Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malignaggi-Hatton close, Paulie praises Hatton and calls him a "Great champion".

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Malignaggi-Hatton close, Paulie praises Hatton and calls him a "Great champion".

Hatton-Malignaggi on the horizon?

NEW YORK (March 16, 200 – IBF junior welterweight champion Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi hopes to ink a pact early next week to confirm his dream deal: a two-fight arrangement culminating with a showdown against the world’s recognized No. 1 junior welterweight, Ricky Hatton, The Ring magazine and IBO title-holder.
    “I’ve got to admit that, after the Cotto fight,” Malignaggi said, “I never thought that I’d get the chance to fight another great champion again. I believed in myself, but it was almost like I proved too much to everyone, that I had skills, but most of all, that I’m as tough as anyone who ever laced on gloves. I’m really grateful that Team Hatton looks like they’ll give me the opportunity to fight on Ricky’s big card in Manchester in May and then against him in the Fall in the United States.
    “Ricky and I have a lot in common. Both our fathers were soccer players – his in England and mine in Italy – and we’ve both paid our dues and earned the respect of the fans and other fighters. The only marks on our records came against two great fighters, Mayweather and Cotto. What makes it so exciting is the big difference in our fighting styles. Ricky is rough and tough; an all-action fighter who takes advantage of everything he can to get the win. You’re never going to see a Hatton fight that doesn’t keep you on the edge of your seat. Most of my fights have been boxing matches. The excitement was dictated by how aggressive the other guy wanted to be. If they brought it, they got it back times 10. I know I’m at the top of my game right now and that’s what it takes to have a chance against a great champion like Ricky Hatton.”

Malignaggi (24-1, 5 KOs) captured the IBF title last June, defeating champion Lovemore N’dou (45-8-1) by 12-found decision, and Paulie successfully defended his belt in January with a 12-round decision against No. 1 contender Herman Ngoudjo (16-1).
    “Everyone was blown away when they heard Ricky was going to fight at City of Manchester Stadium,” Paulie continued. “It’s going to be crazy over there! They’ve had a lot of quality fighters in Great Britain - Joe Calzaghe, David Haye, Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank. They also had Lennox Lewis, but nothing like what Ricky means to them. Vegas was crazy last December and I know we can bring that atmosphere back when we go at it in the Fall. This won’t be a Friendly, more like a World Cup match, wherever we fight.
    “My goal has always been to make the biggest and best fights, just like my great friend, Floyd Mayweather, has told me to do. A match-up between me and Ricky will be a Super Fight, one talked about for as long as there is boxing. No other fight at 140 matters. And before the fight, well, everyone knows that I talk a lot of smack, so Ricky’s not going to get any breaks there, either. Like with Floyd, me and Ricky can save seeing if we’re cool until once we’ve earned each other’s respect at the only place it counts – in the ring. There is no one, I repeat, no one I want to fight more than the No. 1 guy in the division - Ricky Hatton. Forget the money, forget the titles, this is about being the best. I know that if I get in the ring with Ricky Hatton, I’ll show him and everyone else what I’m made of, that I am the best 140-pound fighter in the world.

“I want to thank Ricky, his father, Ray, his lawyer, Gareth, who I met in Vegas, my team and everyone at Golden Boy and DBE for working so hard on this. I know I’m not always the easiest guy to deal with because I get so emotional over stupid stuff and open my mouth. I want to hype things up and get my chance to prove to everyone that I can walk the walk with the best. I’m ready to sign on the dotted line and prove to the Hattons and everyone else that Paulie Malignaggi is ready and up for the task of making this the biggest and best promotion that it can be. The best versus the best! If Ricky Hatton can beat me, then he can close the book on the 140-pound division. But no one’s beating the ‘Magic Man’ ever again. Me and Ricky are both professionals and know we can’t get ahead of ourselves. We both know that if we don’t win in May, our fight can never happen. Let everyone know that Paulie Malignaggi will do his part to make this happen and I’m counting on Ricky to do the same.”

WOW Paulie Malignaggi actually respecting somebody. I thought I'd never see the day, props to him for that.
    Last edited by Saddo; 03-16-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: no need to link to PR's ;)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Malignaggi-Hatton close, Paulie praises Hatton and calls him a "Great champion".

This would take place after the Hatton - Lazcano fight I take it? I think Hatton will win, probably in ugly, tedious fashion - holding and hitting his way to a UD.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Malignaggi-Hatton close, Paulie praises Hatton and calls him a "Great champion".

Pretty ballsy of Hatton since I think Malignaggi has the potential to make him look stupid. If he had a bit more power I doubt this fight would even be considered by the Hatton camp. Looking forward to this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    Pretty ballsy of Hatton since I think Malignaggi has the potential to make him look stupid. If he had a bit more power I doubt this fight would even be considered by the Hatton camp. Looking forward to this one.
    Just beacuse he ain't facing Witter means he's ducking everybody else ?? this is the guy who fought Collazo, Castillo, Mayweather and Tzsyu right??

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why all the digs at Ricky? I get bored of hearing the same old arguments about a guy that has proven world class ability.

He's fighting one of the best at 140 before the year end, and I doubt he'd retire without fighting Witter. I can't believe people think a fight with Witter would be close. Junior isn't in the same class. Name one genuine threat that Witter has beaten?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee View Post
    Just beacuse he ain't facing Witter means he's ducking everybody else ?? this is the guy who fought Collazo, Castillo, Mayweather and Tzsyu right??
    Collazo was thought to be a easy fight - he almost stopped Hatton and got robbed, Castillo was regarded by the majority of people as being well past his prime when Hatton fought him. Tzsyu, IMO, was a great victory, the best Hatton has ever looked but you'll find those who can make a good case for Tzsyu being well past it and there for the taking. We all know what Mayweather did to Hatton. Hatton's record is somewhat unimpressive considering his glorified standing.
    For the record, I quite like Hatton and I have almost always cheered for him in his fights, but he is one the most overrated boxers around.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

seen this coming weeks ago mate...

isnt Malignaggi on the undercard of hattons next fight sure i heard that somewhere could be wrong.

Ricky of old wins this one for me but i guess its all down to if we still have the ricky of old after his defeat

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Collazo was thought to be a easy fight - he almost stopped Hatton and got robbed, Castillo was regarded by the majority of people as being well past his prime when Hatton fought him. Tzsyu, IMO, was a great victory, the best Hatton has ever looked but you'll find those who can make a good case for Tzsyu being well past it and there for the taking. We all know what Mayweather did to Hatton. Hatton's record is somewhat unimpressive considering his glorified standing.
    For the record, I quite like Hatton and I have almost always cheered for him in his fights, but he is one the most overrated boxers around.
    It amazes me how someone like Tony Margarito can get credit on this forum for doing pretty much shit all in his career. Hatton has achieved more yet gets bagged on.

I understand what you're saying, but nobody had ever knocked Castillo out before Hatton took him out. It's your opinion he got robbed by Collazo. The majority felt he just won it. I think people think this because Collazo came close when he had no business doing so. He's the top man at 140. He's no welter. He was beaten soundly by Floyd, but he's still a great fighter.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo View Post

isnt Malignaggi on the undercard of hattons next fight sure i heard that somewhere could be wrong.

Ricky of old wins this one for me but i guess its all down to if we still have the ricky of old after his defeat
    It was close but not confirmed. Remember if it had fallen through they were going after Torres. I think they were backing it up in case Paulie decided to fight Witter instead.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post

It was close but not confirmed. Remember if it had fallen through they were going after Torres. I think they were backing it up in case Paulie decided to fight Witter instead.

you know what would be a dream undercard for me mate is stick Malignaggi vs Witter on the undercard and Hatton meets the winner.... everything is simple in my world mate

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you know what would be a dream undercard for me mate is stick Malignaggi vs Witter on the undercard and Hatton meets the winner.... everything is simple in my world mate
    That'd be great. Plus it'd keep Junior on an undercard were he belongs.

It'd involve 3 promotors though, so can't imagine it coming off. It does make sense though. You think Paulie would unify with Torres?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

It amazes me how someone like Tony Margarito can get credit on this forum for doing pretty much shit all in his career. Hatton has achieved more yet gets bagged on.

I understand what you're saying, but nobody had ever knocked Castillo out before Hatton took him out. It's your opinion he got robbed by Collazo. The majority felt he just won it. I think people think this because Collazo came close when he had no business doing so. He's the top man at 140. He's no welter. He was beaten soundly by Floyd, but he's still a great fighter.
    I know what you mean, and I should be clear that I'm not trying to slag Hatton, I like him and I am a fan of his. He is a great fighter, but I also feel that he is tremendously overrated, particularily by his fanboys (not say your are one, you've always come across as very objective) who proliferate throughout this site (though for some reason there have been a lot fewer of them around since Dec. 8 ). I would also rate him much higher than I do Margarito. People use the defense of Hatton not being a natural welter, well neither is Floyd. Floyd is probably naturally much lighter than Hatton, so that argument holds no water with me. Hatton was simply out-classed and beat by a better fight, the best in the world, so there are no excuses needed there IMO.
    In regards to Collazo and Castillo: Plenty of people were ripped Castillo and calling him shot, and past it etc. after his fight with Njoudjo (sp?). Also, after the Callazo fight I remember sentiment being pretty divided in regards to who won the fight, I certainly do not remember the majority of people (at least those with objective view points) saying that Hatton won the fight.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That makes perfect sense Saddo, which is why it could never happen.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the time I didn't see it too divided, but it seems to get brought up alot now. I think there are excuses made for Ricky, but it's more people sticking with their fighter till the end. I don't ever remember so much euphoria for one fighter in this country. Not even Bruno. The natural welter thing I understand. Ricky himself admitted that after Collazo, he wouldn't fight at welter but him and Billy fancied the Floyd job as Floyd isn't really a welter. Ricky has lost once, to the closest fighter to perfect I have ever seen and I think there are too many haters coming forward and using that to suggest Ricky aint shit, which is the biggest lot of bollocks I've ever heard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm knocking having a dig at you specifically CFH, but any thread with "Hatton" mentioned draws the haters like a moth to a flame.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That'd be great. Plus it'd keep Junior on an undercard were he belongs.

It'd involve 3 promotors though, so can't imagine it coming off. It does make sense though. You think Paulie would unify with Torres?
    Witter would get the exposure if he won... Malignaggi would be a better fight if he won.

Hatton would just have to carry on as normal and all the fans would be happy makes sense to me.

as for Torres hes in the who needs him club

Thread Information