Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Amir Khan should beg.........

......Roger Mayweather to train him in America.

Since we were on the topic of trainers I was having a think about Amir. He is going to be well protected here in the UK(Warren) and I see a possibility in the future of him stepping up to the plate and coming up short against US opposition.

The way I see it, the Mayweathers have developed possibly the most effective boxing style we have ever seen through Floyd. His hand speed, movement and discipline have enabled this. Khan has two of these in abundance, but I think discipline may let him down in the future, big fish small pond etc...

If he were to move to the states and taken under mayweather's wing, he would become a massive prick, but he could also be as good as Floyd. He has the talent, but I fear that through poor training and discipline, he may never be all that he can be.

This is probably never going to happen. Warren will want a good return before he even takes a real risk with this kid and would never allow him to train outside the UK, GB would probably poach him, but it is working for the likes of John Duddy. The talent spread in the US is more linear than in Europe, giving him a better range of opponents to develope through.

Thoughts guys?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amir Khan should beg.........

If he did ever go to the states it would be to Freddie Roaches camp with whom he already has connections.

Regarding Floyd and Roger I happen to think that it's more Floyd than Roger.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it would be a great idea to send Khan on a few training camps with some foreign coaches just so they can drum some of the reality beyond British shores into him, but on the other hand I think Harrison is getting him up for fights and preparing him fairly well, so in the build up to fights I see no problems letting him come back.

He's been developing well, and fighting often, but it might be an idea to give Khan a few months off to learn about boxing in the states or other territories with coaches over there, and get in some quality sparring that will test him in fairly safe grounds. After all, he's really still a kid with years of growing into the sport ahead of him.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a bad idea..I tend to agree that Floyd and Roger are a special thing because of the family bond. Remember it was Sr who made him really. Roger is just continuing what he started..I also don't rate Roach that highly. He is quick to abandon fighters for the cash (DLH over Manfredo..fair enough but you need to have that trust with a trainer! Plus i've never heard of a trainer running out on his man before)
    I agree Khan would benefit from having some foreign trainers guide him a little..Roger i'm not sold on. Who else does he have in his camp that he can show off? I believe it's just Floyd at the moment who is doing anything of note.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hackey100
    ......Roger Mayweather to train him in America.

Since we were on the topic of trainers I was having a think about Amir. He is going to be well protected here in the UK(Warren) and I see a possibility in the future of him stepping up to the plate and coming up short against US opposition.

The way I see it, the Mayweathers have developed possibly the most effective boxing style we have ever seen through Floyd. His hand speed, movement and discipline have enabled this. Khan has two of these in abundance, but I think discipline may let him down in the future, big fish small pond etc...

If he were to move to the states and taken under mayweather's wing, he would become a massive prick, but he could also be as good as Floyd. He has the talent, but I fear that through poor training and discipline, he may never be all that he can be.

This is probably never going to happen. Warren will want a good return before he even takes a real risk with this kid and would never allow him to train outside the UK, GB would probably poach him, but it is working for the likes of John Duddy. The talent spread in the US is more linear than in Europe, giving him a better range of opponents to develope through.

Thoughts guys?
    I thik its more of a case of Floyd having the talent than Roger being a great trainer.But Roger brings the best out of Floyd.A bit like the Hatton Graham set up.
    Balls

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighters make trainers, not the other way round.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And on that note...

I think, on the face of things, Amir Khan & Oliver Harrison work well together. They have a good working relationship and it would be healthy to maintain that fighter trainer bond. Take Jermain Taylor's 'progress' as a fighter as reference.

I think maybe now Khan is getting bigger, more time will be lost making weight so that could be a problem but thats another issue.

For now Khan would benifit more from just getting some really good sparring in. Some european level light-welters or something....
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch
    And on that note...

I think, on the face of things, Amir Khan & Oliver Harrison work well together. They have a good working relationship and it would be healthy to maintain that fighter trainer bond. Take Jermain Taylor's 'progress' as a fighter as reference.

I think maybe now Khan is getting bigger, more time will be lost making weight so that could be a problem but thats another issue.

For now Khan would benifit more from just getting some really good sparring in. Some european level light-welters or something....
    Absolutely, the one thing he needs to do to progress beyond a British level is to learn how to take some hits, and nothing better for that than actually getting hit in sparring. I'm sure there are plenty of fighters than him a little heavier who would be willing to do some sparring with him. Warren would probably want a contract of secrecy about the sparring, cause he's an arse, but it still needs to happen to bring Khan on I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think amir would understand what the hell roger was saying half the time....
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar
    I don't think amir would understand what the hell roger was saying half the time....
    Thats true.....and Roger would be like 'wtf does init mean?'

I have been saying for a while he needs to go to the US early. He needs a lot of work defensively....especially if his chin aint up to much.

I think he would do well to fight and spar with some tough south american fighters.....guys who aren't going to go over everytime he lands clean.

What happened to John Murray last week is an indication that a lot of the journeymen fighters in the US and South America are streets ahead technically of the UK's fringe contenders.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see why he doesn't spar with Hatton.

I think Hatton sparring with Kahn would of been great for the Maywether fight. That aside if Kahn does stay in i light division he will be facing smaller strong guys similair to Hattons shape.

I don't think Kahn needs America. But he needs to be tested.

I don't like this blowing smoke up his backside training which they do a lot of over here. Like someone said a trip to America might be a reality check.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    I don't see why he doesn't spar with Hatton.

I think Hatton sparring with Kahn would of been great for the Maywether fight. That aside if Kahn does stay in i light division he will be facing smaller strong guys similair to Hattons shape.

I don't think Kahn needs America. But he needs to be tested.

I don't like this blowing smoke up his backside training which they do a lot of over here. Like someone said a trip to America might be a reality check.
    Totally agree with your comment about some training schedules which bigs up a fighter more than he needs to, and although America isn't the only option, a trip to a foreign gym where he'll get some really good sparring with guys he'd hope to be able to beat on a higher level would be a reality check and make him realise he's still got plenty of work to do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's doing just fine as he is.

A bit of variety wouldn't hurt but why try teach him new tricks while he's still learning his basic style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather and Khan have very different styles, Khan would have to start from scratch if he were to fight the same as Mayweather, and it took Floyd a lifetime to perfect that style.

Khan seems to be progressing fine as he is, he should definitely get as big a variety as possible as sparring partners, but when it comes to the trainers the most succesful fighters stick to what works for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has anyone got the same style as Floyd??

Kahn has fast hands and tall with a long reach. He as also used the shoulder block. I think his style is similiar.

You'll probably find Kahn watches a lot of Mayweather seeing as he is one of the best boxers of the time.

Thread Information