Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default the "Chopping" Right vs. the "Straight" Right

I dont really knwo where im going with this but, i was watching Darchinyan vs Catubay. It was a flyweight title fight. I noticed Darchinyan used only chopping, clubbing rights (actually lefts). I was wondering if it was technically sound to fight a whole fight with only chopping right hands.

They say Vics heavy handed for a flyweight. So my speculation was this..Was he heavy handed natrually or was it the way he bashes and clubs his opponent with the chopping right that made it look so devastating? I also think the way he holds his arms is suited just for that kind of punch.

Vic Darchinyan vs Federico Catubay
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zwax17NXdGI

But then again, Vic did get outdone by the "straight" right of Nonito Donaire. I notice with a Chopping Right, you would have to work real hard to disguise the winging of the elbow. Where as with a Straight Right hand, it shoots from a shorter distance with just as much power. So logically a straight right would be the most efficient punch to throw. Now im just kind of rambling

what are your guys opinions on the clubbing/chopping right hand?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: the "Chopping" Right vs. the "Straight" Right

Quote Originally Posted by Walker Smith Jr.
    I dont really knwo where im going with this but, i was watching Darchinyan vs Catubay. It was a flyweight title fight. I noticed Darchinyan used only chopping, clubbing rights (actually lefts). I was wondering if it was technically sound to fight a whole fight with only chopping right hands.

They say Vics heavy handed for a flyweight. So my speculation was this..Was he heavy handed natrually or was it the way he bashes and clubs his opponent with the chopping right that made it look so devastating? I also think the way he holds his arms is suited just for that kind of punch.

Vic Darchinyan vs Federico Catubay
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zwax17NXdGI

But then again, Vic did get outdone by the "straight" right of Nonito Donaire. I notice with a Chopping Right, you would have to work real hard to disguise the winging of the elbow. Where as with a Straight Right hand, it shoots from a shorter distance with just as much power. So logically a straight right would be the most efficient punch to throw. Now im just kind of rambling

what are your guys opinions on the clubbing/chopping right hand?
    Don't take boxing lessons from Vic Darchinyan. That is not the proper way to box, or hold your hands, to say the least.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Walker,
    "Heavy-handedness" is something that a person has naturally. It's not something developed intrinsically. You know, on my very first day day of "official" boxing training when I was 13 years old, my boxing coach had me punch him on the arms and chest a few times with no prior comments given. Afterwards, I asked him what was the purpose for that and he replied "It's my way of testing if you are heavy-handed or not." He said it was a "gift" you either have or not. As for his unorthodox, impromptu evaluation, he said I had the "gift." His assessment subsequently proved true... Initially, as a 13 year old, I didn't think much of this attribute but later came to really appreciate it both in and out of the ring.

As far as which one is "better," the chopping right or the straight right? Well, it's like my thoughts on the flicker jab discussion from a few weeks back, there's a time and place for punch variants but on a comprehensive but strict comparison between the two, there is no comparison, the straight right is, hands down, the superior punch both technically and tactically overall. If you want to play around with the chopping right variant, wait until you have the straight right perfected.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I hope you're doing well. Take care and God bless...

Best Regards,
    Lito

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great Topic Walker.

A chopping right is something I use frequently up until recently.
    I will say that having adopted a "textbook" straight right, the power one can generate is much greater in a straight punch. As Lito said power is natural, so in the chopping right you limit your pwer to what you have naturally.

By using the straight right your using your own power and the perfect formula created and perfected by hundreds of keen pugilists to maximise your impact.

Thread Information