Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The fights my dad always talked about

My dad died this morning at 12.30 am in Sandwell hospital. I got back home at around 3.30 and, just after, classic fights were on tv, with joe frazier and jimmy ellis. It reminded me of my dad because he always used to talk about watching old fights in the sixties and seventies, not live but highlights. Does anyone know what the show was called? He told me about Marciano and Walcott, and told me that the ref gave marciano one more round before he stopped it. I was fascinated by this, but my old man was always prone to exaggeration so I don't know. He also used to talk about the fight between Emille Griffith and I presume Benny Paret, when he said that it was the worst beating he'd seen anybody take. He told me that after one fight with sugar ray robinson, carmen bassilio's mother couldn't recognise her son. This was probably an exaggeration as well, but it was both horrible and magical to a young boy learning about life and boxing. My dad loved fighters rather than boxers. He said Ali and Leonard were brilliant, but insisted that they were on drugs as nobody could possibly move that fast. His favourites were Duran, Hagler and Tyson. I'll miss him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The fights my dad always talked about

my condolences to you Wright. God Bless you and your family.
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wright
    My dad died this morning at 12.30 am in Sandwell hospital. I got back home at around 3.30 and, just after, classic fights were on tv, with joe frazier and jimmy ellis. It reminded me of my dad because he always used to talk about watching old fights in the sixties and seventies, not live but highlights. Does anyone know what the show was called? He told me about Marciano and Walcott, and told me that the ref gave marciano one more round before he stopped it. I was fascinated by this, but my old man was always prone to exaggeration so I don't know. He also used to talk about the fight between Emille Griffith and I presume Benny Paret, when he said that it was the worst beating he'd seen anybody take. He told me that after one fight with sugar ray robinson, carmen bassilio's mother couldn't recognise her son. This was probably an exaggeration as well, but it was both horrible and magical to a young boy learning about life and boxing. My dad loved fighters rather than boxers. He said Ali and Leonard were brilliant, but insisted that they were on drugs as nobody could possibly move that fast. His favourites were Duran, Hagler and Tyson. I'll miss him.
    sorry to here that mate. ..... sounds like a good man, i wish my old man was into boxing, i have to drag his ass kicking and screaming to see fights.
    \

there my favs to...hagler

duran
    tyson.........but i also love watching awsome technical boxers like.....

jones jr
    floyd mayweather jr
    ali and sugar ray leonard among others........

and to answer ur question...YES marciano got lucky, he was getting severly outboxed by a senoir citizen in walcott. but thats what a great puncher like marciano can do.....lose 3/4 of a fight and take u out with one punch
    &quot;To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragety&quot; -Cus D&#039;amato-<br /><br />&quot;I pitty the fool&quot;-clubber lang-<br /><br />&quot;My power is discombobulatingly devastating I could feel is muscle tissues collapse under my force. It&#039;s ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm&quot;

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My dad died this morning at 12.30 am in Sandwell hospital. I got back home at around 3.30 and, just after, classic fights were on tv, with joe frazier and jimmy ellis.
    1st and foremost my thoughts and prayers are with you and will be with you tonight.

It reminded me of my dad because he always used to talk about watching old fights in the sixties and seventies, not live but highlights. Does anyone know what the show was called?
    Well that I know of there was only the 'Gillette Calvacade of Sports' back in those days. Where Kid Gavilan fought most often but they also featured Marciano, SRR, Pep among others.

He told me about Marciano and Walcott, and told me that the ref gave marciano one more round before he stopped it. I was fascinated by this, but my old man was always prone to exaggeration so I don't know.
    Well your dad actually didn't exagerrate enough. Marcianos nose was split down the middle. Below is a picture I have of Marcianos split nose the fight was on the verge of being stopped when Marciano lands his 'Susie Q' (right hand) and KO's Walcott in one of the most talked about KO's ever.

He also used to talk about the fight between Emille Griffith and I presume Benny Paret, when he said that it was the worst beating he'd seen anybody take.
    That was a horrible ending. I have the fight but refuse to see it.

He told me that after one fight with sugar ray robinson, carmen bassilio's mother couldn't recognise her son. This was probably an exaggeration as well, but it was both horrible and magical to a young boy learning about life and boxing.
    Attached below is another picture of Carmen Basilio 'DURING' the fight just imagine how he looked at the end.
    Your man wasn't lying to you he was telling you the truth.

My dad loved fighters rather than boxers. He said Ali and Leonard were brilliant, but insisted that they were on drugs as nobody could possibly move that fast. His favourites were Duran, Hagler and Tyson. I'll miss him.
    God bless your fathers soul and I know you'll continue to move forward and enjoy a good fight in your fathers memory.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sorry to hear your Father died. God bless you and your family.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you Mad dog, Troy and Cutmemick and Hulk. Your words are both appreciated and strangely comforting, even though they come from so far away. Then again, my dad was a boxing fan, and I think this sport looks after its own more than any other, regardless of where we come from. Cutmemick - it is particularly fitting that the comments at the side of your post (don't know what they are called) mention Arguello. I'm sure he fought Jim Watt, and my dad told me that Arguello was special, but being a kid I was blinded by the fact that Watt was British and I thought that would be enough to carry him through. It wasn't, and my dad was right again, just as he was with Benitez/Hope and Nelson/Cowdell. He was wrong about Lewis/Tyson and Hatton/Kostya, however, so even he wasn't perfect.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry to hear about your loss , hope you get through your difficult time .
    deepest sympathies
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

ICB Guest

Sorry to hear that bro before i go asleep i will pray for your dad and also you and your family. As for Emile Grifftih vs Benny Kid Paret 3, i advise you not to watch it. Its like watching a horror movie i've seen the fight and i will never watch it again the ending brought a tear to my eye, and im not the type of guy that does crying either but it was so dreadful to watch.

Anyway may your dad R.I.P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds as though you had a good relationship with your dad and he knew his boxing it seems. Our families thoughts are with you.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

May he R.I.P. My condolences Wright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry to here of your loss man my thoughts are with you!!
    May he rest in peace!!! Its good that he passed his love of boxing onto you.
    Nothings Sweeter Than Sugar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry to hear about that bro, god bless you and your family and may he R.I.P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry to hear of your loss Wright, reading your post it reminded me of my father an out & out boxing fan who gave me my first memory of boxing when he let me stay up late to listen to Robinson v Turpin 1 after that I was hooked .I was 10 years old at the time & have had a life time love affair with the sport ever since I don't know how old your dad was but he sounds from my time ,we never had a TV then, maybe the series was called Friday night fights. good luck to you mate & if you have kids make sure that love of boxing lives on in them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry to hear that mate...My best to you and your family....Your story reminds me a little of my Dad he used to talk boxing for hours....He is the reason I ever watched the sport in the first place...used to tell me about old fights....The ones you mentioned you Dad did not exaggerate..brutal bouts....back then guys were just a bit tougher IMO.....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sorry for your loss buddy.....Im sure hes up there with Rocky now asking him about how he got through that fight and looking down! haha made me laugh with how fast Leonard and Ali was that they had to be on drugs.

But yeah i hope you and family stick together and get through this....god bless.

Thread Information