart from that, Turpin had a record of 66-8-1 in an era that probably the toughest boxing era. He won the British, European & World Middleweight Titles (when they all meant something). He ko'd Don Cockell for the British & Commonwealth Lightheavy titles - the same Don Cockell who fought Marciano for the Heavyweight title. He then dropped back down to win the Commonwealth Middleweight title, European Middleweight Title and a version of the World title. He also lost a close fight to Bobo Olsen for Robinsons vacated title.

Whether or not he deserves to be in the top ten is subjective but he DID do a lot in boxing and is respected by historians worldwide.
    I agree Robinson was in his prime for the Turpin fight. He just took him lightly. That was pretty obvious in the rematch. Robinson brutalized Turpin to get his revenge. Not only ruining his career but ruining his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't understand why Honeyghan is so high with some people. I know he had a great win against Curry, but don't think he did enough to be above the likes of Benn (although I'll admit bias with Benn). Not seen anything of Conteh, but my dad reckons he would have been superb without problems outside the ring. Have to say that Hatton is best I've seen since started watching boxing in mid-80s. Have problem with Lewis because I'm not a big fan of the heavyweights, but I still think he's underrated by some people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wright
    Don't understand why Honeyghan is so high with some people. I know he had a great win against Curry, but don't think he did enough to be above the likes of Benn (although I'll admit bias with Benn). Not seen anything of Conteh, but my dad reckons he would have been superb without problems outside the ring. Have to say that Hatton is best I've seen since started watching boxing in mid-80s. Have problem with Lewis because I'm not a big fan of the heavyweights, but I still think he's underrated by some people.
    I can see why Benn would be rated above Lloyd. I can see why Lloyd would be rated above Nigel. Honeyghan was the dominant man in his division (for a short while). Benn wasn't. It's a difficult one to decide.

I totally skipped Conteh. Sorry John. He should be on there. He's a lot better than many I posted.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the only one i know is right is Lennox because he is by far the best fighter to come out of Britain.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Must also be remembered that Turpin was boxing superbly in the rematch in the US. Until he got caught by one of the best punches ever landed in the 10th.

Great list by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob

Must also be remembered that Turpin was boxing superbly in the rematch in the US. Until he got caught by one of the best punches ever landed in the 10th.

Great list by the way.
    Yeah, he was level on one card and down by just one & two points on the other cards. It was a close match and he was stopped on his feet (a la Castillo-Corrales) at the end of the round.

While VD was wrong in stating that Turpin was "brutalized" by Robinson (Randy had already been kayoed quicker) he was right when he said this was the beginning of the end of the Leamington Licker. He could never reach those heights again and it played on his psyche. For a mixed race kid (a rare thing in England in those days) to have a huge crowd singing "For He's A Jolly Good Fellow" as he outboxed the Worlds Greatest Fighter was a huge deal back then.

Thread Information