Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MATTHEW MACKLIN SWITCHES FROM BILLY GRAHAM TO FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default MATTHEW MACKLIN SWITCHES FROM BILLY GRAHAM TO FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR??

Hey guys, I just read on BoxingScene I think it was that Matthew Macklin, the middleweight who is trained by Billy Graham has switched trainers from Billy Graham to FM sr! This is directly after Ricky Hatton was KTFO by his son!
    Must be a bit of a slap in the face for Billy Graham and Ricky Hatton but Macklin's reasons were that his boxing skills havn't improved for a long time and although he appreciated everything that was done for him, it was time to move his career to the next level and improving his boxing skills. Fair enough.
    He went to a Mayweather camp and said he learnt a hell of a lot.

What do you guys think? Anyone think this is distasteful? I see his point because it is about his career at the end of the day and he wants to get out of Ricky's shadow..I just guess his timimg could have been better lol

The full article is on BoxingScene. or...
    http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...7319-20351855/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: MATTHEW MACKLIN SWITCHES FROM BILLY GRAHAM TO FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR??

Its Matty´s choice also we all know that when Rick retires Billy will pack in too. Better to settle into a new trainer sooner rather then later and after all your never to old or wise to learn something new, I think its a good move for him i think mayweather will teach him some good skills that he can add to the ones Billy taught him

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chip
    Its Matty´s choice also we all know that when Rick retires Billy will pack in too. Better to settle into a new trainer sooner rather then later and after all your never to old or wise to learn something new, I think its a good move for him i think mayweather will teach him some good skills that he can add to the ones Billy taught him
    I think it will make him a better fighter personally. He's got as far as he can under Graham.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono
    I think it will make him a better fighter personally. He's got as far as he can under Graham.
    I think so too, his excuses for leaving are pretty thin if he thinks he under Ricky´s shadow whats it gonna be like under flloyds umm not sure about that one can see him moving on again once the novalty wears off hope not cos like you i think it will be the making of him.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think so too, his excuses for leaving are pretty thin if he thinks he under Ricky´s shadow whats it gonna be like under flloyds umm not sure about that one can see him moving on again once the novalty wears off hope not cos like you i think it will be the making of him.
    Only thing is, his style is more moulded into the Hatton way of fighting than the Mayweather. It will take a lot of adapting on Maclin's part.

Am i right in thinking he's been based in the US before?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only thing is, his style is more moulded into the Hatton way of fighting than the Mayweather. It will take a lot of adapting on Maclin's part.

Not sure think he was an Irish fighter who made his debut in the us don´t think he was ever based there but could be wrong

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd sr doesn't train Floyd Jr so he won't be under Floyds shadow. That wasn't his only reason..it was mainly to further his skills and career

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz
    Floyd sr doesn't train Floyd Jr so he won't be under Floyds shadow. That wasn't his only reason..it was mainly to further his skills and career
    i stand corrected sir however below
    quote"I watched and learned so much from the Mayweather camp and felt that it would be through them that my career would develop. I felt my career needed a new direction. I learned so much from Billy Graham but I felt in a way that I was operating in the shadow of Ricky Hatton. There was nothing wrong in that at the start because it was all part of the learning curve. But I felt that I wanted more than physical aggression," Macklin said.
    The impression i got was it was Roger not Flloyd Snr could be they got the wrong mayweather in the news article.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure think he was an Irish fighter who made his debut in the us don´t think he was ever based there but could be wrong
    I remember on the Carlos Maussa undercard he ko'd some guy in the 1st round and i remember reading in the programme, something about him fighting in America.

Anyways, good luck to him....he's exciting to watch and you can't fault the kid for wanting to better himself as a fighter.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz
    i stand corrected sir however below
    quote"I watched and learned so much from the Mayweather camp and felt that it would be through them that my career would develop. I felt my career needed a new direction. I learned so much from Billy Graham but I felt in a way that I was operating in the shadow of Ricky Hatton. There was nothing wrong in that at the start because it was all part of the learning curve. But I felt that I wanted more than physical aggression," Macklin said.
    The impression i got was it was Roger not Flloyd Snr could be they got the wrong mayweather in the news article.
    Hmm certainly possible! That would be a right slap in the face for Billy Graham. I'd rather train with Sr if I personally had the choice over Roger. His fighters always show great improvement where as Roger, although a former world champion does chat a lot of useless shit between rounds.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like watchin Yoel Judah in between rounds.

'tap, tap, bang, bang, bam'

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smart move, IMO FM Sr. is an all around way better trainer. Yeah loyalty is nice but if you aren't getting better than maybe its Graham who isn't being loyal and giving him his all.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He went with Billys blessings
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    He went with Billys blessings
    Thats good to hear then. Ya reckon Billy's read the part where Macklin said that his boxing skills havn't progressed and he wants a bit more than just aggresion?
    I mean its not like the media to twist people's words is it?? :P

Thread Information