Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do Clottey and Williams have in common?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What do Clottey and Williams have in common?

Margarito was the only, I repeat ONLY name WW who had the balls to fight them, and he did so back to back. Oh yeah, and Clottey was a voluntary defence! That's right, VOLUNTARY! I jsut find that amazing. In this day and age, where guys turn down huge sums of $$$$ for one reason or another, Tony,win,lose or draw, is so old school,willing to fight anyone. And remember, there were idiots saying he was ducking Paul...

Cotto(not Cotto himself,but certainly Arum has mentioned EVERYONE bar Williams, even Clottey has been mentioned)

Collazo(who's team didn't turn up at the purse bid for the fight v Clottey and he said Clottey wasn't a big enough fight before taking an untelevised fight last week v a no-name)

Cintron(didn't defend v mandatory Clottey)

And a a few other fighters, have turned down/ducked these fighters. The more they fight, the more Tony deserves credit because, regardless of the outcomes of the fights,he's been willing to fight them when no-one else has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What do Clottey and Williams have in common?

CC #2320 Good post
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do Clottey and Williams have in common?

They're both better than Antonio Margarito.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    Margarito was the only, I repeat ONLY name WW who had the balls to fight them, and he did so back to back. Oh yeah, and Clottey was a voluntary defence! That's right, VOLUNTARY! I jsut find that amazing. In this day and age, where guys turn down huge sums of $$$$ for one reason or another, Tony,win,lose or draw, is so old school,willing to fight anyone. And remember, there were idiots saying he was ducking Paul...

Cotto(not Cotto himself,but certainly Arum has mentioned EVERYONE bar Williams, even Clottey has been mentioned)

Collazo(who's team didn't turn up at the purse bid for the fight v Clottey and he said Clottey wasn't a big enough fight before taking an untelevised fight last week v a no-name)

And a a few other fighters, have turned down/ducked these fighters. The more they fight, the more Tony deserves credit because, regardless of the outcomes of the fights,he's been willing to fight them when no-one else has.

Yea you have to admire Margarito, Clottey and Williams are both the two most feared Welterweights at the moment. And Margarito didn't even have to fight Clottey he could of took a much easier fight so i admire Margarito for taking that fight. Another thing i dislike is when i hear people call Margarito a *bum*. Margarito made 7 defense's of Welterweight title and he hadn't lost at Welterweight in over a decade until Williams ended that streak. I think Margarito is very flawed but i enjoy watching him fight he is an exciting fighter and never ducks anyone pretty much what we all want to see in all of todays champions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yet Margarito wouldn't fight Cotto, and instead fought Williams... he had an oppertunity of prove himself, but he didn't take it. This makes me question whether he really wants to fight Cotto or at least whether he did at that point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza

The sad thing is regardless of what Margarito does he is as maketable as a wet peanut butter and jelly sandwich so no one is really interested in him at a mainstream level except a few hardcore fans....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I left myself wide open for tha huh? It's a shame though,since Tony has a W in the records next to Clottey's name And the word robbery is never used in relation to that fight soo....

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock

The sad thing is regardless of what Margarito does he is as maketable as a wet peanut butter and jelly sandwich so no one is really interested in him at a mainstream level except a few hardcore fans....
    Sad click bro. I'm sorry,I have to. That's just stupid. Is Margarito exciting?Yes! Does he fight anyone? Yes! Did the fight v Williams draw a a dam big crowd?Yes! Is he marketable?definitely,given the right fights. SHZA,I can understand,he's a blind hater. You,I thought you were reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Yet Margarito wouldn't fight Cotto, and instead fought Williams... he had an oppertunity of prove himself, but he didn't take it. This makes me question whether he really wants to fight Cotto or at least whether he did at that point.
    You sir....are an idiot. No doubt about it. One of the first to say Marg was ducking Williams,no Tony wants to fight and is in line to fight Cotto, and well,he was ducking Cotto before? Totally foolish posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo

Yea you have to admire Margarito, Clottey and Williams are both the two most feared Welterweights at the moment. And Margarito didn't even have to fight Clottey he could of took a much easier fight so i admire Margarito for taking that fight. Another thing i dislike is when i hear people call Margarito a *bum*. Margarito made 7 defense's of Welterweight title and he hadn't lost a Welterweight in over a decade until Williams ended that streak. I think Margarito is very flawed but i enjoy watching him fight he is an exciting fighter and never ducks anyone pretty much what we all want to see in all of todays champions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puya
    CC #2320 Good post
    CC's guys,common sense posting. Not too much to ask yet so few and few between nowadays

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok,ok, so I'm not going to sad click JT because he's 1 of my fave posters and I'm coward. I do totally disagree though,I mean I thought a Lacy fan who saw his guy rise to the top fighting Sheikas and guys of that ilk and then seeing get ANNIHILATED would have some sympathy respect for Tony. Guess not Bas$%&*$

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahaha!

But seriously El, Good point
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey El Game, how come Cotto/Top Rank offered Margarito a deal and he backed out... I can't see anyone thinking not fighting Williams to fight Cotto would be considered ducking in any sense. So your the idiot for not knowing the facts that there was a fight set up and Margarito backed out of it to fight Williams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Hey El Game, how come Cotto/Top Rank offered Margarito a deal and he backed out... I can't see anyone thinking not fighting Williams to fight Cotto would be considered ducking in any sense. So your the idiot for not knowing the facts that there was a fight set up and Margarito backed out of it to fight Williams.
    Actually,you are wrong here my friend. Top Rank wanted him to fight Cotto. In order to do so,he had to vacate his title,the title he had defended SEVEN times and worked hard to keep. So he declined. Top Rank didn't like this so took him to court whereby they allowed a fight with PW ONLY if Marg was victorius,he would HAVE to fight Miguel. Tony said yes. Had he not fought Wlliams,he would have been stripped and he would have been accused of ducking PW(as he was by alot of guys here). Margarito didn't BACK OUT of anything,he would have fought Cotto and hopefully is going to fight Cotto.

If you think Marg is ducking Cotto,you are a totally confused because as I said before,you,frozen and alot of others were saying Marg is ducking PW etc etc. He fights him,now Marg is ducking Cotto,even though he may fight him this year?

*Sorry for calling you an idiot.*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i respect margarito for that, he's a true warrior

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Noone is saying Marg doesn't have balls, Gamo... But I think you are missing a huge aspect of this. Margarito fought those guys, because he doesn't have the ability to pick and choose who he fights... He's not in the drivers seat, like Mayweather, DLH, and now Cotto are. Those guys could potentially fight a number of top WW's and make millions. Toney cant, he needs to keep fighting these dangerous guys, because his only other option is fighting bums that will garner him no credit and no money. I realize Clottey was a voluntary defence, and fair enough he deserves prop's for taking that fight... BUT, he NEEDED to take those dangerous fights in order for people not to completely forget about him. If he'd gone and fought another Golden Johnson or two instead of Clottey and Williams, he would basically be a non factor in the division today. He doesn't have a large fanbase, and he currently doesn't have drawing power. I do think he's a marketable fighter, who just needs more exposure. I think he's great for the sport. BUT currently, there's no reason for name fighters to want to fight him. Which means that he has to use whatever he can to entice the best fighters available to him. He didn't have to fight Paul Williams... He could have vacated and fought Cotto. And don't go on about how his belt was so important to him... What the hell had it gotten him until then? Nothing but flack. If he was really confident that he would've beat Cotto, why wouldn't he have taken the fight?? Because it would've been bigger once he had a good name win on HBO? You see even he knows the deal. And if you can't admit that, I'd watch who you go calling and idiot.. It's simple business. If Tony could make 10 million to fight someone he already beat, he would do it. It has nothing to do with balls. Not that Tony doesn't have them, but so do Cotto, Floyd, and practically any fighter who has made it this far.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by baliw-ako
    They are Both weak and they are both stupids
    Why is that, may I ask

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Noone is saying Marg doesn't have balls, Gamo... But I think you are missing a huge aspect of this. Margarito fought those guys, because he doesn't have the ability to pick and choose who he fights... He's not in the drivers seat, like Mayweather, DLH, and now Cotto are. Those guys could potentially fight a number of top WW's and make millions. Toney cant, he needs to keep fighting these dangerous guys, because his only other option is fighting bums that will garner him no credit and no money. I realize Clottey was a voluntary defence, and fair enough he deserves prop's for taking that fight... BUT, he NEEDED to take those dangerous fights in order for people not to completely forget about him. If he'd gone and fought another Golden Johnson or two instead of Clottey and Williams, he would basically be a non factor in the division today. He doesn't have a large fanbase, and he currently doesn't have drawing power. I do think he's a marketable fighter, who just needs more exposure. I think he's great for the sport. BUT currently, there's no reason for name fighters to want to fight him. Which means that he has to use whatever he can to entice the best fighters available to him. He didn't have to fight Paul Williams... He could have vacated and fought Cotto. And don't go on about how his belt was so important to him... What the hell had it gotten him until then? Nothing but flack. If he was really confident that he would've beat Cotto, why wouldn't he have taken the fight?? Because it would've been bigger once he had a good name win on HBO? You see even he knows the deal. And if you can't admit that, I'd watch who you go calling and idiot.. It's simple business. If Tony could make 10 million to fight someone he already beat, he would do it. It has nothing to do with balls. Not that Tony doesn't have them, but so do Cotto, Floyd, and practically any fighter who has made it this far.
    Good post

Thread Information