2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto/Mosley - A good fight that should have been great

Anybody else feel this way?

After the first four rounds I thought 'here we go!!'

Then, when Shane felt he couldn't hang with Cotto he took his foot off the gas and started dancing. Then, before the ninth, papa Jack said pick it up and that was precisely when Cotto started backpedallig and doing jack shit.

The end of the fight reminded me of Trinidad DLH, and I thought maybe the judges would see that to and maybe Mosley could squeak it.

Anyway, that's how I feel - It was a good fight that had the potential to be Leanard/Hearns if only both guys had stayed up for the combat...
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto/Mosley - A good fight that should have been great

I somewhat agree. There were definite moments of brilliance, but as you said, Shane just danced way too much. I was literally talking to the TV, saying "wtf are you doing Shane? Step it up!" He just didn't seem like he wanted to fight.
    "The refusal to respect one's enemies is a weakness, a stinginess of heart." Frederick the Great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess I'm of a little different opinion, I thought it was a great fight throughout. A pretty tense and action packed fight for the first 11.

SigmaMu Guest

Both fighters wanted to fight but neither one was winning in their game both frustrated, both fighters fighting with too much respect for one another. Cotto who has a COTTON chin I can understand being cautious but Shane letting up? He must have got old and or he felt Cotto's power. It was a good fight but it could have been greater. Cotto is now starting to fight smart and boxing when he needs to. Cotto can run like Floyd for 12 rounds too. I knew this. I hope we see the old Cotto again. Cotto would do a number on Floyd. Shane wore Cotto down with all of the wrestling that Shane does and also the body punches from Shane did their thing. Bring on the man who runs for a living. You know, they guy in my sigi. BTW. I knew Shane was going to do a lot of holding and it still cost him.
    Cotto is better than people think or thought. Cotto will unify by the end of 2008 just like I said he would.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    Both fighters wanted to fight but neither one was winning in their game both frustrated, both fighters fighting with too much respect for one another. Cotto who has a COTTON chin I can understand being cautious but Shane letting up? He must have got old and or he felt Cotto's power. It was a good fight but it could have been greater. Cotto is now starting to fight smart and boxing when he needs to. Cotto can run like Floyd for 12 rounds too. I knew this. I hope we see the old Cotto again. Cotto would do a number on Floyd. Shane wore Cotto down with all of the wrestling that Shane does and also the body punches from Shane did their thing. Bring on the man who runs for a living. You know, they guy in my sigi. BTW. I knew Shane was going to do a lot of holding and it still cost him.
    Cotto is better than people think or thought. Cotto will unify by the end of 2008 just like I said he would.
    I would love nothing better than to see PBF get beaten, fair and square. But after tonight, I think PBF would win on his defense alone.

Bastard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane really only danced 2-3 rounds max. And he was fairly effective those rounds, but his defence isnt great so he still got caught. Neither guy was afraid to go toe to toe. I think it was as good a fight as it possibly could have been. Both guy have good chins so it wasnt likely to see either guy out on his feet.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig

Then, when Shane felt he couldn't hang with Cotto he took his foot off the gas and started dancing. Then, before the ninth, papa Jack said pick it up and that was precisely when Cotto started backpedallig and doing jack shit.

The end of the fight reminded me of Trinidad DLH, and I thought maybe the judges would see that to and maybe Mosley could squeak it.

Anyway, that's how I feel - It was a good fight that had the potential to be Leanard/Hearns if only both guys had stayed up for the combat...
    You know what I've noticed?
    That you do this often. Everytime after a big fight you usually come on here and say how it wasn't that good and it was overhyped.
    That the fight didn't live up to it's potential and blah! blah! blah!.......
    Maybe it's just you? I will agree that the fight had all the tools to be a great one. Maybe it was to some people maybe it wasn't.
    But you know what when your a die hard fan of the sport likemyself those 11 rounds minus the 12th were amazing. To see Cotto outlanding SSM in a jab contest was mouth dropping. To see SSM outlanding Cotto to the body was confusing yet exciting. It's like they swithched rolls for this fight and to me that's what made it a damn! good fight. One of the best of this year.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was a great fight. Back and forth action, both guys showing different sides and qualities of themselves that most didnt know they had. It was a hardfought battle, the winner truely earned the decision, what more can you ask for?
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick

Then, when Shane felt he couldn't hang with Cotto he took his foot off the gas and started dancing. Then, before the ninth, papa Jack said pick it up and that was precisely when Cotto started backpedallig and doing jack S***.

You know what I've noticed?
    That you do this often. Everytime after a big fight you usually come on here and say how it wasn't that good and it was overhyped.
    That the fight didn't live up to it's potential and blah! blah! blah!.......
    Maybe it's just you? I will agree that the fight had all the tools to be a great one. Maybe it was to some people maybe it wasn't.
    But you know what when your a die hard fan of the sport likemyself those 11 rounds minus the 12th were amazing. To see Cotto outlanding SSM in a jab contest was mouth dropping. To see SSM outlanding Cotto to the body was confusing yet exciting. It's like they swithched rolls for this fight and to me that's what made it a damn! good fight. One of the best of this year.

CC Mick I agree 100%....Was it a fight for the ages that will be looked back upon in the history books and profiled on ESPN classic or Legendary nights?...No but it was a a pretty damn good fight and well above an average bout....You had two of the sports top guuys in there...You could not expect them to throw caution to the wind and go ape S***.....This fight was a bit more then just a win for both...For Shane it was a cap of sorts to a long career that is filled with great fights for Cotto is was solidifying himself as the genuine article and answering all doubts there is about him..or should I say were....It also let everyone know he is no a one dimensional fighter.....A loss by either was crucial.....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was a great fight and kept me on the edge of my seat{couch} till the end. I'll watch it any time I can. Very entertaining, because it could have gone either way at any time of the fight.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then, when Shane felt he couldn't hang with Cotto he took his foot off the gas and started dancing. Then, before the ninth, papa Jack said pick it up and that was precisely when Cotto started backpedallig and doing jack S***.

I also thought of Tito-de la Hoya during the last four rounds, but the difference is that Oscar RAN and Cotto BOXED and landed clean, crisp, shots as opposed to Oscar. I was also surprised that Mosley did not know how to cut off the ring effectively!!

Thread Information