Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Who were these promoters in Detroit, Chicago...?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who were these promoters in Detroit, Chicago...?

Detroit and Chicago was two of the best cities for boxing in the late 70s but now no majors promoters are there to bring bigs fights more regularly...

I know this is not merely a matter of promoters but I just want to know who were these promoters in the 70s, 80s who had made these cities two majors market for boxing?

Thanx

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who were these promoters in Detroit, Chicago...?

1st and foremost heres CC#1 on me and Welcome to Casa De Saddo....

As for your question. Back then it wasn't unsual for Gyms themselves to put on the big shows... If memory serves me right which sometimes it doesn't. Take for example Steward and his Kronk Gym he used to put cards together and showcase his fighters vs. fighters from other gyms and visa versa. I think one of the bigger names to fight in the 70's in Chicago was when Mac Foster fought out there early in 73-74...

But honestly I'm thinking here and I can't think of 1 BIG name to have fought in Chicago in the 70's....
    Maybe you meant 80's?

In the mid 70's a young kid by the name of Youn Joe Louis began to fight and quickly became a favorite in the Chicago circuit but never went to fight Worl Class....
    The big cards came in the mid 70's (big as far as local known fighters)
    (I know this because my B-Day is Nov. 22n but different year)
    Nov. 22nd '75 marked the 1st big card of the 70's in Chicago when Young Joe Louis was a prospect but had already tallied up some wins...

As for Detroit again I'm thinking here but coming up blank...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who were these promoters in Detroit, Chicago...?

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    1st and foremost heres CC#1 on me and Welcome to Casa De Saddo....

As for your question. Back then it wasn't unsual for Gyms themselves to put on the big shows... If memory serves me right which sometimes it doesn't. Take for example Steward and his Kronk Gym he used to put cards together and showcase his fighters vs. fighters from other gyms and visa versa. I think one of the bigger names to fight in the 70's in Chicago was when Mac Foster fought out there early in 73-74...

But honestly I'm thinking here and I can't think of 1 BIG name to have fought in Chicago in the 70's....
    Maybe you meant 80's?

In the mid 70's a young kid by the name of Youn Joe Louis began to fight and quickly became a favorite in the Chicago circuit but never went to fight Worl Class....
    The big cards came in the mid 70's (big as far as local known fighters)
    (I know this because my B-Day is Nov. 22n but different year)
    Nov. 22nd '75 marked the 1st big card of the 70's in Chicago when Young Joe Louis was a prospect but had already tallied up some wins...

As for Detroit again I'm thinking here but coming up blank...
    ok thanx but I just want to know the names of promoters who were active in Chicago and Detroit in the 70s and the 80s.

It would be appreciated if someone can help me on this question.

Thread Information