Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that doesn't see Cotto beating Mayweather?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Am I the only one that doesn't see Cotto beating Mayweather?

Don't get me wrong, Cotto has shown to have what it takes to be a champion but I somehow can't see him winning against Floyd Mayweather Jr. I am surprised to see that on HBO polls and even here in the forum people are dying to see this fight.

I want Mayweather to loose badly really as much as I wanted to see Naseem Hamed but I can't see Cotto doing much really. Predictable, slow (compared to Floyd), etc. I can imagine seeing what happened to Baldomir for a 2nd time but this time with Cotto in the ring.

I don't understand all the hype .

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Am I the only one that doens't see Cotto beating Mayweather?

I don't know anyone apart from Danny_G who thinks Cotto will beat Floyd.

As far as I'm aware everybody else on this site would pick Floyd by unanimous decision.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, I just went to HBO http://www.hbo.com/boxing/ and saw how Mayweather vs Cotto had the highest votes. I don't understand.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who would you rather see him fight?

Most people think Floyd would win but at the same time I suspect most people think he's the most logical guy for Floyd to fight. And he's no Carlos Baldomir.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh no it's definitely the fight I most want to see in 2008. It's the world's best fighter taking on his universally recognised number one challenger amd would be a real superfight.

It's also the fight Floyd needs to cement his legacy as a true all time great so I really really want to see it.

It's just that I, and most other others expect Floyd to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ye gotta go with Ouma on this one, biggest fight out there and there is always a slight chance that Cotto could pull it off.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How can I say this.....
    Cotto is my current favorite fighter.

I don't think he can beat PBF today (this year)

If they fight in 2009, I would definitely favor Cotto. The more the time passes the better chances Cotto has at beating him.

But I sure as hell will be rooting for him if they ever faced off.
    I would love for Cotto to win and nothing would please me more then for Cotto to prove everyone wrong.
    If Cotto ever defeats PBF, I will put that win along side Duran - SRL I, as the most satisfying fight to watch on my list.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Cotto is the BEST fighter Mayweather can face in 2008 then there's not so much challenge out there I guess . Do I want Cotto to win? OF COURSE! I want ANYBODY to beat Mayweather in a convincing fashion but I can't see Cotto's style dominating Mayweather in the ring.

I can see Mayweather connecting from different angles and quickly moving away as he usually does since he's faster than Cotto. I just don't want Mayweather to have another easy victory with a big name and hear him talking all this crap .

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chino
    If Cotto is the BEST fighter Mayweather can face in 2008 then there's not so much challenge out there I guess . Do I want Cotto to win? OF COURSE! I want ANYBODY to beat Mayweather in a convincing fashion but I can't see Cotto's style dominating Mayweather in the ring.

I can see Mayweather connecting from different angles and quickly moving away as he usually does since he's faster than Cotto. I just don't want Mayweather to have another easy victory with a big name and hear him talking all this crap .
    Cotto is not an easy victory for anybody. He's one hell of a fighter.

If Floyd beat him with ease you'd have to consider him one of the greatest ever

SigmaMu Guest

Come on now. Baldomir is 10 times better than Miguel Cotto.

LMAO!

Chino, you killed it.

I guess we should also be comparing PBF to Malignaggi then.

LMAO!

I guess we have to raise the question again since you have not suggested who you think PBF should fight and why?

Cotto IMO and in many other peoples opinion, is the fight that should be made.

Floyd already left us wanting with Margarito.

I did not want to see ODLH vs PBF nor was I interested in Hatton vs PBF either.

If you don't understand why Floyd should fight Cotto then I have no idea what planet you are on.

Only Floyds fans who are afraid to see Floyd possibly lose, are the ones who don't want to see this fight happen.

If not a tough Cotto? Then who?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Come on now. Baldomir is 10 times better than Miguel Cotto.
    LMAO!
    Chino, you killed it.
    I guess we should also be comparing PBF to Malignaggi then.
    LMAO!
    Aw shoot! Naaaah, I would say Cotto is better than Baldomir but their speed can be comparable, BOTH SLOW compared to Floyd and we have all seen how Floyd glides through slow boxers.

guess we have to raise the question again since you have not suggested who you think PBF should fight and why?
    At the moment, well, hhhhhmmmmmm...its a tough one because the ones I, and many others, saw with a possibility have already been defeated by him: De La Hoya (a close split decision, questionable) and a clear victory against Hatton.

Cotto IMO and in many other peoples opinion, is the fight that should be made.
    Umh, *sigh* sure, I don't think there's anybody really out there so why not I guess. The only interesting thing I see in this fight is that Cotto is a big name and that's it. I will keep all my fingers crossed so that Cotto gets lucky in there and finally shuts Floyd's mouth but I doubt it.

Floyd already left us wanting with Margarito.
    Can pack a punch but too slow as well.

I did not want to see ODLH vs PBF nor was I interested in Hatton vs PBF either.
    More of a challenge than Cotto and Margarito in my opinion.

If you don't understand why Floyd should fight Cotto then I have no idea what planet you are on.
    Compare their speed, defense, KO power, foot work, jab, straight, etc. That's why I don't understand all the hype. The only thing I find, umh, interesting, is that Cotto is a big name, that's it.

Only Floyds fans who are afraid to see Floyd possibly lose, are the ones who don't want to see this fight happen.
    I am not a Floyd fan AT ALL. I recognize his skills but I just want to see him loose BADLY and I don't see Cotto or Margarito pulling a victory at all. I rather see Mayweather at MMA getting his ass handed to him in a silver platter (hopefully).

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"I would say Cotto is better than Baldomir"

going out on a limb there aren't you

"but their speed can be comparable"

No

They are both slow compared to Mayweather but Cotto's far quicker than Baldomir, its not comparable

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Am I the only one that doesn't see Cotto beating Mayweather?

Baldomir and Cotto, both slow but Cotto being better .

Yep! Both are slow compared to Mayweather which makes them easy targets and also easy to get away from trouble.

If we want to see Mayweather loose we'll have a better chance on seeing that if he goes to MMA rather than facing any slow guy already mentioned.

Hhhhhmmmm Williams comes to mind at the moment. Not that of a big name yet and needs to be polished a little bit but at least he has the reach, speed, etc. After De La Hoya and Hatton, can't see any one out there really giving him some challenge .

SigmaMu Guest

All I can say is that Cotto is not as slow as you make him out to be.

All of his best opponents have said the same things about Cotto.

He is faster than I thought.
    He hits harder than I thought.
    He makes you fight his fight

I will agree that Tony is slower than Cotto but Tony throws and lands punches from odd angles. There was something about Tony's style that did not sit well with PBF and Floyd knows it.

If I had to fight Tony or Baldo? I would pick Baldo 100 times over. You can't blame Floyd for taking Fred Flinstone Baldomir over Tony The Tiger.
    On paper Baldo might have been better than Tony because Baldo had the WBC belt but do you honestly think Baldo is better than Tony? And right about now we will hear from Frozen Solid who will bring up Santos and I can just bring up Jose Luis Castillo. Here is your cue FrozenSolid. lol

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Am I the only one that doesn't see Cotto beating Mayweather?

Quote Originally Posted by Chino
    Baldomir and Cotto, both slow but Cotto being better .

Yep! Both are slow compared to Mayweather which makes them easy targets and also easy to get away from trouble.

If we want to see Mayweather loose we'll have a better chance on seeing that if he goes to MMA rather than facing any slow guy already mentioned.

Hhhhhmmmm Williams comes to mind at the moment. Not that of a big name yet and needs to be polished a little bit but at least he has the reach, speed, etc. After De La Hoya and Hatton, can't see any one out there really giving him some challenge .

Cotto isn't really slow at all, he has excellent timing. He was consistently beating Sugar Shane to the punch in their recent fight and Shane is one of the quickest fighters in boxing.

To compare Cotto to Carlos Baldomir tells me you really don't know what you are talking about.

Probably best wait for Kimbo Slice's next fight, you'll enjoy that

Thread Information