Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My List of Champions for 2008 (by weight)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default My List of Champions for 2008 (by weight)

Hwt--Tony Thompson
    After Klitschko v. Ibragimov

Cruiserweight--Herbie Hide
    After Haye v. Enzo

Lt.Hwt--Chad Dawson
    --no one at 175 will defeat him. Unify at 175 and the big money will follow.

SuMwt--Calzaghe
    --nuff said

Mwt--Pavlik
    Until he decides to leave the weight class
    Would love to see him v. Abraham this year

JuMwt--Vernon Forrest

Welt--PBF / Cotto
    PBF will take the time off to let Cotto build the hype machine. This fight is inevitable. Ca you say $60.00US PPV?

JuWelt--Ricky Hatton
    IMO, he should unify the division then retire. As I see it:

Gavin Rees--his easiest opponent. He should go after he or Kotelnik to get the ball rolling.
    Witter--his biggest 'at home' fight, and what a give back for the UK fans!
    Malignaggi--I hate his pitty-pat punches, but he will box the socks off of Ricky. If Cotto didn't stop Paulie, no way Hatton will.
    Ricardo Torres--this would be a barn burner--puncher v. brawler. My personal favorite on the list, though Witter fight would be much bigger.

More to come...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My List of Champions for 2008 (by weight)

Quote Originally Posted by ArawakWarria
    Hwt--Tony Thompson
    After Klitschko v. Ibragimov

Cruiserweight--Herbie Hide
    After Haye v. Enzo

Lt.Hwt--Chad Dawson
    --no one at 175 will defeat him. Unify at 175 and the big money will follow.

SuMwt--Calzaghe
    --nuff said

Mwt--Pavlik
    Until he decides to leave the weight class
    Would love to see him v. Abraham this year

JuMwt--Vernon Forrest

Welt--PBF / Cotto
    PBF will take the time off to let Cotto build the hype machine. This fight is inevitable. Ca you say $60.00US PPV?

JuWelt--Ricky Hatton
    IMO, he should unify the division then retire. As I see it:

Gavin Rees--his easiest opponent. He should go after he or Kotelnik to get the ball rolling.
    Witter--his biggest 'at home' fight, and what a give back for the UK fans!
    Malignaggi--I hate his pitty-pat punches, but he will box the socks off of Ricky. If Cotto didn't stop Paulie, no way Hatton will.
    Ricardo Torres--this would be a barn burner--puncher v. brawler. My personal favorite on the list, though Witter fight would be much bigger.

More to come...

You've got to be having a laugh with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just so you know, Hide is already set up with a WBC International title shot next year. Don't forget that he is a natural heavyweight who was smart enough to come down.

No one at the Crswt division has his experience and ability--right now.

If he still fights at all, I think Chris Byrd should do the same thing-- 200 & under!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just so you know, Hide is already set up with a WBC International title shot next year. Don't forget that he is a natural heavyweight who was smart enough to come down.

No one at the Crswt division has his experience and ability--right now.

If he still fights at all, I think Chris Byrd should do the same thing-- 200 & under!
    I agree once Haye moves up i would pick him to beat Enzo Hide was a small Heavy who could bang nows he's a big cruiser who can really bang ive always liked Herbie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now that he has won the Int'l Title and his next fight is billed as an 'eliminator,' I just wanted to remind the nay-sayers about my prediction for Herbie Hide in 2008. He is not the best boxer, but has all of the right tools to control the Crswt division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lightwt--Baby Bull v. Galaxy Warrior
    I think Nate Campbell has the power and ability to beat Juan Diaz, but I don't see him controlling the whole division. Styles make fights, and Campbells style can--and has--been beaten several times.

JuLtwt--Joan Guzman
    He will clean up the division, if he doesn't go to Ltwt. I am concerned that he won't have any power at all at 135. If he does go up, then I will say Humberto Soto will take over the division. JM Marquez is a favorite, but he is coming into the twilight of his career. WHY IS IT THAT VALERO DOESN'T FIGHT IN THE US? btw--PACQUIAO LOSES TO ALL OF THE ABOVE--GUZMAN, SOTO, MARQUEZ & VALERO.

FWT--Chris John, w/ honorable mention to Orlando Salido

D**n I wish you could teach power!!! what kind of fighter would CJ be with some pop?
    Orlando Salido is probably the strongest Fwt out there right now. He already beat Guerrero, but was stripped b/c of a disputed 'positive' for substances that naturally appear in the human body! I say he KO's Guerrero in a rematch, and he and Linares could make the FW fight of the year!

SuBntwt--Celestino Caballero

C'mon... A six foot 122lber? He is the Paul Williams of the SuBntwts.
    I know everyone is buzzing for Vasquez/Marquez III, but notice how the unification discussion stopped when Caballero destroyed Ponce de Leon? This is alot of speculation, but here it goes...
    Marquez beats Vasquez in III; Vasquez retires; Ponce de Leon LOSES to Marquez, then Marquez loses to Caballero. Sycuan won't risk putting CC in with anyone but the top guy, and they weren't going to fight two of their own (Vasquez & Caballero).

Bntwt--Joseph Agbeko
    Can't say that I have seen a whole bunch of these people in action, but Agbeko is a young, talented athlete who just beat a veteran for the title. I think he might have the right combination of strenght, speed and talent to take the Ring crown. Hopefully, he gets the right fights to earn it.

SuFly--Christian Mijares
    Will they ever allow Montiel to fight Mijares? This is the only real challenge for him.
    Kirilov should fight Munoz, then the winner fight Mijares (who I think will beat Montiel).

Flywt--Nonito Donaire
    I liked this kid from the first time I saw him, and he has proven that a person CAN improve on his power. I don't see anyone at the Flywt division beating him .

***The Jorge Arce v. Vic Darchinyan fight needs to happen NOW. They are both top promoted fighters who are currently going NOWHERE because of decisive losses. A match against each other will clear the air about who proceeds. FLYWT or SUFLYWT? Who cares?***

JuFlywt-- Ivan Calderon v. U. Solis & Omar Nino v. Edgar Sosa
    Will decide it for me. Brian Viloria kept getting in the way of the Sosa v. Nino rematch. Now that the Hawaiian has been 'punched' from contention, perhaps this fight can finally happen. Can either one outbox Ivan Calderon? Archie already beat the top in the division... Another great matchup to be made!

Minimum--Condes
    Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

168lbs will be a big question mark once Calzaghe moves up.
    I think that is why so many people are excited about this weight class.
    There are about 10 possible fighters that could end up being a champ by year's end.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heres some names of fighters I think will capture a title this year.

Povetkin - He will pick up a title somewhere along the way.
    Hugo Garay - I think he will FINALLY get himself a title after the failed attempts hes had.
    Inkin - All the way, I think he'll pick up a title.
    Amin or SS - If either guy can get a title it'll be great their only hope would be a Sturm fight.
    Sergio Martinez - Yet another Argentine like Garay will capture a title.
    Miguel Huerta - If given the oppourtunity 'right now' I'd favor him over any of the champs
    Hiroyuki Enoki - Overdue for a title shot now, my moneys on him to beat Luevano or Guerrero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick

Hugo Garay - I think he will FINALLY get himself a title after the failed attempts hes had.
    Amin or SS - If either guy can get a title it'll be great their only hope would be a Sturm fight.
    Miguel Huerta - If given the oppourtunity 'right now' I'd favor him over any of the champs
    Hiroyuki Enoki - Overdue for a title shot now, my moneys on him to beat Luevano or Guerrero.
    A few comments:

- Povetkin will beat Chambers, but lose to Klitschko. Whether he will get another title shot in 2008 seems questionable to me.
    - Hugo Garay is the mandatory for Danny Green. I take it that you'll be picking Garay? (I have seen little of him, so cannot argue either way)
    - Sebastian Sylvester is already talking up a Sturm fight. Seems 50/50 to me.
    - Miguel Huerta: Doesnt quite fit the thread from the other day ('only' 8 losses), but talk about a guy with a deceiving record!

Anyway: Great, and rather unorthox (compared to the guys most here talk about) choices! CC.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel_K
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick

A few comments:

- Povetkin will beat Chambers, but lose to Klitschko. Whether he will get another title shot in 2008 seems questionable to me.
    - Hugo Garay is the mandatory for Danny Green. I take it that you'll be picking Garay? (I have seen little of him, so cannot argue either way)
    - Sebastian Sylvester is already talking up a Sturm fight. Seems 50/50 to me.
    - Miguel Huerta: Doesnt quite fit the thread from the other day ('only' 8 losses), but talk about a guy with a deceiving record!

Anyway: Great, and rather unorthox (compared to the guys most here talk about) choices! CC.
    CC#61 on me Mikkel_K...
    Good comments on your part.
    Tough luck for Garay that he's had against Erdei... I've only seen their 2nd fight and it was damn! close. I had Erdei wining by 1 point, which reminds me women shouldn't be allowed to be judges... How in the world did Lynne have that fight 118-110 for Garay? Mind blowing...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lightwt--Baby Bull v. Galaxy Warrior
    I think Nate Campbell has the power and ability to beat Juan Diaz, but I don't see him controlling the whole division. Styles make fights, and Campbells style can--and has--been beaten several times.

JuLtwt--Joan Guzman
    He will clean up the division, if he doesn't go to Ltwt. I am concerned that he won't have any power at all at 135. If he does go up, then I will say Humberto Soto will take over the division. JM Marquez is a favorite, but he is coming into the twilight of his career. WHY IS IT THAT VALERO DOESN'T FIGHT IN THE US? btw--PACQUIAO LOSES TO ALL OF THE ABOVE--GUZMAN, SOTO, MARQUEZ & VALERO.FWT--Chris John, w/ honorable mention to Orlando Salido

D**n I wish you could teach power!!! what kind of fighter would CJ be with some pop?
    Orlando Salido is probably the strongest Fwt out there right now. He already beat Guerrero, but was stripped b/c of a disputed 'positive' for substances that naturally appear in the human body! I say he KO's Guerrero in a rematch, and he and Linares could make the FW fight of the year!

SuBntwt--Celestino Caballero

C'mon... A six foot 122lber? He is the Paul Williams of the SuBntwts.
    I know everyone is buzzing for Vasquez/Marquez III, but notice how the unification discussion stopped when Caballero destroyed Ponce de Leon? This is alot of speculation, but here it goes...
    Marquez beats Vasquez in III; Vasquez retires; Ponce de Leon LOSES to Marquez, then Marquez loses to Caballero. Sycuan won't risk putting CC in with anyone but the top guy, and they weren't going to fight two of their own (Vasquez & Caballero).

Bntwt--Joseph Agbeko
    Can't say that I have seen a whole bunch of these people in action, but Agbeko is a young, talented athlete who just beat a veteran for the title. I think he might have the right combination of strenght, speed and talent to take the Ring crown. Hopefully, he gets the right fights to earn it.

SuFly--Christian Mijares
    Will they ever allow Montiel to fight Mijares? This is the only real challenge for him.
    Kirilov should fight Munoz, then the winner fight Mijares (who I think will beat Montiel).

Flywt--Nonito Donaire
    I liked this kid from the first time I saw him, and he has proven that a person CAN improve on his power. I don't see anyone at the Flywt division beating him .

***The Jorge Arce v. Vic Darchinyan fight needs to happen NOW. They are both top promoted fighters who are currently going NOWHERE because of decisive losses. A match against each other will clear the air about who proceeds. FLYWT or SUFLYWT? Who cares?***

JuFlywt-- Ivan Calderon v. U. Solis & Omar Nino v. Edgar Sosa
    Will decide it for me. Brian Viloria kept getting in the way of the Sosa v. Nino rematch. Now that the Hawaiian has been 'punched' from contention, perhaps this fight can finally happen. Can either one outbox Ivan Calderon? Archie already beat the top in the division... Another great matchup to be made!

Minimum--Condes
    Nuff said.
    you got some explaning to do....

p.s, since you obviously don't know, valero failed a health exam or something, denying him a license to fight in the U.S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Marvelous Rain

JuLtwt--Joan Guzman
    He will clean up the division, if he doesn't go to Ltwt. I am concerned that he won't have any power at all at 135. If he does go up, then I will say Humberto Soto will take over the division. JM Marquez is a favorite, but he is coming into the twilight of his career. WHY IS IT THAT VALERO DOESN'T FIGHT IN THE US? btw--[b][color=red]PACQUIAO LOSES TO ALL OF THE ABOVE--GUZMAN, SOTO, MARQUEZ & VALERO.

p.s, since you obviously don't know, valero failed a health exam or something, denying him a license to fight in the U.S.
    Guzman--I believe is a no brainer. He will box the pants off of Pacquiao. He has the speed, the size and the accuracy to do it.

Soto--a diligent warrior who will not back off of MP. He also has the power to KO Pacquiao (please note that both fighters above are already considering a run at Ltwt).

Marquez--I won't even discuss it. Just wait for the March rematch. Because he has slowed down, he has lost some of his pop, but he still has the tools to get the job done. This will be a great rematch.

Valero--both of his hands are dipped in cement, and MP just leaves himself too open.

Let me know your thoughts JMRain...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JuLtwt--Joan Guzman
    He will clean up the division, if he doesn't go to Ltwt. I am concerned that he won't have any power at all at 135. If he does go up, then I will say Humberto Soto will take over the division. JM Marquez is a favorite, but he is coming into the twilight of his career. WHY IS IT THAT VALERO DOESN'T FIGHT IN THE US? btw--[b][color=red]PACQUIAO LOSES TO ALL OF THE ABOVE--GUZMAN, SOTO, MARQUEZ & VALERO.

Guzman--I believe is a no brainer. He will box the pants off of Pacquiao. He has the speed, the size and the accuracy to do it.

Soto--a diligent warrior who will not back off of MP. He also has the power to KO Pacquiao (please note that both fighters above are already considering a run at Ltwt).

Marquez--I won't even discuss it. Just wait for the March rematch. Because he has slowed down, he has lost some of his pop, but he still has the tools to get the job done. This will be a great rematch.

Valero--both of his hands are dipped in cement, and MP just leaves himself too open.

i think ur pretty bias against pac, the only fighter that i see that really has a chance against the p4p best second only to floyd (pacman) is jmm. come march it will be a great battle between two top 4 p4pders of the world.

guzman has boxing skills but thats the same things they said about every fighter pac has face, and theres no doubt that pac brings hell to all of them. guzman has never been in agains a fighter like pac who has speed and stamina in his side at every match. guzman needs power to beat pac to keep him at bay which in truth guzman has not. his only chance is if he can sustain 12 rounds of pacs punishing blows after blows, and keep in mind. if you've seen enough guzmans fight, his stamina is suspect and pac is a much condition and younger fighter. i don't see guzman having a cchance lasting 10, by the 7th he'll start hurting from pacs blows and he'l just got slower and slower then. he has no power to keep pac honest.

your the first i heard to say soto will beat pac, this one is a joke really to even debate about.

valero does have power but you say pac leave himself open way too much, what you think valero has defense? his the older version of pac. wild and all about power, as a matter of fact not even the old version of pac. im talking about the 20 year old pac that was totally wild. not the 24 year old that whoop ledwaba a master boxer and barrera the featherweight king of the time. valero has fought nobody his power is still overrated til he steps up his opposition. everyone he has fought would be easy meal for pac,jmm and even guzman.

heres my list that have the most chance beating pac:

jmm
    juan diaz at lightweight
    guzman

Addicted to_boxing Guest

JuLtwt--Joan Guzman

i think ur pretty bias against pac, the only fighter that i see that really has a chance against the p4p best second only to floyd (pacman) is jmm. come march it will be a great battle between two top 4 p4pders of the world.

guzman has boxing skills but thats the same things they said about every fighter pac has face, and theres no doubt that pac brings hell to all of them. guzman has never been in agains a fighter like pac who has speed and stamina in his side at every match. guzman needs power to beat pac to keep him at bay which in truth guzman has not. his only chance is if he can sustain 12 rounds of pacs punishing blows after blows, and keep in mind. if you've seen enough guzmans fight, his stamina is suspect and pac is a much condition and younger fighter. i don't see guzman having a cchance lasting 10, by the 7th he'll start hurting from pacs blows and he'l just got slower and slower then. he has no power to keep pac honest.

your the first i heard to say soto will beat pac, this one is a joke really to even debate about.

valero does have power but you say pac leave himself open way too much, what you think valero has defense? his the older version of pac. wild and all about power, as a matter of fact not even the old version of pac. im talking about the 20 year old pac that was totally wild. not the 24 year old that whoop ledwaba a master boxer and barrera the featherweight king of the time. valero has fought nobody his power is still overrated til he steps up his opposition. everyone he has fought would be easy meal for pac,jmm and even guzman.

heres my list that have the most chance beating pac:

jmm
    juan diaz at lightweight
    guzman

Solis and Valero have a puncher chance. Pac enter exchanges without caution because some of his recent opponents lacked one punch KO power . JMM, MAB, EM, Solis, Larios ? Pac has not had to respect his opponents power. skill yes power no ! Then there is speed, neither of the mentioned above has above average speed or great footwork. Boxing as you know is mental and that is a huge advantage knowing you can change the outcome with a single punch and that your opponent is slow afoot. I await the day Pac gets tagged by a heavier puncher or outpunched by a faster opponent and see how he reacts. Julius Marvelous Rain I know Pac is your man but his scheduling to date has been brilliant! However, 2008 will be the year we witness the true makeup of Pac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post

(...)Hugo Garay - I think he will FINALLY get himself a title after the failed attempts hes had.
    I remembered you made this claim - well done!

You should be applauded
    [I need to spread around first]

Thread Information