Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kesslers Letter

CARDIFF--I felt like I was walking into the lion’s den—no make that the Welsh Dragon’s den Sunday morning at Millennium Stadium. I heard 50,000 voices, about 90 percent very unfriendly and a small sprinkling of guys waving my red and white Danish flag.

I could not hear a word the people were saying but I know it wasn’t, “Hey, Mr. Kessler, good to see ya, good luck.” After Joe Calzaghe, a masterful champion beat me over 12 hard rounds, some in Team Kessler told me the Calzaghe partisans were screaming obscenities and singing the football song, “Who Are You
    The whole world knew who Mr. Calzaghe was BEFORE this bout which was seen in 70 countries. Now I think, and I hope, the whole world, or at least that part of it which cares for our great sport of boxing, knows who Mikkel Kessler is.

I offer no excuses except to say I was not in 100 percent top form. It didn’t help that my guy, Mogens Palle, fell seriously ill and remains in hospital here. I am praying that Mogens soon rebound and returns to Denmark. He will be celebrating his 50th anniversary as a fight promoter Wednesday and I hope to visit with him on that special day. Because of his condition he could not be with us at ringside.

Like I say no sour grapes, no whining, and no excuses. Joe beat me fair and square on his home grounds. This cat has more tricks than any magician. I knew he would be difficult to hit but I think I clearly hit him harder and more often than any other opponent he’s ever had! I tip my hat to Joe, to his father/trainer Enzo and to their promoter, Frank Warren.

Warren told me in the ring when it was over, “You will be the top champ, you will be The Man, once Joe retires.” Good, sportsmanlike comments and I got more of those plus genuine applause from the punters when I walked out of the arena after doing interviews with Danish TV, with British Setanta and with HBO.

I also appreciated the fact that HBO’s Kery Davis came over to me after the press conference and told me I still figure in their plans and there are “many” good fights which they will consider for me. Kery is a real gentleman.

I didn’t want to spoil Joe’s moment, his big night, but I wanted to ask and I ask now of Warren and Enzo and Joe, why not a rematch? But Joe made it clear as we sat on the podium, saying, “I don’t think so because you will only do better and I may not do as well. I don’t like rematches.”

Maybe, when the magnitude of the event sinks in, Team Calzaghe will reconsider. This show was a huge commercial and artistic success and a rematch would be even more lucrative for all the involved parties.

An American reporter asked me and our American agent, Michael Marley, who I might fight next. Marley said, “A guy who was willing to come into Joe’s kitchen and fight him right there, as Mikkel did tonight, will go anywhere and fight anybody.”

My two world title belts are suddenly gone. I miss them already. I am young, only 28, and I believe my best fights and better nights are ahead of me.

I will look at any opponent out there—IBF champ Lucien Bute, the winner of Taylor-Pavlik II, Anthony Mundine for a rematch…my options are many. I know I didn’t hurt myself, especially in the UK and America, with my performance.

I thank HBO, Setanta, Viasat in Denmark, my promoter/manager Bettina Palle, my training team and everyone else who gave me their support.

I didn’t win this fight but I believe I won over millions of fans.

I hope my effort and Joe’s give more fuel to boxing’s brilliant resurgence.

He has proven, for the moment that he is Number One at 168 pounds. If he abandons the weight, I lay claim to that position. I am not guy who is content to be Number Two in anything.

I will be back. And I will return stronger, sharper and tougher than ever. I know I am just going into my primetime years in boxing.

Again, big respect for Joe. But the best of Mikkel Kessler is yet to come!

MIKKEL KESSLER

Super Middleweight also acknowledge as Kessler's Kingdom when Calzaghe has retire

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kesslers Letter

Reply from Robin Reid

"Dear mr Kessler with all due respect you did not hit Joe Calzaghe harder and more often than anyone he has ever faced, I did, I am the only man to have been awarded a split decision loss, the closest to defeat that Joe has ever come"

"PS, After I show up Carl Froch, you could try your luck against me for your old WBC belt "

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kessler will be back at the top and glad to see he is still hungry for it... he needs to forget Joe.

no shame in his loss IMO

not sure what Reid has left anymore... intresting weekend this one

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Reid and do have concerns about him fighting this friday but on his day he would have too much for an untested prospect in his 30s but its because of Carls lack of decent opponents that I feel Reid has an excelent chance of shutting Froch up, I wouldnt even consider it an upset when he does

Reid longs for a Calzaghe rematch, it is possible that beating Froch may give him that but Joe is now interested in becoming as big a star as he can, he has proved he can beat the best around 10 years ago and today and that is awesome but to fight Reid would be just a good domestic match, other than that Reid could land himself with a fight against Kessler for the vacant title

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross
    I like Reid and do have concerns about him fighting this friday but on his day he would have too much for an untested prospect in his 30s but its because of Carls lack of decent opponents that I feel Reid has an excelent chance of shutting Froch up, I wouldnt even consider it an upset when he does
    yeah i picked Reid against Lacy and was supprised with the KO and the way he fought scared... he deffo beat ottke and got screwed by the german ref and judges but that was 4 years ago.... hopfully a possible rematch with Joe might just be the motivation needed to put up a good showing this weekend.

Froch is a good fighter though but Reid is the best guy he'll have faced to date so like i said intresting weekend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Respect to both Kessler and you jangeorg CC

Good to see your still here and standing by your fighter, without any smack talk i might add, most chumps who put themselves so far in one camp fuck off as soon as their fighter looses. I might not agree with a lot you have to say, but i respect yhat your still here to say it
    Knowledge is Power

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikkel Kessler taking a tip from Kostya Tszyu and being an absolute gentlemen in defeat. He knows he faught well but lost to the better man. Really classy, and I'm sure he'll come again. Lets see him smash Lacy up just for the heck of it.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I already said this, but not sure if it is stuck on the old board, but Kessler seems to have gained more fans in his loss than he might have had he lost to Joe. If he keeps his head up, he'll be a fan favorite and superstar in this sport, IMO anyways.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dear Mikkel,

Warra guy I'm a big Joe C fan and now a Mikkel K fan too, you are a credit to your country, yourself and the sport, you fought a great fight in cardiff and did nothing wrong in the early hours of sunday morning...and you was so fair and gracious in defeat,

Take heart in the fact that the greatest fighters have lost and come back to show there greatness ... why not you, you have all the attributes to do that in this era, and apart from Robin Reid you gave Joe the best fight of his life and for me the Joe you fought was a better Joe than the one Rob fought, you should tune in and watch Rob beat up Carl Froch at last for some lite entertainment,

But back to yourself, I knew a little about you before the cardiff fight as did my mates, and we knew it would be a hard fight, just did not know it would be that hard lol...but by the final bell you had won us all over as new found fans and we look forward to watching you as fans the next time you box, so take heart and take a deserved rest, then come back and do the job you do so very well, the best learn from defeat, which is what I hope and feel you will do, you are very much a class act Mikkel

And I'm sure I speak on behalf of all true fans of the sport in wishing you good luck and health in the future, as well as wishing for a speedy recovery to your man Mogens Palle, we wish him well and good health too..

Thank you very much for making one hell of a fight with Joe...you both gained so much from that fight and as said are a credit to your sport.
    Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bambamdaddio
    Dear Mikkel,

Warra guy I'm a big Joe C fan and now a Mikkel K fan too, you are a credit to your country, yourself and the sport, you fought a great fight in cardiff and did nothing wrong in the early hours of sunday morning...and you was so fair and gracious in defeat,

Take heart in the fact that the greatest fighters have lost and come back to show there greatness ... why not you, you have all the attributes to do that in this era, and apart from Robin Reid you gave Joe the best fight of his life and for me the Joe you fought was a better Joe than the one Rob fought, you should tune in and watch Rob beat up Carl Froch at last for some lite entertainment,

But back to yourself, I knew a little about you before the cardiff fight as did my mates, and we knew it would be a hard fight, just did not know it would be that hard lol...but by the final bell you had one us all over as new found fans and we look forward to watching you as fans the next time you box, so take heart and take a deserved rest, then come back and do the job you do so very well, the best learn from defeat, which is what I hope and feel you will do, you are very much a class act Mikkel

And I'm sure I speak on behalf of all true fans of the sport in wishing you good luck and health in the future, as well as wishing for a speedy recovery to your man Mogens Palle, we wish him well and good health too..

Thank you very much for making one hell of a fight with Joe...you both gained so much from that fight and as said are a credit to your sport.

CC
    A very nice letter
    Super Middleweight also acknowledge as Kessler's Kingdom when Calzaghe has retire

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reid longs for a Calzaghe rematch it is possible that beating Froch may give him that but Joe is now interested in becoming as big a star as he can, he has proved he can beat the best around 10 years ago and today and that is awesome but to fight Reid would be just a good domestic match, other than that Reid could land himself with a fight against Kessler for the vacant title
    You think he should of took the rematch when they offered it to him?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure they did offer Reid the rematch, if they did it must have been for pawltry money, there is a genuine dislike between the 2 that goes back to their amature days, dont think they fought but Reid got picked over Joe to go to the 92 olympics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jangeorg
    Dear Mikkel,

But back to yourself, I knew a little about you before the cardiff fight as did my mates, and we knew it would be a hard fight, just did not know it would be that hard lol...but by the final bell you had won us all over as new found fans and we look forward to watching you as fans the next time you box, so take heart and take a deserved rest, then come back and do the job you do so very well, the best learn from defeat, which is what I hope and feel you will do, you are very much a class act Mikkel

CC
    A very nice letter
    Cheers bud and respect to ya.
    Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dear Mikkel,

Warra guy I'm a big Joe C fan and now a Mikkel K fan too, you are a credit to your country, yourself and the sport,
    I just got to cc that. How can I not?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure they did offer Reid the rematch, if they did it must have been for pawltry money, there is a genuine dislike between the 2 that goes back to their amature days, dont think they fought but Reid got picked over Joe to go to the 92 olympics
    They offered the rematch to him

he turned it down because the money wasn't as much as he thought he was worth.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information