Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why Cotto-Dela Hoya is good for Cotto-Mayweather

If Cotto does end up fighting Dela Hoya not to mention a quality opponent in March, he will be put in the top 5 p4p for sure if he wins. I think Dela Hoya is a faster and has more of a one punch knock out type punch, but their hitting power is equal if not COtto hitting harder. He has as good if not better timing, and comparable boxing skills. I see Cotto having an easier time young Dela Hoya who wasn't as strong or defensively skilled, but I can also see Cotto making Dela Hoya feel it to the body and maybe stop him, and that would place Cotto in the top 3 IMO, and that would make a fight with Mayweather huge for so many reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why Cotto-Dela Hoya is good for Cotto-Mayweather

The big thing is... if Cotto can KO Oscar, or at least really really beat him up, people will look at it and say, "look, Cotto beat up Oscar worse than Floyd did." Now, whether or not that's true isn't the point, the perception is what matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even if he wins in close decision a lot of people, non-boxing fans, thought it was a close fight between Mayweather and Dela Hoya so then that makes this fight intriguing because then a lot people will think they are about the same caliber. The most important aspect about is that Cotto will be better known around the world. Unfortunately I think the average fan will think Oscar is washed up were he to be beat down by Cotto just because he would have lost is past two fights, and people can understand that against Mayweather, but if another guy does it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But how bad would it be if Cotto lost? Would he then ever get a shot at Mayweather if he did? I personally wouldn't call it a foregone conclusion that Cotto would definately beat Oscar.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO, it would make Cotto a household name/superstar if he KO'ed Oscar, plus it would give him the big payday that he finally deserves.

The fight would generate huge numbers ($$$) and that's probably what Mayweather is waiting for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION
    But how bad would it be if Cotto lost? Would he then ever get a shot at Mayweather if he did? I personally wouldn't call it a foregone conclusion that Cotto would definately beat Oscar.
    I personally don't think he can beat Oscar... I think this fight he has all the disadvantages, except those body shots and perhaps boxing skill, but he seems to always find a way to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This, in a nutshell, is why you will never see this fight. Too risky for Golden Boy & for Top Rank. I don't think there is as much demand for DLH v. PBF II. Personally, I would love to see COTTO v. MARGARITO.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ArawakWarria
    This, in a nutshell, is why you will never see this fight. Too risky for Golden Boy & for Top Rank. I don't think there is as much demand for DLH v. PBF II. Personally, I would love to see COTTO v. MARGARITO.
    Actually I don't agree. This fight is VERY likely to happen in my opinion. In terms of risk assessment I assume you mean he could be jeapordising a big payday if he fights Floyd well I reckon Cotto would make almost as much if not more fighting Oscar.

Oscar is a bigger draw than Floyd Mayweather and the PPV's would be HUGE. Plus Cotto as the world champ would have more bartering power against Oscar than he would with Floyd who is the P4P number 1 on the planet.

Either of these fights is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow type fight for Cotto and I'm sure his team would grab this one with both hands.

As for whether he wins or not I'd be picking Oscar to win. Having said that though I thought Shane Mosely would knock him out as well

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by ArawakWarria
    Actually I don't agree. This fight is VERY likely to happen in my opinion. In terms of risk assessment I assume you mean he could be jeapordising a big payday if he fights Floyd well I reckon Cotto would make almost as much if not more fighting Oscar.

Oscar is a bigger draw than Floyd Mayweather and the PPV's would be HUGE. Plus Cotto as the world champ would have more bartering power against Oscar than he would with Floyd who is the P4P number 1 on the planet.

Either of these fights is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow type fight for Cotto and I'm sure his team would grab this one with both hands.

As for whether he wins or not I'd be picking Oscar to win. Having said that though I thought Shane Mosely would knock him out as well

Cotto's wba belt would count for fuck all in bartering with ODLH.

Every body knows that FM is the true weltereight champion.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo

Good commentary above. Gotta give you a cc for that

In that matchup, I would also pick DLH. But then that leaves them with having to face PBF again. IMO, the DLH fight comes after the Mayweather fight, for two good money reasons. If Cotto beats PBF, then he can really be in a better position to name his terms. If he loses, he can still have a cinco de mayo or pr day fight with DLH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    If Cotto does end up fighting Dela Hoya not to mention a quality opponent in March, he will be put in the top 5 p4p for sure if he wins. I think Dela Hoya is a faster and has more of a one punch knock out type punch, but their hitting power is equal if not COtto hitting harder. He has as good if not better timing, and comparable boxing skills. I see Cotto having an easier time young Dela Hoya who wasn't as strong or defensively skilled, but I can also see Cotto making Dela Hoya feel it to the body and maybe stop him, and that would place Cotto in the top 3 IMO, and that would make a fight with Mayweather huge for so many reasons.
    After I heard Mayweather say he wasn't thinking of Cotto much after the fight with Hatton, it crossed my mind that Cotto would have to face Oscar and defeat him before Mayweather would jump in the ring with Cotto. A victory over de la Hoya would make people demand the fight (Cotto-Floyd) even more and might generate the money Floyd wants before he risks his life against Cotto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Youre right the build up to a fight is so important and money and recognition wise it makes it a big fight

But mre so for prooving reasons from miguel to floyd it forces respect upon floyd for cotto

It says sure my style is my own and yours is your..I hit hard but also now you know i offer a little bit of cuteness .. And you are unhittable and a great counter puncher..

But when it comes down to it i (Cotto lets say) Beat de la hoya..just like you did..(Cotto probably stops hima and as styles allow i bet cotto looks good and entertaining while he does it..

So we both beat this great guy..We both bring the money and the fan fare.. Lets do this

And Floyd probably would
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IF and I stress IF this fight could come off at 147...Cotto out muscles DLH at this point and time IMO....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Thread Information