Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing Bags

I've decided to get a decent punch bag for my house to save me going to the boxing gym for basic bag workouts. Not sure whether to go for just a basic tube trainer (bag) or one of those "punchmen". Can anyone comment on which is best to go for and why?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Bags

I'd have to say the bag is 100 times better than those punchmen.

Initially the punch man offers no movement, it is a stationary target. This is detrimental in two ways,
    1) it is hard to set your punches and get in the correct position.
    2)Your own movement will become neglected.

I feel the bag is also a better tool as you can pick thge area you want to hit on and you will get a specific reaction from each puch you throw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thats fantastic m8, thanks for taking the time to reply. im workin with a budget of upto about £180 as xmas is coming and i need to keep money very tight. i've read a few reviews and im lead to believe that the reebok kombat trainer is one of the best bags in this price range. does anyone have any other recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed with Donny
    We use an Everlast with a bit of the stuffing removed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I bought a one with a stand and double end bag attachment. never used it once.

It was a pointless purchase really as I was already a member of an MMA gym and I had just joined a boxing gym.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by djtonyn
    thats fantastic m8, thanks for taking the time to reply. im workin with a budget of upto about £180 as xmas is coming and i need to keep money very tight. i've read a few reviews and im lead to believe that the reebok kombat trainer is one of the best bags in this price range. does anyone have any other recommendations?
    CC man, welcome to the forum by the way.
    As regards bags, 180 should easily cover the price of a good bag.
    Londsdale do a number of bags well in that bracket, but i wouldn't advise ordering a bag you can't see/touch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes the Everlast bags (the Skinny ones at least) tend to be hard. I hate hard punching bags. That make sno sense for them to be so hard, I mean thats only going to mess up your hands and adds nothing to the training experience other than that. The soft fill bags are excellent and feel so good on your hand. You can punch as hard as you wish and the feeling of your fist sinking into the bag is one of the greatest feelings in life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    Yes the Everlast bags (the Skinny ones at least) tend to be hard. I hate hard punching bags. That make sno sense for them to be so hard, I mean thats only going to mess up your hands and adds nothing to the training experience other than that. The soft fill bags are excellent and feel so good on your hand. You can punch as hard as you wish and the feeling of your fist sinking into the bag is one of the greatest feelings in life.
    Yeah just pull some stuffing out,and flip it upside down when you arent using it
    The good side of them,is they are really well made so you arent being forced to wrap duct tape around the sweet spots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When my current bag goes, I'm going for the neighbor's daughter. Oops, wrong bag.

When my current bag goes, I think I'll try a water bag. Upperut bags and wrecking balls are nice too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm in the Philippines right now 100 miles away from any boxing gym. One thing that I'm glad is that I brought most of my boxing gear along with an empty canvas punching bag. I was able to find a great filler that's better than rags or sawdust, it's soft enough to allow you to hit as hard as you can, and it doesn't clump up and become hard.

With most of the punching bags that are being sold these days I think that it's best just to buy an empty punching bag, or find a 100 lbs bag on sale and get rid of the stuffing.

I think that the perfect heavy bag is 150-200 lbs, soft filled and hung high enough to allow for movement. That way the bag feels more like an opponent when you hit it, it's better for practicing good leverage yet it's movement is enough to keep you moving on your feet.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm completely in agreement on the hard bag issue. The gym has acquired a bag which really is impossible to hit at full power even with large gloves on as the knuckles tend to give way!!!

Ali had a bag made before the foreman fight....it was 200lb Everlast and wide, it had a hard core but it had two inches of foam at the outside so Ali wouldn damage his hands, yet the foam didn feel too light as the innercore was heavy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My biggest issue with our Everlast is I keep swooping in as a trainer to show things without letting my knuckles heal
    I hurt them months ago,but if I want to make my point,I want to make it now while its still fresh,so I keep re-injuring the damn things
    Ok thats probably not really an issue with the bag

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    I'm completely in agreement on the hard bag issue. The gym has acquired a bag which really is impossible to hit at full power even with large gloves on as the knuckles tend to give way!!!

Ali had a bag made before the foreman fight....it was 200lb Everlast and wide, it had a hard core but it had two inches of foam at the outside so Ali wouldn damage his hands, yet the foam didn feel too light as the innercore was heavy...
    I remember reading that Larry Holmes hurt his hands on the heavy bag, it was probably a combination of too hard and too heavy. I also remember Andre mention Ron Lipton, a fighter know for his knockout power would train on a smaller bag.

I can't argue with that, but I think that different bags give you a different experience. A 200 lbs heavy bag is more like an opponent. When it swings back toward you it smothers your punches, and it doesn't fly across the room when you hit it with a hard punch. I think that the heavier heavy bags, as long as they are soft enough will allow you to put more leverage into your punches. On another note it feels better than if someone was holding the bag.

I have heard a few different philosophies when it comes to working the heavy bag. One is to have the bag swing more as to allow you to work on an assortment of punches and techniques, with a lot of emphasis on footwork. The other side that I've heard is that the heavy bag should not swing much as the fighter should focus more on getting set for their punches. Personally I like my bag to swing. Does anyone have their own thoughts on this?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Firstly an overdue CC Chris.

And i find the same problem.
    Ihat a bag to be too light and be "swingable" when you punch it, i like the bag to offer enough resistance so as to create a wahck but move slightly...and i detest bags that are too hard and greatly prefer leather over any other material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny

I remember reading that Larry Holmes hurt his hands on the heavy bag, it was probably a combination of too hard and too heavy. I also remember Andre mention Ron Lipton, a fighter know for his knockout power would train on a smaller bag.

I can't argue with that, but I think that different bags give you a different experience. A 200 lbs heavy bag is more like an opponent. When it swings back toward you it smothers your punches, and it doesn't fly across the room when you hit it with a hard punch. I think that the heavier heavy bags, as long as they are soft enough will allow you to put more leverage into your punches. On another note it feels better than if someone was holding the bag.

I have heard a few different philosophies when it comes to working the heavy bag. One is to have the bag swing more as to allow you to work on an assortment of punches and techniques, with a lot of emphasis on footwork. The other side that I've heard is that the heavy bag should not swing much as the fighter should focus more on getting set for their punches. Personally I like my bag to swing. Does anyone have their own thoughts on this?
    CC Chris,a heavier bag will move like your opponenet more then a stationary one
    If I used wraps and bag gloves more I wouldnt run in to my issues,I just want to rush in and show what I want done immediatly while its still fresh

Thread Information