Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fernando Montiel!

I just finished seeing a replay of the Oct 4th replay of the WBO super flyweight fight between Fernando "Cochulito" Montiel and Luis Melendez. what a magnificent fight. Melendez is a huge puncher who had the champ Montiel's faced battered. Neither man backed down and Melendez's huge punch countered by Montiel's inability to defend against the over the top right made for high drama. The champ dropped Melendez in the 6th and the fight seemed over at that point. BUT 30 seconds into the 7th Melendez rocked the champ and seemed on the verge of victory. However Montiel came back with never ending hooks to the body and combinations to the head all which took its toll on the challenger. The challenger was hit with a vicious left to the body and he could not recover. It was a great fight to watch.

PS

have not watched the kessler Calzaghe fight yet but my bro tells me it was a fight which pitted two masters against one on another.

I said it before and I will say it again, Calzaghe is a freak of nature. What a phenomenal athlete to be fighting at that level at his age.
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fernando Montiel!

Just watched it tonight. It was a great fight. What a war.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog
    I just finished seeing a replay of the Oct 4th replay of the WBO super flyweight fight between Fernando "Cochulito" Montiel and Luis Melendez. what a magnificent fight. Melendez is a huge puncher who had the champ Montiel's faced battered. Neither man backed down and Melendez's huge punch countered by Montiel's inability to defend against the over the top right made for high drama. The champ dropped Melendez in the 6th and the fight seemed over at that point. BUT 30 seconds into the 7th Melendez rocked the champ and seemed on the verge of victory. However Montiel came back with never ending hooks to the body and combinations to the head all which took its toll on the challenger. The challenger was hit with a vicious left to the body and he could not recover. It was a great fight to watch.

PS

have not watched the kessler Calzaghe fight yet but my bro tells me it was a fight which pitted two masters against one on another.

I said it before and I will say it again, Calzaghe is a freak of nature. What a phenomenal athlete to be fighting at that level at his age.
    Right on M_D the 'Cochulito' fight was indeed very entertaining lot's of back and forth action.
    BUt I think Montiel showed 1 of 2 things either 1) His defense is not what it used to be or 2) He just threw his defensive skills out the window in this fight.
    I hope it's #2 cause he can't afford to be getting hit like that.
    Wonder if we'll ever see Fernando Montiel vs. Martin Castillo I've always wanted to see that.

In regards to Kess vs. Joe your brother couldn't be more right. Just wait and see.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Montiel beats Castillo

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    I think Montiel beats Castillo
    I agree, I think Montiels a slight better overall fighter then Castillo.
    But then you can never count out Castillo as hes shown on several ocassions that he can pull fights out of hat.
    They both come from boxing families and have the boxing pedigree.
    I would have thought that by now they would both be regarded as higher quality fighters but I guess since Castillos little incident in Japan and Montiel moving up weight not a lot of people will would be interested.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll take Castillo over Montiel. I see him as being technically more sound and a good counter puncher as seen in the wars with Munoz. That was an awesome fight Mad Dog! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it was awesome, when Melendez got knocked down at the end of the sixth I was sure the fight was over. Montiel even walked him to his corner remember. Then 20 to 30 seconds into the seventh KAAABOOOM Melendez dropped Montiel and it the tide changed just like that!
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love to see Montiel vs Arce, but they are good friends, I just think that would be a all out war tho. My favorite part of the Melendez fight was after Montiel knocked him down at the end of the round, Melendez got up a bit wobbly and Montiel walked him to his corner...lol I thought that was funny.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A definate highlite reel Fight Mad-Dog.Beware ALWAYS the lean and tall Power puchers.Montiel really seemed to willingly disregard his defence and fought real cocky.Almost cost him everything.
    He repeated this thing-Hold up rt.hand,Dip to the left (telegraph) and threw his l.hook so hard I was waiting for shoulder to dislocate.
    Also loved the "Ali-shuffle" and Bolo in 6th before he floored Melendez.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins
    A definate highlite reel Fight Mad-Dog.Beware ALWAYS the lean and tall Power puchers.Montiel really seemed to willingly disregard his defence and fought real cocky.Almost cost him everything.
    He repeated this thing-Hold up rt.hand,Dip to the left (telegraph) and threw his l.hook so hard I was waiting for shoulder to dislocate.
    Also loved the "Ali-shuffle" and Bolo in 6th before he floored Melendez.
    Yeah, that was a neat trick. But he paid for it the very next round.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog
    great read.. agreed.. a real treat this match

Thread Information