Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default short fighters

I'm only 5'4 and 11 stones (155lbs with 9% BF) but i find it hard to fight taller people due to their reach! I'm a fast and hard puncher but whats the best thing to do when boxing these people! I mean i try and go in and out quick but i feel i'm getting hit before i can work on the body then head! What should i do and work on?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: short fighters

Hi mate

You know the problem is not from the outside looking in, it comes from within the outside looking out.

You need to take your steps in and punch, instead of over reaching trying to hit them.

Working on stepping in and out quickly, like you are, is going to help. I would work on going in with a jab to the body (so your lower then he is already due to lowering your posture, also your a real midget) and them coming in with a right to the head, with plenty of head movement etc.

What happens to you, what do you try and do??

Its something to fail, its something else to not try to not fail.
    5 foot 4 inches and 154 lbs of PURE MAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you're fighting taller guys the are probably going to be throwing more jabs and straight punches rather than hooks, so look for something that gives away their jab, or guess when it's coming and then as you dodge it, don't only dodge it but step in and get close then nail them with a hook. Watch some old Tyson videos to see what I'm talking about, he does it all the time where he just ducks under a punch, then comes up and just about knocks a guys head off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cheers for the simple advice lads! Will bare them in mind!

El Kabong Guest

Use your size, it sounds stupid to tell a short fighter but that's boxing if you're tall fight tall, if you're short fight short...you can throw better punches with better power in close than a taller lankier fighter. Slip those jabs get to the inside quick pop off 3 or 4 punches at a time and get out the side to avoid counters. Also try working the body first to bring the arms of the other fighter down then if you're a power puncher go for the headshot or just mix it up so his defense is bad.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Use your size, it sounds stupid to tell a short fighter but that's boxing if you're tall fight tall, if you're short fight short...you can throw better punches with better power in close than a taller lankier fighter. Slip those jabs get to the inside quick pop off 3 or 4 punches at a time and get out the side to avoid counters. Also try working the body first to bring the arms of the other fighter down then if you're a power puncher go for the headshot or just mix it up so his defense is bad.
    @El Kabong damn right I just did that last night outside the White Castle hamburger joint in Jersey City. This guy rushed me from the side he must have been six foot two. I immediately and instinctively Crouch down low and that is pretty low because I am only 5 foot 7 to begin with and this piece of garbage I think he was black American but it was late at night and I could not see because he was wearing a hood actually threw a right lead straight at my face but I was so low it went at least one foot over my head and he did not get his hand back into punching position so he was wide open on his right side and I threw the hardest left hook I could spinning on the ball of my left foot forward foot like I have always heard about over the years and hit him in the ribs and I hit him so hard in the ribs through his thick coat it knocked the wind out of him and he went down

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, but don't forget that Brockton is a monstor for his weight. He was just popping that guy at will BANG POP BANG POP POP BANG and his mother came out and said he was a monstor
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Yes, but don't forget that Brockton is a monstor for his weight. He was just popping that guy at will BANG POP BANG POP POP BANG and his mother came out and said he was a monstor
    Hence his nickname "Vagina Destroyer"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi OGX,
    Take out a notebook and watch/analyze these highlight clips of Mike Tyson and Joe Frazier - two very successful short world heavyweight boxing champions. With that said, here are some suggestions on how to learn from these clips: 1) first watch them with no focused emphasis on anything; just watch them naturally. Don't hunt for anything in particular, just watch. When doing so, pause the video intermittently and write down the tactics you naturally saw that were successful; and 2) on your subsequent viewings of them, pick one thing to focus on each time - i.e. footwork, head movement, defense as a whole, the entry techniques used, the potent counters used, the timing on the counters, etc, etc. What are the successful common denominators between the two men? Anyway, take specific notes each time you watch and when you do so, write the down the specific times on the videos that showcase a successful tactic/element you want to incorporate into your game so you can refer back to them at your convenience. From there, discuss with your coach and/or training partners and implement a methodical, systematic way of integrating what you took notes on to take your skill set to another level.

Since I can only put up one view per post, I'll put the one for Joe Frazier on the next post.

Enjoy the process...

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Again OGX,
    Here's the one for Joe Frazier...

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some good advice from the other posts regarding short fighters. I just wanted to say, that I always was very cautious when I had to fight a short man. In fact, they were dangerous, and you knew he was going to get in close and work on your body, trying to force you to bow and lower that head for an uppercut. That reach of a tall person requires hm to keep moving away, and if his foot work is sloppy, he will get off balance quickly. Use your size as a tactical advantage, not a weakness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OGX View Post
    I'm only 5'4 and 11 stones (155lbs with 9% BF) but i find it hard to fight taller people due to their reach! I'm a fast and hard puncher but whats the best thing to do when boxing these people! I mean i try and go in and out quick but i feel i'm getting hit before i can work on the body then head! What should i do and work on?
    Use the pendulum to approach the enemy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Puncher123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OGX View Post
    Use the pendulum to approach the enemy
    Whats a pendulum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Hence his nickname "Vagina Destroyer"
    Vagina destroyer i know one his name sim that

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

charley goldman said that if you're short make yourself shorter. basically, he is saying stay low and come up to punch. short fighters that stay low force the taller fighter to punch down, thereby turning the taller fighters arms into a slope and creating a clear path to come over the top of their punches.

if the taller fighter tries to wrap you up and lean his weight on you, you can take your glove and push his head up, not punch, literally push his head up, stand him straight up like a stick, turn his torso into a bigger target and rip him underneath.

those are a couple of the things that you can do as the short fighter, and as for the rest, like with all fighters, no matter what kind they are, you will have to learn to box the honest way, not just look for gimmicks and shortcuts, but truly learn to box.
    Last edited by Yuzo; 07-08-2019 at 01:15 AM.

Thread Information