Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default My rant to boxing news magazine won the letter of the week contest

You beauty!

A few weeks ago i sent a letter to Boxing news magazine regarding the Hatton - Witter situation. It was basically a rant at an article (open letter) that Gavin Evans had written about Ricky Hatton not wanting to fight Junior Witter. It pissed me off, so i vented my anger....and i won letter of the week.

I bought the magazine yesterday and i'd forgotten all about writing in. I turned to the letters page...eventually, and there was a heading that read 'sensible, not scared' and there was a picture of the said article. I looked at the length of the letter and i realised it was my letter.

Here's the letter...

I feel i must reply to Gavin Evans feature (regarding Hatton 'ducking' Witter). While i agree that the fight should be made, i disagree with Gavin Evan's logic. His logic was basically: Because Mayweather fought Hatton after Hatton made a negative remark about him on HBO, Hatton should take a leaf out of Mayweather's book and oblige Junior Witter. Seems logical...

But here's why i disagree (for now)

Hatton had publicly been saying he had the style to beat Mayweather since June 2005 (when he beat Kostya Tszyu). However he wasn't derogatory about anything he said. He went over to Atlantic City to co-commentate on the Mayweather -Gatti fight later in the month. He was clearly pushing for the fight.

Mayweather looked awesome in destroying Gatti and by now Hatton and Mayweather we're the hottest fighters at 140. Forget Miguel Cotto because he was mixing with the likes of Mohammed Abdulaev.

So what happened next? Hatton decided to go for another title (WBA - Maussa) which would have given him more bargaining power for the Mayweather fight. Unfortunately at the time, Mayweather moved up to 147 and beat Sharmba Mitchell.

So what happened next? Hatton (under different circumstances) moved up to 147 to fight for another title (WBA - Collazo). Mayweather (after beating Zab) took the Baldomir fight and then went up to 154 for the super-fight with Oscar.

All the time Hatton had been declaring how he had the style to beat Mayweather. Still Mayweather didn't show much interest.

Now was Mayweather ducking Hatton like Hatton is supposedly ducking Mayweather? Hell no! All he was doing was waiting for Hatton to make a big enough name for himself in America for the fight to become much more lucrative. Hatton then went on to KO common opponent Castillo and then he made the remark about Mayweather, live on HBO. Even then, he only commented on Mayweather's excitement factor (or lack of). Hatton had now established himself as a big name in America and that's all that Floyd was waiting for.

Basically that's what Hatton is doing with Witter. Although Witter's stock has risen, DeMarcus Corley was far attached from 'world class' (his next 2 fights suggest this). Vivian Harris is also not world class, regardless of what Gavin Evans will have you believe. I actually stopped taking the article seriously when Gavin went on to claim that Harris (in some American's eye's) was the best in the division. On what basis? Looking awful in beating Juan Lazcano? Looking equally as bad in beating blown up lightweight Stevie Johnston. The only reason he beat Johnston was because of the huge advantage he had size wise add that to the fact that Stevie Johnston was well past his best. Add that to the fact that he got ko'd by Carlos Maussa who can only be described as the oddest thing i've ever seen in a boxing ring.

I just found it ridiculous how Evan's could be so positive about fighters like N'dou, Kotelnik, Corley and Harris (because Witter had beaten them) and then in the same article ridicule Malignaggi, Torres and Juan Diaz.

So to conclude the rant, i would like to say that i am 100% sure Hatton will fight Witter once Witter can prove he has the drawing power in the UK, maybe even in the US. All that the American's remember about him is how he struggled over the finish line against N'dou and how he refused to engage Zab Judah. I suggest Witter get's himself over to America to fight Paulie Malignaggi or maybe even a belt holder at 147 because he seriously needs to raise is profile for HBO and Hatton's camp to be interested. Only then will Witter get his dream fight, because right now that fight offers too much risk and no reward for Hatton. Witter is a stylistic nightmare for anybody and Hatton's camp know this. Hatton won't take this fight until Witter is a big name along the lines of Juan Diaz, or until he has made his money fighting Pacman and Diaz if and when they both move up.

Sorry for the rant, great mag, keep it up!

Jonny Harrison, Leeds

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now i wanna know wether or not i win anything because they asked for my postal address and the page is sponsored by 'jab' so i was wondering if anybody knew if i get anything?

http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My rant to boxing news magazine won the letter of the week contest

Even though I don't agree with you, good letter mate.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just PM'D you and would have on Friday Morning but the College computers were not working anyways well done bro, as I say I picked it up Friday morning and burst out laughing in the shop that your letter was star of the week.

However I don't know if you do get anything it has not stated anything on the page etc but you could go on the website and email them maybe.

Anyways well done again and now every reader of BN knows your views LOL and plus I agree with them, bro

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    Even though I don't agree with you, good letter mate.
    ah you've seen my views on it!

It will be an outrage if it doesn't happen, but i still believe it will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a well written letter I must say. My only beef is that Witter doesn't need "drawing power" for the fight to happen. Hatton is the drawing power and the fans will and have come to any fight Hatton has been involved in in LARGE numbers. Throw in that this is turning out to be a grudge match, not to mention Witter is a Brit, and you have the ingredients for a mega bout in England. So what's the problem Ricky?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rican
    It was a well written letter I must say. My only beef is that Witter doesn't need "drawing power" for the fight to happen. Hatton is the drawing power and the fans will and have come to any fight Hatton has been involved in in LARGE numbers. Throw in that this is turning out to be a grudge match, not to mention Witter is a Brit, and you have the ingredients for a mega bout in England. So what's the problem Ricky?
    That's my point though. I think Ricky's team realise that they can make huge money on this fight, if they time it right.

They don't want the Witter fight to be an event like Urango and Collazo was, they want it to be an event along the lines of the fights with Castillo and Mayweather. And for that to happen, i still believe Witter is one or two world class performances away. Obviously so do Ricky and his team.

It's very smart business. Trust me, if Witter keeps performing, this fight will be huge.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well written - forgot you were a fellow Leeds lad

you off to the evening with Hatton at the Armkouries in a couple of weeks ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO
    well written - forgot you were a fellow Leeds lad

you off to the evening with Hatton at the Armkouries in a couple of weeks ?
    Aye!

I was thinking about it, but i think i'm going to save my money because i would rather put it towards his fight in May.

Are you going?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

might do - plenty of tickets left. Want him to sign my programmes from Vegas

only thing thats putting me off is that it's a black tie do !
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO
    might do - plenty of tickets left. Want him to sign my programmes from Vegas

only thing thats putting me off is that it's a black tie do !
    That's whats putting me off slightly. Ad have to dig out the old funeral suit for it.

Thread Information