Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Saddo's Supplement Dictionary;

This dictionary is being put in place for newcomers to the forum as well as the stable users that are here daily.
    The aim is to give personal accounts and definitions of common supplements and their use.
    Ono, RozzySean and I will be preparing some posts on supplements, their use and effects on the body here. So give some thanks to those two guys.

Laters.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saddo's Supplement Dictionary;

Creatine;
    Probably the most commonly used supplement worldwide at this moment in time, it's amazing the lack of knowledge on this supplement.
    The Definition and Science;
    Creatine is a nitrogenous organic acid, that can be found in all organism's with vertebrae. Creatine naturally is used to keep the ratio of ATP:ADP energy in the body high. It keeps available ATP levels high through a process called biosynthesis. When creatine is taken an concentrated it can serve as a very effective performance enhancer. Although the source of some controversy, Creatine is perfectly legal, natural and healthy if taken with care.
    The Health Risks;
    Risks of overuse are listed as hypertension, due to water retention, dehydration of the non-muscular body and possible kidney and heart issues. However, the European Food Safety Authority has deemed creatine "not a matter of concern provide there is adequate control of the purity source of creatine."
    The Usage and Benefits;
    Virtaully every supplemebnt manufacturer distributes Creatine.
    It can be taken in pill or diluted powder form and usage varies from manufacturers and users. It is most effective taken a short time after training and following weight training.

Creatine causes the muscle to absorb water and grow accordingly. Although not having a great effect on the growth of muscle fibres, it allows the user a good "bounce back" stopping the muscles from breaking down and allowing the user to train harder and longer.
    When use of Creatine is halted, the water retention will be shed and the user will notice a decrease in muscle size. Creatine is effective when used in co ordination with weight training, but is also extremely helpful to athletes competing in endurance or aerobic exercises, allowing their muscles to recover quickly.
    Final Thoughts;
    Water is extremely important whilst taking creatine, the body would become dehydrated as muscle guzzles all the water. To deal with this, a persons water intake must be upped substantially.
    Creatine is widely available. However not all of Creatine available is of the same quality. Asian Creatine in particular has been criticised, with American Creatine being touted the most healthy and effective. As a rule of thumb for the inexpierienced user, sticking with name brands to begin with is a very good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Awesome stuff Donny! Very valuable thread.... I owe you reps for about 10 posts now and still have to share around more before repping... Great thread though!
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

L-Glutamine

Although it is less commonly used and known than Creatine, Glutamine is important supplement IMHO, it is under appreciated and under used. It can be purchased is in solo, pure form, and it is sometimes part of designer protein or supplements blends.

Definition and Science

L-Glutamine is the most common amino acid found in muscle tissue. It is 19% nitrogen, so it helps carry nitrogen into your muscle cells. Glutamine also helps stimulate the natural production of HGH. Intense training causes glutamine levels to be depleted. It can take up to 6 days for Glutamine levels to return to normal after intense workouts. Taking a glutamine supplement helps return those levels to normal faster.

Risks

No risks have been found associated with Glutamine. Taking too much may cause upset stomach. I've never had this happen.

Usage and Benefits

Glutamine comes as a tasteless white power. It can be mixed with any liquid. You can take it up to three times per day, 5 grams per dose. I've always just mixed a rounded teaspoon in with my protein shake. I've also mixed it with plain water. It's tasteless and a very fine power, so this is not a problem. Bodybuilding sites recommend it in the morning, post-workout, and before bed. Personally, I mostly take it just post-workout. If I wake up particularly sore, I'll have some in the morning. When I was having a protein shake every morning, I would always add it to my shake.

I started taking because a personal trainer told me it was great for muscle recovery, and he was not wrong. Glutamine in your post workout shake, or even in a post workout glass of water, will reduce next day muscle soreness and speed recovery. Case and point - My skeptical girlfriend and I work out at the same gym. After a particularly hard session, I mixed her a glass of water with Glutamine. She drank it. They next day, she was amazed at the difference it made in her level of soreness, and now she takes it regularly after her workouts.

Glutamine has anti-catabolic ability. It helps prevent the breakdown of muscle. As a result, it helps you loose fat without muscle loss. It's great when you are trying to cut weight and stay strong/get stronger at the same time. If you are cutting calories, you have to worry about the body burning protein for fuel as well as fat, but Glutamine helps counteract that. I only recently learned about this, but looking back my experience with it, I will vouch for this benefit. Several times, I've needed to get myself back in shape and I've managed to get stronger while cutting body fat. How much it helps is hard to quantify, but it's a nice bonus considering that it's worth it just for the faster recovery.

Final Thoughts

It's not as sexy as Creatine, but it is very beneficial. It's a bit expensive, but your $40 can will last a long time. Two or three teaspoons per day is the max you will use. I recommend mixing it protein shakes. I've used Whey protein, Creatine, and Glutamine together and they make a great trio. This is a safe and effective combo. I've Glutamine used in on and off for years, and I think it's a great product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a great thread. Cheers.
    I am off to buy some L Glutamine as soon as I`ve finished typing.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good stuff, but its lacking...
    where is the TRENABOL?! lol. Kidding, I don't wanna open up that can of worms again.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm off to buy some L-Glutamine tomorrow as well, as well as some protein. Still not sure about the creatine though, do people think it is worth the money?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's worth the money. I'm not a lifter not in a big way anyway. I'm just a boxer, but I can genuinely say it's a help in the short space of time I've used it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

haha i might add it to my shopping list then, so far been doing some research and the list right now is...

Multivitamin
    Whey Protein
    L - Glutamine
    Acetyle - L Carnitire
    Fish oil

As i am going to step up my training and start my healthy diet again, i finally have some motivation as well so i can't wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I'm off to buy some L-Glutamine tomorrow as well, as well as some protein. Still not sure about the creatine though, do people think it is worth the money?

Creatine isn't too expensive. I've taken it in the past when I'm training for strength and not cutting weight. When I'm cutting weight (like now), I don't want to drink the extra carbs in fruit juice to properly load the creatine. I'm sticking to water and non-fat milk. Once I lose another 5 - 10 lbs, I'll probably reincorporated it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    haha i might add it to my shopping list then, so far been doing some research and the list right now is...

Multivitamin
    Whey Protein
    L - Glutamine
    Acetyle - L Carnitire
    Fish oil

As i am going to step up my training and start my healthy diet again, i finally have some motivation as well so i can't wait.
    That is a very good mix. I'm also going to make a post on L-Argenine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

L-Arginine (No2, PumpTech)

This has become very popular in the last few years. When I used to lift at World's Gym, it seemed like No2 drinks were standard preworkout starter.

Definition and Science

L-Arginine is naturally occurring amino acid. It is not produced by the body, but it is consumed in a variety of foods, including almonds and peanuts. It aids growth hormone production, helps eliminate free radicals, and helps the immune system. It is also a precursor to the gas Nitric Oxide. This aides vasodiolation. In plain English, it increases blood flow and helps pump more blood, and therefor oxygen, into the muscles. For this reason, it is also used to help male sexual disfunction. It "pumps you up."

Risks

Too much can lead to upset stomach or diarrea. If you have problems with your vascular system (heart trouble), you should check with your doctor. You should start out in smaller amounts to determine its effect on you.

Usage and Benefits

Arginine comes in pill form (PumpTech, NoS) or mixed into pre-workout drinks (Pumped Fuel, e.g) . These drinks usually have a bunch of caffeine. Check the label. If you take the pills you take a few in the morning and a few preworkout. Dosage is dependent on body weight.

You know that "pumped up" feeling you get in your muscles when you lift? You look bigger for the next few hours after the workout and feel buff. Arginine helps you keep that "pumped" look longer. It also gets you more pumped than you would normally. When you take this and lift, you will look bigger, fast, but it will be artifical. Once you stop lifting and taking the arginine, you'll loose the result. However, the extra oxygen the blood brings to your muscles will let you squeeze an extra rep or half a rep. That little bit of extra endurance to finish helps you push your muscles to maximum failure.

Final Thoughts

L-Arginine definately works. These products are on the expensive side, but you will notice effects almost immediately. When I was using it, I was lifting heavy and not boxing, so I can't comment on its effectiveness as part of a boxer training. I would put it on the list behind Glutamine, Creatine, and Whey Protein for boxing, but if you are into lifting, it's great stuff. I know that if I'm sparring, I wouldn't want the extra pumped feeling this stuff brings, but if you lifting on non-boxing days, you might find it useful. If you belong to a gym that sells the preworkout drinks, try those a few time before investing in an expensive bottle of NoS or Pumptech.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whey Protein

Right, well here's one that's useful for boxer's who are trying to maintain a steady weight whilst putting one some muscle perhaps.
    The Definition and science.
    Whey Protein is a term used to handle a collection of globular proteins which are isolated from whey. Whey is a by product of cows milk (taken from cheese.) It is an established fact, that whey has the highest biological value of any known protein.
    Whey provides an optimal source of amino acids, essential for building and repairing muscle.
    Furthermore whey protein increases the anabolic environment and prevents muscle breakdown. The bio-availability of this protein allows a fast uptake of amino acids. Whey contains both glutamine and cysteine, two crucial amino acids. It also contains a large number of beneficail protein peptides, immunoglobulins and lactoferrin
    Health Risks;
    Whilst Whey is safe for nearly everyone with ordinary immune systems and medical histories, whey can prove detrimental for users with severe allergies to milk and milk products. Individuals who sufferfrom lactose intolerance should also abstain from use or seek the lactose free form. There are no known bans on Whey protein in any sport or organisation.
    Usage and Benefits;
    Whey is an excellent supplement for any athlete. When implemented in co ordination with an appropriate diet this supplement can serve multiple purposes. One can promote the growth of muscle tissues, prevent the damage of existing muscle tissue and repair damaged muscle tissue.

Whey protein is one of the supplements that is safe to use on a conntinuous basis and is helpful even in the abscence of weight training. The body will expierience far less wear and tear and additional training will be posssible as recovery is greatly aided. This in turn allows the opportunity to build muscle tissue.

It is easy to use, taken in a powder form and many brands offer flavours that are quite pleasing to the pallate. So much so that many boxers I know personally, take whey protein with milk as a "dessert"
    Final Thoughts;
    The ideal first supplement, easy to use, safe and easily available. Virtually every brand of nutritional supplementation offers their own whey.
    It is advisable to again use an established "name" brand as you can be assured that you are getting a protein of the highest quality.

Reccomendable to anyone.

El Kabong Guest

Anyone use Muscle Milk? I was thinking about using that stuff

El Kabong Guest

Also NO2-explode or whatever....what the hell does that do?

Thread Information