Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMA calls for boxing & UFC ban... (Can a MOD sticky this please)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default BMA calls for boxing & UFC ban... (Can a MOD sticky this please)

Hey guys, I work for the NHS and as part of my job I often keep up to date with the latest medical news. I thought I'd draw everyone's attention to this article to get people's opinions on it. I'm considering contacting the editor of this magazine (he knows who I am anyway) to ask if I can write an article that gives an opposing view to this, and people's views would be welcome. I think it's important that doctors actually hear the other side of the story.

Have a read...

http://juniordr.com/world/index.php/...e-Fighter.html

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: BMA calls for boxing & UFC ban... (Can a MOD sticky this please)

this isn't anything new
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    this isn't anything new
    I know, but it keeps rearing it's ugly head.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it always will
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see why people would want boxing and MMA banned but at the same time people have forgotten what it is to be human, we deserve the right to compete, and although not fail safe, we take every precaution possible to ensure this is exercised in the safest way possible. Right now I'm communicating with the people reading this by pushing my fingers into plastic pieces that are connected to a machine, it's a contradiction but the human race are beasts, we all have that chimpanzee DNA in us that wants to dominate. It feels like progress in a chemical manner, if not a civilized one. They can never take our right to excel in what we do, and fighting is one of the purest forms of that.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look, this comes up all the time but honestly it's always put to sleep. At the end of the day there are more deaths in other "civilized" sports all over the world.

I am a huge American football fan. (Patriots still undefeated at 10-0) Since 1931 American footabll has recorded over 1600 related deaths while Boxing, a worldwide sport has recorded over 500 in 100 years. That's over 3 times more. Football players aren't punching each other in the head but they are causing broken necks, backs and brain damage. This argument will always save the sport of boxing. More people die per year hunting for God's sake...
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn
    Hey guys, I work for the NHS and as part of my job I often keep up to date with the latest medical news. I thought I'd draw everyone's attention to this article to get people's opinions on it. I'm considering contacting the editor of this magazine (he knows who I am anyway) to ask if I can write an article that gives an opposing view to this, and people's views would be welcome. I think it's important that doctors actually hear the other side of the story.

Have a read...

http://juniordr.com/world/index.php/...e-Fighter.html
    Boxing is statitiscly one of the safest sports in the world. more people die jogging, walking, climbing and fishing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON
    Look, this comes up all the time but honestly it's always put to sleep. At the end of the day there are more deaths in other "civilized" sports all over the world.

I am a huge American football fan. (Patriots still undefeated at 10-0) Since 1931 American footabll has recorded over 1600 related deaths while Boxing, a worldwide sport has recorded over 500 in 100 years. That's over 3 times more. Football players aren't punching each other in the head but they are causing broken necks, backs and brain damage. This argument will always save the sport of boxing. More people die per year hunting for God's sake...
    Yeah, they'd be better off trying to end football than boxing or mma. The deaths notwithstanding, look at some of the guys who are basicall crippled after long years of playing in the NFL. One name that immediately comes to mind is Earl Cambell; that man is a mess and I pity him when I see him on t.v. BZKFN, good for you and I hope you can write an article; I'm sure there are many on here to give opinions and statistics, etc. Might as well let your voice be heard.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People will always try to treat other people like children. Whether it's drinking, eating, religion or sports, someone has an idea on how exactly you shouldn't be doing it and they're on the move to make you do as they say. How about the fact there are two men who want to step in a ring and slug it out with each other being reason enough to allow them to do it. The reason why we have more and more people not accepting personal responsibility for their lives is because we have more and more people trying to take it away. I love boxing, but there is no way in hell I'd let someone punch me in the face. Even if I didn't find it entertaining I would support their RIGHT to do it. Just like I would support anyone putting whatever they wanted into their own bodies so long as it didn't hinder someone else, but we live amongst active homogenizers; people who will stop at nothing until we are all exactly alike.

Don't justify boxing. The fact that at least two people want to do it and at least 1 person wants to watch is enough.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I don't get is that they take up issue with boxing because they say the point of the sport is to harm another person, at one point it even says "there is no place in contemporary society for a youth sport which has, as its primary goal, the infliction of acute brain damage on an opponent." So even though american football is more dangerous it is justifiable because the main point of the game is to score more points or get the football onto a specific part of a field?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by global
    What I don't get is that they take up issue with boxing because they say the point of the sport is to harm another person, at one point it even says "there is no place in contemporary society for a youth sport which has, as its primary goal, the infliction of acute brain damage on an opponent." So even though american football is more dangerous it is justifiable because the main point of the game is to score more points or get the football onto a specific part of a field?
    And the point of boxing is to not get hit and score points...  You don't get more points for inflicting branin damage on an individual...  The primary goal is to score ponts and if a KO comes it comes. It's like sacking a quarterback... Sometimes you take them out of the game if the hit is vicious enough... Defensive lineman are not answering for that and well they shouldn't... It's part of the game as is KOs in boxing... 

"there is no place in contemporary society for a youth sport which has, as its primary goal, the infliction of acute brain damage on an opponent."

This is an ingnorant statement.  This is what these people think the point of the sport is?  One of the dumbest statements I have ever read... 

I'm sure this is the same type of person that has been trying to remove dodgeball from schools because it is demeaning...  It is what one broadcaster called "The Pussification of America" 

You want to talk about a sport thats soul perpose is to hurt someone it is UFC.  Cuz bashing your elbow into someone's orbital is healthy!  Submitting someone, putting somone in so much pain that they need to quit...  This "sport" should not even be talked about in the same breath as boxing... 

Thats my take on this bullshit... 

Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks guys

I'm gunna forward all this on to somebody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol everyone gets all intellectual with this subject they call us barbarians so we give them 12 letter words and proper grammar.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 'Big' (Yoits)Dan McCarthy
    lol everyone gets all intellectual with this subject they call us barbarians so we give them 12 letter words and proper grammar.
    Thats utterly preposterous Daniel. It would be considered unusual for any self respecting member of this forum not to reply in such an articulate and professional manner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bz...CC First off.
    Secondly mayb if you do write an article you can include the following...

Boxing as a sport outdates nearly all other forms of competition and athletic endevours. This alone is an indication that the group you speak of, lobbying for boxing to dispand are outnumbered greatly by suporters, competitors and a large number of the general public.

Boxing for hundreds of years has provided a source of hope for people in disadvantaged situations. Where other sports require a team (supported by consistent sources of revenue,) boxing is an individual, low budget sport whwere one can achieve as much as the work to attain.

Should boxing be banned do you really think that would help?
    Hundreds if not thousands of youths and men train every day in the British Isles alone. A ban would merely force their sport of choice underground, where injury statistics would greatly increase due to the lack of supervision and adequate medical advisors.
    Why not work in co-ordination with the main men in the sport now to improve safety standards and make the current game better rather than ban it and create a monster.

Thread Information