Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Shockingly Interesting Commentary Made By The Great Angelo Dundee" (Must Read)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Shockingly Interesting Commentary Made By The Great Angelo Dundee" (Must Read)

Angelo Dundee the legendary trainer of Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Foreman and Basilio, was interviewed the day of the Hatton/PBF fight on a local Los Angeles sports station (Xtra Sports)

in this commentary, Angelo proclaimed that in a head to head match up between the Sugar Ray's, that he thought his fighter Sugar Ray Leonard would win a decision. He said Leonard had the speed, technique and style to beat the great Robinson.

Frankly, I have only seen one complete Robinson fight and the rest are highlights. I do remember Leonard vividly. He was a tough son of a gun.

He also said that Ali was an introvert in his private life, but once the cameras came on, so did he.

He stated that Ali and he worked hard before fights to get into people's heads including Frazer and Liston.

ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shocking commentary by Angelo Dundee

The Ali parts are no secret...The Leonard comments well...At MW I could see Leonard beating Robinson.....At WW I have to say Dundee has a case of Alzhimers setting in and dementia is starting to follow
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Considering Ray Robinson lost his middleweight crown 5 times it's hardly shocking to suggest Ray Leonard or any other great fighter around that weight could have beaten him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hey bilbo help a brotha out here

my original post was titled interesting commentary but no one responded

but when I added shocking I got play

I am the master of all posters. I am the king of all Mexicans AND I rule canada

hope that helps

ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog

....... ...... ......

CC#476 Great marketing ploy....Gotta remember that one in the future
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hope that helps
    Maybe you should do another edit and make the title:
    "Shockingly Interesting Commentary Made By The Great Angelo Dundee" (Must Read)

You can thank me later carnal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Considering Ray Robinson lost his middleweight crown 5 times it's hardly shocking to suggest Ray Leonard or any other great fighter around that weight could have beaten him.
    But those losses were when Robinson was in his 30s, not when he was in his prime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick

hope that helps
    Maybe you should do another edit and make the title:
    "Shockingly Interesting Commentary Made By The Great Angelo Dundee" (Must Read)

You can thank me later carnal.
    awesome, thanks carnal
    Inventor of Who Are You

ICB Guest

Default Re: Shockingly Interesting Commentary Made By The Great Angelo Dundee" (Must Rea

I can't really comment on Robinson at WW because i've only seen highlights. But at Middleweight plenty could have beaten him. Monzon, Hagler, Jones Jr, McClellan, Leonard, Hopkins. I would give Jackson a puncher's chance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shockingly Interesting Commentary Made By The Great Angelo Dundee" (Must Read)

I always wondered what would happen if Sugar Ray Robinson met Ezzard Charles at Middleweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shockingly Interesting Commentary Made By The Great Angelo Dundee" (Must Read)

I think people aren't seeing Robinson's obvious flaws... he had almost not defence, he had great offence, but his defense wasn't there. I have no problem seeing Leonard winning a UD against him because Leonard actually moved out of the way of punches, and used defence on the inside. More often than not he would probably lose, but Robinson was getting hit a lot by the jab of Lamotta when he was only 31 at MW or not that shouldn't happen against a guy so much slower than him, but Leonard, his equal in speed, would give him fits with that stiff jab. I am not sure if Monzon or Hopkins would have beaten RObinson at middleweight, it would have been good, and I also don't think Leonard would have had a better chance at middleweight than at welterweight, I think the higher they go the more advantage to RObinson.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angelo Dundee the legendary trainer of Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Foreman and Basilio, was interviewed the day of the Hatton/PBF fight on a local Los Angeles sports station (Xtra Sports)

in this commentary, Angelo proclaimed that in a head to head match up between the Sugar Ray's, that he thought his fighter Sugar Ray Leonard would win a decision. He said Leonard had the speed, technique and style to beat the great Robinson.

Frankly, I have only seen one complete Robinson fight and the rest are highlights. I do remember Leonard vividly. He was a tough son of a gun.

He also said that Ali was an introvert in his private life, but once the cameras came on, so did he.

He stated that Ali and he worked hard before fights to get into people's heads including Frazer and Liston.

Can anybody tell me , Does Dundee still live up Ali's a.s.s ??
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll check
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    I think people aren't seeing Robinson's obvious flaws... he had almost not defence, he had great offence, but his defense wasn't there. I have no problem seeing Leonard winning a UD against him because Leonard actually moved out of the way of punches, and used defence on the inside. More often than not he would probably lose, but Robinson was getting hit a lot by the jab of Lamotta when he was only 31 at MW or not that shouldn't happen against a guy so much slower than him, but Leonard, his equal in speed, would give him fits with that stiff jab. I am not sure if Monzon or Hopkins would have beaten RObinson at middleweight, it would have been good, and I also don't think Leonard would have had a better chance at middleweight than at welterweight, I think the higher they go the more advantage to RObinson.
    I don't mean to pick this apart man, but Robinson's defence was seen as revolutionary at the time, he inspired Ali to use his reflexes to keep out of the way of punches and the reason he got caught a lot by La Motta was because jake was a fast guy on the front foot and could cut of the ring well.

As for Hopkins, i'm not sure. But if you propose that SRL could beat him at MW then Carlos Monzon could. Monzon was as hard hitting a middleweight as there ever was (excluding the monstor Jackson) he had good speed nice combinations and a bloody mindset.

And I think you mean The higher the weight the greater the advantage to Leonard?

Again don't mean to pick your post apart, just observations...

Thread Information