Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Lightweight Division...

So now that the Baby Bull has been taken apart by Nate Campbell, who's going to fight Nate?

Many people are backing Casamayor in his fight with Katsidis saying he's gonna box the skin off his face. I for one think Kasidis will win this on what I have seen in the ring as of late with Santacruz... Horrible.

Barring this fight being stopped on cuts I think that Katsidis will just outwork Joel. Now, in this sinerio, it's been said that Goldenboy would rather vacate then go up against Nate Campbell... This has been said by Campbell so I don't know how much water this holds. But if Nate were to fight Katsidis like he did Diaz then I see Campbell winning this also.

In the other sinario you have Joel winning. This could set up a possible rematch to their 2003 affair where Nate was outboxed. I see Nate winning a rematch with Casamayor also.

So where does Campbell go from here. He has finally made it. After all his attemps he made it on exposing a champ by giving him a dose of his own medicine. Nate Campbell impressed me by beating Juan Diaz to a bloody pulp. Something no one has come close to doing.

Now he fights who?...
    Last edited by PRIDE OF BOSTON; 03-19-2008 at 12:32 PM.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Lightweight Division...

I feel the baby bull will have to wait a bit longer.
    Given the severity of his facial injuries I feel that he will be out for a while, perhaps for the rest of the year.

Campbell is a hot prperty right now and as he isn't getting any younger I'd say we'll see him make hay while the sun shines, perhaps taking the fight with the other Diaz or maybe even Pac.

On the Casa/Katsidis front either man could go to fight Campbell while Diaz recupperates and either could win or lose.

It's a situation with hundreds of possibilities, but none which involve Juan Diaz until the end of the year or beyond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm very happy that Nate finally made it, and honestly, I think he's the best at 135 right now. Not by much, not in a dominate way, but he's the best by a little. I hope he gets one bigass payday in the next year or two to set up college funds for his pack of kids.

The problem for Nate is that Pac and maybe JMM are coming to 135, and once they get there, both going to be much better than any of the current crop of LW's. Amir Khan may eventually be the class of the division, but Khan probably won't hit his peak until he moves up to 140.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps Campbell iss the best "by a little" but he's still aging and he needs to hurry on and get his business done.

I don't agree that Pac and JMM will be better, they both started at much higher weights and there is notyhing to say that they won't be too small for lightweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All I have to say about Juan Manuel is that he is a Fantastic fighter. I love watching him fight. But if he's getting knocked down and around by featherweights what's a proper lightweight gonna do to him?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON View Post
    All I have to say about Juan Manuel is that he is a Fantastic fighter. I love watching him fight. But if he's getting knocked down and around by featherweights what's a proper lightweight gonna do to him?
    True.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Perhaps Campbell iss the best "by a little" but he's still aging and he needs to hurry on and get his business done.

I don't agree that Pac and JMM will be better, they both started at much higher weights and there is notyhing to say that they won't be too small for lightweight.
    I think Pac will be plenty big at 135. JMM, maybe not.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps he will, howver, the style he uses is one which could be exploited by bigger stronger fighters easily. He can't go up forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac would do OK. He has a nice wide frame that can support weight... But it is true that he would get exploited... He would slow so his swarming style might get him in some trouble at LW.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But he's targeting the one guy at the top he should beat to test himself. Thats clever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But he's targeting the one guy at the top he should beat to test himself. Thats clever.
    Pac is one of the most tremendous athletes in the sport right now. I was extremely impressed at the wat Marquez fought as well. Marquez is great and will be remembered for these fights and others for a long time.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's true that Marquez will be remebered, but I feel he has to go another direction now.
    A rematch with Pacquiao would be an unnecessary toll on both fighters reserves and they should both focus on other pursuits.

If Manny is to climb to lightweight, Juan Manuel can still avail of some top class competition against the likes of Joan Guzman and Edwin Valero if he so wishes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps he will, howver, the style he uses is one which could be exploited by bigger stronger fighters easily. He can't go up forever.
    I think 135 is as high as Pac can go and still be a force. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fight Hatton at some point at 140, but that would be too big for him to fight.

One reason I think Pac will do well at LW is that the division is thin right now. It's an interesting division, because there is a lot of B-grade talent and it makes for nice matchups. I'm not sure Pac could handle a really great true lightweight, but there aren't any of those around right now.

Donny makes a great point that he's targeting a beltholder who can essentially be a warmup/test fight for him. I can't imagine him lossing to David Diaz, but he struggles too much with him, it will be telling.

The only top LW who can both punch and box is Campbell. That's probably the most dangerous fight for him at that weight. Kats can crack, but Manny can outbox Kats, and for that matter,Baby Bull. Casa can't punch, but Manny would overwhelm him, me thinks. Nate has skill AND he can crack a little, esp to a guy coming up. As long as Nate doesn't stick his chin out at Manny...that would be a bad move.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For Pacquiao I feel he should target guys like David Diaz and Casamayor.

Campbell, Diaz and Katsidis are very physical guys and as Manny is undeniably smaller using a physical style those are the guys who could see him beaten.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Pac would like Nate Campbells body attack at all, that's the one fighter at LW I would pick over him I think.

Thread Information