Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: charlie white lightning brown

Charlie White lightning Brown came to "us" just after the 1980 Olympic Boycott. Don Turner and my dad, Stanley Komissar "found" him at the Ohio State Fair and brought him to Lenny Shaw and they signed him. He was a tough kid from East Moline Ill. just over the border of Davenport Iowa. Good little boxer with quick hands and a big heart. The Big City took a hold of him and we "lost" him to drugs and alcohol. He was a hard fighter to train and my job as his baby sitter was as tough as don turner's job of training him. Lenny Shaw spared no expence and Bob Arum put a lot of money into the kid. He was his own worst enemy. The fighter was Frank "rootin tootin" Newton and he pinched the crap out of my "adopted" brother but Charlie got the decision and boo's cascaded from the stands on the Hagler/ Duran undercard. charlie did get his title shot on NBC against Harry Arroyo and got stopped in the 7th or 8th round. He left Lenny and Turner but stayed close with my dad and our family. He was like a son to my parents and a brother to us. He made a few failed comebacks after that but was never the same. Last my mom told me he was a grandpa living back home in Moline and working on the the River boats.

1. What has happened to Charlie Brown?
    2. What was the other boxer's name? I remember he was black

Help me please.[/quote]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So was Harry. A tough guy, but a very nice man. And a good friend. I once wrote a piece called "Harry and the Two Charlie's." He iced them both.

But Haugen really took out White Lightening. It was a blow out.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haugen got him with the first significant punch he through. Greg went on to become a champion that made a nice few paychecks with Vinny Paz. Charlie was always tough to andle but became worse after Arroyo. He left the New York Group and went west to the Goosens on account od they had Michael Nunn and Charlie knew him from back home. He got stopped by Harold Brazier in Californa and came back to us but the relationship between the fighter, fighter's family, manager's and trainers were never the same. It was heart breaking watching what became of Charlie after that. I'll always love the guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stanley Steamer, your comments about Charlie are very refreshing and put a smile on my face. I used to be a very close freind of Charlie's. I went to Tennesee for his first fight and met Don Turner and Lenny Shaw.
    He may have mentioned a me to you as a freind he had that was in the Marine Corps when he was with you. If you were to e-mail me at mnm4him@aol.com I can go to his mothers (Janet) where he lives and let him know the good thoughts you had for him. If you would rather I didn't, please let me know, I know Charlie has good memories of when he was in New Jersey and he needs things like that to keep him smiling,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SEANIE View Post
    If this was the fighter, was Snoopy his cornerman and Lucy the round card girl?
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferTheGreat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SEANIE View Post
    If this was the fighter, was Snoopy his cornerman and Lucy the round card girl?

Good God!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Was it Frank "Rootin Tootin" Newton?
    That's it, I think it was televised by ESPN.
    http://www.freewebs.com/neutral-corner/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Steemer View Post
    Charlie White lightning Brown came to "us" just after the 1980 Olympic Boycott. Don Turner and my dad, Stanley Komissar "found" him at the Ohio State Fair and brought him to Lenny Shaw and they signed him. He was a tough kid from East Moline Ill. just over the border of Davenport Iowa. Good little boxer with quick hands and a big heart. The Big City took a hold of him and we "lost" him to drugs and alcohol. He was a hard fighter to train and my job as his baby sitter was as tough as don turner's job of training him. Lenny Shaw spared no expence and Bob Arum put a lot of money into the kid. He was his own worst enemy. The fighter was Frank "rootin tootin" Newton and he pinched the crap out of my "adopted" brother but Charlie got the decision and boo's cascaded from the stands on the Hagler/ Duran undercard. charlie did get his title shot on NBC against Harry Arroyo and got stopped in the 7th or 8th round. He left Lenny and Turner but stayed close with my dad and our family. He was like a son to my parents and a brother to us. He made a few failed comebacks after that but was never the same. Last my mom told me he was a grandpa living back home in Moline and working on the the River boats.

1. What has happened to Charlie Brown?
    2. What was the other boxer's name? I remember he was black

Help me please.
    [/quote]

I'm originally from Illinois so I naturally liked him. Problem is when these downstate kids come to the Big City, they go hog wild. Damn shame, but thanks for th great post and info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Please, by all means give Charlie and Janet my e-mail. charlies last saw my mom a few years back. We all miss him terribly and hope he is doing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Speaking of Arroyo, he beat another Charlie Brown--Charlie "Choo Choo" Brown which makes him th only boxer to ever fight and beat two high profile opponents named "Charlie Brown." BTW, "Choo Choo" was one tough SOB.
    so true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i am charlies nephew he doesnt live in molin he lives in east moline at his moms house he doesnt work after his boxing carrer ended he went down hill charlie has nno license and rides his bike but speaking on his behalf he is still a very quick fighter i myself have spared with him jus playing around and he is very quick no doubt about it he isnt in good shape but he can still throw his hands he hasnt lost his sight either he can dodge and swing but he has lost it ever since he quit he is a grandpa yo 2 grandchildren that he adores but these days he is heavy into drinking but he is a good guy when he needs to be he hasnt let go of his past though he still has a heavy bag and speed bag at home and he always tells me and his son he would love for us to take over his dreams

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love reading these kinda posts that get updated over the years... people finding it via google searchs.

Cheers for the update Jake, cool post

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo View Post
    I love reading these kinda posts that get updated over the years... people finding it via google searchs.

Cheers for the update Jake, cool post
    Same here

Interesting stuff
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andrew the fighter you are talking about is Frank "rootin tootin" Newton. How do I know? I use to be his sparing partner and I was there for the fight. It was on the under card of Hagler vs Duran in Las Vegas. And no Brown's hand speed was not better than Frank's. In fact most of the crowd and the announcers agreed that Newton won the fight. Unfortunately for Frank his EGO got in the way of his ability. He fought Terrence Ali in Atlantic City who had a reputation for running across the ring in the first round and trying to knock you out. I told Frank this and he could have cared less. He bitched because he didn't have his own private dressing room, and so on. Ali ran across the ring knocked Frank down he survived the round but Ali poured it own and they ended up stopping the fight in the 3rd round. FYI Frank now sells car in OKC and weighs about 220 pounds. He's a great guy fun to be a round but would never train, or take his talent seriously. I wished I had his ability when I fought I would either knock you out or you would knock me out. Frank was smooth and had incredibly fast hands and LOTS of power for a lightweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jake p View Post
    i am charlies nephew he doesnt live in molin he lives in east moline at his moms house he doesnt work after his boxing carrer ended he went down hill charlie has nno license and rides his bike but speaking on his behalf he is still a very quick fighter i myself have spared with him jus playing around and he is very quick no doubt about it he isnt in good shape but he can still throw his hands he hasnt lost his sight either he can dodge and swing but he has lost it ever since he quit he is a grandpa yo 2 grandchildren that he adores but these days he is heavy into drinking but he is a good guy when he needs to be he hasnt let go of his past though he still has a heavy bag and speed bag at home and he always tells me and his son he would love for us to take over his dreams
    How funny! I use to be Frank Newton's sparing partner. It sounds like they called each other and decided to do the same thing after hanging it up. Frank drinks not as bad as he use to, he sells cars in OKC and weighs about 220lbs. Let Charlie know that Frank has a HUGE ego and is still upset about that fight. I remind him that Terrecne Ali kicked his ass and he fell for his sprint across the ring and Ali almost knocked him out in the first round. FYI I still have a heavy bag and a speed bag in my garage, and yes I do use them.

Thread Information