Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Should Exciting Fighters Get Into Hall Of Fame ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Should Exciting Fighters Get Into Hall Of Fame ??

I have seen people say Arturo Gatti deserves to be in HOF for all the excitement he brung to the sport. I have also seen people say Yory Boy Campas deserves to be in HOF, because he showed great heart in losing efforts against the best fighters. IMO to get into HOF you have to beat great fighters have a great record etc. I just don't buy that *excitement* should get you into HOF. Because if we are using that logic then fighters like Micky Ward, *Ricardo Mayorga = No offense Hulk* should get into HOF just because they are exciting ?? or if we are using the logic that being good loser against best fighters should get you into HOF, then fighters like Oba Carr should get into HOF because he showed heart in losing efforts against best fighters, sorry but i totally disagree with people who think this way but whats your take on this guys/girls ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should Exciting Fighters Get Into Hall Of Fame ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    I have seen people say Arturo Gatti deserves to be in HOF for all the excitement he brung to the sport. I have also seen people say Yory Boy Campas deserves to be in HOF, because he showed great heart in losing efforts against the best fighters. IMO to get into HOF you have to beat great fighters have a great record etc. I just don't buy that *excitement* should get you into HOF. Because if we are using that logic then fighters like Micky Ward, *Ricardo Mayorga = No offense Hulk* should get into HOF just because they are exciting ?? or if we are using the logic that being good loser against best fighters should get you into HOF, then fighters like Oba Carr should get into HOF because he showed heart in losing efforts against best fighters, sorry but i totally disagree with people who think this way but whats your take on this guys/girls ??
    Well, to be honest with you I see both sides. First lets look at what the hall of fame is, shall we?

A hall of fame is a type of museum established for any a field of endeavor to honor individuals of noteworthy achievement in that field. In some cases, these halls of fame consist of actual halls or museums which enshrine the honorees with sculptures, plaques, and displays of memorabilia. In other cases, the hall of fame is more figurative, and simply consists of a list of names of noteworthy individuals maintained by an organization.

noteworthy achievement... hmmm. Now as much as I agree with you that HOF fighters should be inducted for beating great fighters... I also must say that hasn't someone like Gatti's carrer been a "noteworthy achievement"?

I would have to say yes.

Now thats not to say that we throw any exciting fighter into the HOF but there are just some people that are able to capture that special thing... That thing that you can't verbalize or right about. You just know it's there.

So, although I was a semi devils advocate, I would have to say that not only do I think Gatti will be on a ballot some day... But I think you just might see him name enshrined in NY.

Nice post Ice!
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON
    Well, to be honest with you I see both sides. First lets look at what the hall of fame is, shall we?

A hall of fame is a type of museum established for any a field of endeavor to honor individuals of noteworthy achievement in that field. In some cases, these halls of fame consist of actual halls or museums which enshrine the honorees with sculptures, plaques, and displays of memorabilia. In other cases, the hall of fame is more figurative, and simply consists of a list of names of noteworthy individuals maintained by an organization.

noteworthy achievement... hmmm. Now as much as I agree with you that HOF fighters should be inducted for beating great fighters... I also must say that hasn't someone like Gatti's carrer been a "noteworthy achievement"?

I would have to say yes.

Now thats not to say that we throw any exciting fighter into the HOF but there are just some people that are able to capture that special thing... That thing that you can't verbalize or right about. You just know it's there.

So, although I was a semi devils advocate, I would have to say that not only do I think Gatti will be on a ballot some day... But I think you just might see him name enshrined in NY.

Nice post Ice!
    Thats one of the best posts i've ever seen from you CC great post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON

I would have to say yes.

Nice post Ice!
    Thats one of the best posts i've ever seen from you CC great post.
    Thank you, sir.

I guess I feel pretty strongly about Gatti getting in there. He pretty much always failed against top flight competition but he was one of the most exciting fighters of our time. How else would you be able to deal out accolades for that? Throw up a statue in Jersey city? Atlantic City, or Montreal... Nah, boxing fans are just as familiar with Gatti as they are the HOF bound Jones, Barrera, Mayweather or Hopkins.

There are many fighters that have "acomplished" more... But may never be seen in the halls in NY.

Notable accomplishment... That's the story of most of Gattis fights. Even in losses.

It's true what Merchant and Lampley have said. That although Gatti losses, he never seems to loss a fan... Thats that special thing I was speaking of earlier

I'd cc you but due to my debt I owe you karma will not allow it!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of the fighters you mentioned,Gatti most likely gets in.It probably shouldnt be this way,but lets face it,name recognition counts huge in boxing,and even the most casual boxing fans know Gatti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Of the fighters you mentioned,Gatti most likely gets in.It probably shouldnt be this way,but lets face it,name recognition counts huge in boxing,and even the most casual boxing fans know Gatti.
    Its true
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO the HOF has lost a lot of it's exclusivity. Yes Gatti's fights, even his losses, were great and an accomplishment but he hardly ever beat the top guys. For me, he does not deserve his spot, but i am a Gatti fan and would love to be there in Canastota if he does ever get in. But for me, he hasn't done enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They've let in worse guys than Gatti or Campas... As for should exciting guys get into the fall of fame? Ask Rocky Graziano.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

anybody worth remembering gets in, plain and simple.

Thread Information