Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Mares vs Marchiano: The Aftermath and the NEXT JMM?!?!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mares vs Marchiano: The Aftermath and the NEXT JMM?!?!

Apparently Nacho Beristein and co. Oscar de la Hoya have the feeling that young Abner Mares has the ability to become the next JMM. Afterall, Nacho trains the best. And you can't argue with his past prodige, Ricardo Lopez.

Lets dissect last night's BAD undercard, since it was Abner's first taste of the spotlight.

Abner Mares vs Damian Marchiano

Marchiano was one of the toughest guys on BAD. That's a big compliment. Even if Mares doesn't hit like a Pacquiao, he hit Damian with every clean punch in the book. And Marchiano kept fighting on, and cried in happiness at the end.

Mares' combinations were SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! FAST! CRAZY! Plus he's got the shoulders of a middleweight! haha What the hell....... was that a triple-triple-triple-left hook?!!

With that said, he also...
    looked shakey, which was understandible considering the fact that he's just a boy. He needs to learn to settle down on his jab and dictate a pace he likes, instead of relying on his speedy combinations. He found out that night that not everybody is going to stop their onslaught just from taking in awesome combinations alone.

Golden Boy loves to put their boys in with the wolves. And there has to be a lot of pressure on this kid.

What do you guys think?

Pacquiao started at Bantamweight too, so perhaps he can eventually move up to lightweight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mares vs Marchiano: The Aftermath and the NEXT JMM?!?!

I thought he looked very promising. He was shaky in spots, but he was also cool in spots, too - I expect more of the former and less of the latter in someone his age. He has great handspeed and what looks like a good head on his shoulders. I expect we'll be seeing a lot more out of him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even if Mares doesn't hit like a Pacquiao, he hit Damian with every clean punch in the book. And Marchiano kept fighting on, and cried in happiness at the end. - GYROKAI

How much was he getting paid? Maybe he got more if he didn't get KO'd or something...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Mares is an outstanding prospect. 2008 should be a big year for him

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mares is one of my fav. prospects I've had the chance to meet him and talk to him.

I was happy when I read that 'Nacho' was gonna beging to train him. If you saw this past Sat. fight you saw what 'Nacho' is capable of doing. I could only imagine what the future may hold for the kid should he devote himself 100% to 'Nacho'. If you've seen Mares fight pre-'Nacho' and compare it to post-'Nacho' you'll see theres a HUGE difference. Mares moved well, boxed well and wasn't head hunting as much as he did before. His combinations and movement in the ring was damn! impressive and I can only see big things for him to come. Again one thing is to have a great trainer and be devoted and focused another things is to have a great trainer but not be there 100%. I thought 2007 would give him more exposure but I guess it was not to be. I mean GBP had other prospects whom they IMO showcased more like 'Chente' Escobedo. We'll see what next year brings to him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its funny he does throw alot of the same combos as JMM, and the jabs look similar, as well as working the body a lot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Mares has what it takes to go a long way. He showed a lot of maturity in not getting frustrated when it was apparent that Marchiano wasn't going anywhere. I see 08 being a big year for Mares!!!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc all in thread of course!

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    Even if Mares doesn't hit like a Pacquiao, he hit Damian with every clean punch in the book. And Marchiano kept fighting on, and cried in happiness at the end. - GYROKAI

How much was he getting paid? Maybe he got more if he didn't get KO'd or something...
    I'm guessing at around $10,000. That's my guess anyways. heheh I believe I heard Merchant say something like the total purse was 25,000.

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest
    Its funny he does throw alot of the same combos as JMM, and the jabs look similar, as well as working the body a lot.
    All of Nacho's Prodige's look the same in style. ha Ricardo Lopez and Juan Manuel Marquez are VERY identical. As a matter of fact I said that once I saw him fight on a vcr recording. To my surprise... or should I say NOT surprise... Nacho was in his corner.

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Mares is one of my fav. prospects I've had the chance to meet him and talk to him.

I was happy when I read that 'Nacho' was gonna beging to train him. If you saw this past Sat. fight you saw what 'Nacho' is capable of doing. I could only imagine what the future may hold for the kid should he devote himself 100% to 'Nacho'. If you've seen Mares fight pre-'Nacho' and compare it to post-'Nacho' you'll see theres a HUGE difference. Mares moved well, boxed well and wasn't head hunting as much as he did before. His combinations and movement in the ring was damn! impressive and I can only see big things for him to come. Again one thing is to have a great trainer and be devoted and focused another things is to have a great trainer but not be there 100%. I thought 2007 would give him more exposure but I guess it was not to be. I mean GBP had other prospects whom they IMO showcased more like 'Chente' Escobedo. We'll see what next year brings to him.
    Wow. Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy.
    I think Mares has what it takes to go a long way. He showed a lot of maturity in not getting frustrated when it was apparent that Marchiano wasn't going anywhere. I see 08 being a big year for Mares!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    I think Mares is an outstanding prospect. 2008 should be a big year for him
    2008 Mares' true debut! I hope so, this kid has Exciting written all over him.

Thread Information