Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Danny Green to retire Tuesday?

Several reports downunder indicate that WBA Light-heavyweight titleholder Danny Green is set to announce his retirement on Tuesday.Comes as a great shock to me as he was scheduled to defend his title on April 27th against Argentinian Hugo Garay in Perth.This was to have been the first world title bout held in the city an aspect of this bout that particularly
    pleased Green as Perth is his hometown.Now it may be all over for Green.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Danny Green to retire Tuesday?

People do different things for different reasons, better to retire than fight when you heart isn't in it (for whatever reason) saves us from watching a crappy fight followed by a bunch of excuses and him from possibly not getting injured. Very weird though.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Green will retire. Than come back like 2 months later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems strange. He has fought a long time to get where he is, and then retires. Sure he has his reasons.

El Kabong Guest

....I really don't care as I have never seen the guy fight and he's been in very few if any important fights (for those outside Australia)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bizarre decision, his career is at an all time high, he's a world champ in a lucrative division with Jones Jr, Hopkins, Tarver, Woods, Dawson and Calzaghe all in his weight class.

He could have probably made more money from an Anthony Mundine rematch than he's made in practically his entire career up to now.

I just hope that if he is retiring he's doing it because he wants to move on and not because of some as yet undisclosed illness either to himself or someone in his family

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing News -- 24 hours/day - Reload often!

So he did it. Very, very strange indeed.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would have thought he could look after his family a whole lot better after a couple big money showdowns?

I can't remember the last time a totally healthy boxer just about to finally hit the big time has quit before?

I know Floyd hinted at it but we knew that was crap, and Ray Leonard retired a couple times but he had kind of achieved everything when he chose to hang up the gloves.

Green has just won a belt in one of boxings most potentially exciting divisions right now. He's only 32 or something, in his fighting primes, especially considering how old everyone else is in that divison.

Totally baffling

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Henry Wharton did it just before he was about to have a big bout, forgot who it was?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I would have thought he could look after his family a whole lot better after a couple big money showdowns?

I can't remember the last time a totally healthy boxer just about to finally hit the big time has quit before?

I know Floyd hinted at it but we knew that was crap, and Ray Leonard retired a couple times but he had kind of achieved everything when he chose to hang up the gloves.

Green has just won a belt in one of boxings most potentially exciting divisions right now. He's only 32 or something, in his fighting primes, especially considering how old everyone else is in that divison.

Totally baffling
    He is 35 but hasnt had a lot of fights. He looked much bigger than usual at the retirement press conference so maybe he doesnt have the fire anymore to lose weight?
    Seems a strange retirement but is that only cos most fighters go on too long?
    I think he is financially pretty well off. He made 2.5 million for Mundine fight and probably a few other decent pays.
    I cant help but think there is more to this story than has been told to the media. I hope he doesnt have a medical issue.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was surprised to hear this as well. Confusing, but at least he retires at the pinacle of his career. I honestly couldn't see him going any further than a couple of shitty defences.

I hope the WBA stages an elimanator with two credible fighters. We don't need another Stipe Drews vs. Silvio Branco paper champion creation fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    I was surprised to hear this as well. Confusing, but at least he retires at the pinacle of his career. I honestly couldn't see him going any further than a couple of shitty defences.

I hope the WBA stages an elimanator with two credible fighters. We don't need another Stipe Drews vs. Silvio Branco paper champion creation fight.
    Being an aussie i wouldnt mind seeing Paul Briggs getting a shot at the title. He could have got both decisions v Adamek.
    If not him i'd like RJJ to fight someone for the title. Would give him extra bargaining power when looking for the big money showdowns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw the press conference and Danny was his usual emotional self. It was a little confusing because he said he still has the hunger and is in the best shape of his life. He also said he doesn't want to be one those guys who goes on way past their used by date. He did look a little bigger than normal but we probably see him more in the press when the fight is close and the weight is well and truly gone. He wants to focus on his family and "Business Interests". So it was a bit confusing for me. Might be more to come.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very bizarre, there must be more to this than Green is letting on, he is one fight from a huge pay day and he retires? Doesn't make any sense at all unless there is something sinister going on? I hope things work out for him but i'm very skeptical about this.

Thread Information