0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Article On Mancinci/Kim,Good Read

ICB Guest

Default Re: Article On Mancinci/Kim,Good Read

Tragic didn't they make a flim about Kim aswell ?? i also remember Kim's mother and the ref both committed suicide a few months after the fight Mancini never truly recoved either sad fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i didn't know the suicicde part , unfortunately it happens but great people like mancini and a couple of others boxers can bounce back

espn classic is showing ray mancini story tonight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very sad indeed. I never knew Kim's mother and the ref committed suicide; a massive tragedy all around. Unfortunately, live by the sword, die by the sword. Wish Kim could have made it through; wonder what more of an impact he could have made in the game? R.I.P.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION
    Very sad indeed. I never knew Kim's mother and the ref committed suicide; a massive tragedy all around. Unfortunately, live by the sword, die by the sword. Wish Kim could have made it through; wonder what more of an impact he could have made in the game? R.I.P.
    Kim was a decent fighter he was giving Mancini a tough fight until about the 10th round i think it was then Mancini really took over and the ref blamed himself i think thats why he committed suicide and the mother just couldn't get over the loss of her son i also heard they made a movie but i haven't seen it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc.

I just read the article before coming here and thought of starting a post on it myself. I saw that fight.

Question:

Borges's article states that Mancini did not fight as tough after that fight, saying that it affected Mancini psychologically. To be precise, the article states:
    "Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini was never Boom Boom again. . . . Never the same package of aggressiveness he'd been. . . . within two years he would lose his championship to unheralded Livingston Bramble and never again fight with the same unfettered aggressiveness he showed in the Kim fight. Mancini would always deny that the Kim tragedy and his own retirement were related and in fact made two unsuccessful comebacks from his 1985 retirement to try to prove that point. But Arum saw the candle flicker and die out in Mancini up close that afternoon in Las Vegas."

The question is: Did the psychological effects of the fight on Mancini--and I'm sure there were psychological effects--play a substantial role in Mancini losing his title to Bramble? I suppose we do not know for sure but perhaps the question is interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Kim was a decent fighter he was giving Mancini a tough fight until about the 10th round i think it was then Mancini really took over and the ref blamed himself i think thats why he committed suicide and the mother just couldn't get over the loss of her son i also heard they made a movie but i haven't seen it.
    CC to Ice and Trainer Monkey, thanks for the article and interesting side info. Not to get too crazy and off topic, but guys like Kim give their life for this sport they're so passionate about, and guys like Cintron quit with not even half the abuse given. Sorry if I offended, not my intention. Stories like these though make you really respect the guys who put their last breath into this game.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats the biggest shame of that fight,the ref comitting suicide.
    If he had stopped the fight the punters would have screamed bloody murder.
    Kim was still defending,and fighting back right until the end,the last round Mancini just flys out and sparks him right off the bell.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    CC to Ice and Trainer Monkey, thanks for the article and interesting side info. Not to get too crazy and off topic, but guys like Kim give their life for this sport they're so passionate about, and guys like Cintron quit with not even half the abuse given. Sorry if I offended, not my intention. Stories like these though make you really respect the guys who put their last breath into this game.
    back bro that was the same ref in the Ali vs Holmes fight i believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Thats the biggest shame of that fight,the ref comitting suicide.
    If he had stopped the fight the punters would have screamed bloody murder.
    Kim was still defending,and fighting back right until the end,the last round Mancini just flys out and sparks him right off the bell.
    A no winner for the ref; and it obviously ruined him personally to be the one that called that fight that fateful night. Damn shame. Mancini probably has had some restless nights in his life since then.

Ice, is there a statistic you don't know?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sweet science
    cc.

I just read the article before coming here and thought of starting a post on it myself. I saw that fight.

Question:

Borges's article states that Mancini did not fight as tough after that fight, saying that it affected Mancini psychologically. To be precise, the article states:
    "Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini was never Boom Boom again. . . . Never the same package of aggressiveness he'd been. . . . within two years he would lose his championship to unheralded Livingston Bramble and never again fight with the same unfettered aggressiveness he showed in the Kim fight. Mancini would always deny that the Kim tragedy and his own retirement were related and in fact made two unsuccessful comebacks from his 1985 retirement to try to prove that point. But Arum saw the candle flicker and die out in Mancini up close that afternoon in Las Vegas."

The question is: Did the psychological effects of the fight on Mancini--and I'm sure there were psychological effects--play a substantial role in Mancini losing his title to Bramble? I suppose we do not know for sure but perhaps the question is interesting.
    He really was never the same fighter,fighting Mancini before that fight was like walking in to a cuisinart,he was one of my fave fighters at the time,because Ive allways fought a plodding cerebral style,and I love guys who just come,and come hard
    I respect what I cant do
    Mancini,tried to fight like that after the fight,and just couldnt do it,and you could see he was pulling shots on occaision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Ice, they're playing the Mancini story right now on ESPN Classic. After this they're playing that movie you were alluding to; it's call Campion and was made in 2002. Looking forward to watching it in a little while.
    Hidden Content

ICB Guest

Hey Ice, they're playing the Mancini story right now on ESPN Classic. After this they're playing that movie you were alluding to; it's call Campion and was made in 2002. Looking forward to watching it in a little while.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't mean to say Campion, lol, it's Champion, duh
    Hidden Content

Thread Information