Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 5 hard fights in a row.

Just noticed that BHOP will be fighting his 5th top line fight in a row against Joe C.

Taylor
    Taylor
    Tarver
    Wright
    Calzaghe.

Is this the best quality of opponent for 5 fights in a row that a recent fighter has faced?

Taylor himself went
    Hopkins
    Hopkins
    Wright
    Spinks
    Pavlik

Or Rapha Marquez
    Mabuza x 2
    Vasquez x 3

Anyone else i've missed who has had 5 in a row tougher?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 5 hard fights in a row.

Cotto has had nothing but tough opponents going back to Malignaggi. Malignaggi, Quintana, Urkal (who gave a good fight), Judah and Mosley is pretty impressive.

Hopkins has probably had the toughest run though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Cotto has had nothing but tough opponents going back to Malignaggi. Malignaggi, Quintana, Urkal (who gave a good fight), Judah and Mosley is pretty impressive.

Hopkins has probably had the toughest run though.
    Yeah it was a good run by Cotto but i can think of many others who have had a similiar run.
    Not to start a PBF v Cotto thread but i believe

Judah, Baldomir, ODLH, Hatton, ODLH is just as tough as Cotto's run.

DLH went
    Mosely
    Sturm
    Hopkins
    Mayorga
    Mayweather.

Not too bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trinidad went

De La Hoya
    Reid
    Thiam
    Vargas
    Joppy
    Hopkins

and they were all champions, I don't think anything beats that run

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
    Trinidad went

De La Hoya
    Reid
    Thiam
    Vargas
    Joppy
    Hopkins

I dont think that run beats any of the others i named. 2 greats in DLH and Hopkins. 1 good champ in Vargas, 3 also rans in Joppy, Thiam and Reid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Trinidad went

De La Hoya
    Reid
    Thiam
    Vargas
    Joppy
    Hopkins

I dont think that run beats any of the others i named. 2 greats in DLH and Hopkins. 1 good champ in Vargas, 3 also rans in Joppy, Thiam and Reid.

I think your opinion is more based on hindsight than it was at the time, DLH was the biggest fight of the decade, Reid and Vargas were the next big thing's and should have never been thrown in there with Tito, nevertheless they were champions and were never the same after their fight with Tito, Thiam was a lower case champion ( non major ) but he was no journeyman, many thought Joppy was the best MW in the world, and we all know about Hopkins. The funny thing about your post is that Hopkins is one of your greats and rightfully so, but if Trinidad would have knocked him out in that fight he would not have been a great, when you look at it that way Joppy, Vargas, Reid would have been greats if they would have beaten Tito. He took on the best competition that was around at the time, and since he ruined them people look back in hindsight and say those guy's werent greats, but that's not the tune they were singing at the time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Surely first prize must go to Anthony 'The Man' Mundine...

Rueben Eduardo Acosta
    Sam Soliman
    Pablo Daniel Zamora Nievas
    Jose Alberto Clavero
    Nader Hamden
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Surely first prize must go to Anthony 'The Man' Mundine...

Rueben Eduardo Acosta
    Sam Soliman
    Pablo Daniel Zamora Nievas
    Jose Alberto Clavero
    Nader Hamden
    You're right there buddy. Maybe he should get a medal for services to boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barerra fought:
    Erik Morales
    Johnny Tapia
    Kevin Kelly
    Pacman
    Paulie Ayala..
    ..and then Morales again
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trinidad went

De La Hoya
    Reid
    Thiam
    Vargas
    Joppy
    Hopkins

I think your opinion is more based on hindsight than it was at the time, DLH was the biggest fight of the decade, Reid and Vargas were the next big thing's and should have never been thrown in there with Tito, nevertheless they were champions and were never the same after their fight with Tito, Thiam was a lower case champion ( non major ) but he was no journeyman, many thought Joppy was the best MW in the world, and we all know about Hopkins. The funny thing about your post is that Hopkins is one of your greats and rightfully so, but if Trinidad would have knocked him out in that fight he would not have been a great, when you look at it that way Joppy, Vargas, Reid would have been greats if they would have beaten Tito. He took on the best competition that was around at the time, and since he ruined them people look back in hindsight and say those guy's werent greats, but that's not the tune they were singing at the time.
    The point is BHOPs last 5 fights were against proven top fighters. Reid Thiam and Joppy were potentially great fighters but as u say in hindsight were found to be not that great.

As for saying BHOP wouldnt have been great IF Tito had KO'd him, what a silly argument, the point is Nard Ko'd Tito and the rest is history. No ifs there.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with Eagle on Hopkins,..........How about Winky wrights last 5

Hopkins
    Quartey
    J.Taylor
    Soliman
    Trinidad........(far from hard I know). Throw in 2 back to backs with Mosley before those 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post

Hopkins
    Quartey
    J.Taylor
    Soliman
    Trinidad........(far from hard I know). Throw in 2 back to backs with Mosley before those 5.
    Gotta agree. Forgot about Winky. All those are great fighters except maybe Soliman, who if nothing else is awkward as fwock!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The point is BHOPs last 5 fights were against proven top fighters. Reid Thiam and Joppy were potentially great fighters but as u say in hindsight were found to be not that great.

As for saying BHOP wouldnt have been great IF Tito had KO'd him, what a silly argument, the point is Nard Ko'd Tito and the rest is history. No ifs there.
    From the span of September 99 to September of 01 Trinidad fought 6 champions strait in a two year span, three in which never tasted defeat, and two against MW champs that were naturally bigger than him. And you don't find that impressive, PUZZLING. Add on top of that the fights took place in three different weight divisions. Eagle we know one thing for certain your no Trinidad fan.

P.S Ohh and just for the record I gave you SIX fights and not FIVE, hopefully this will hold even more weight than what I have already said
    Last edited by Bookkeeper; 04-04-2008 at 01:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post

Hopkins
    Quartey
    J.Taylor
    Soliman
    You have (far from hard I know) next too Trinidad but nothing next too Soliman and Quartey, I love Saddoboxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From the span of September 99 to September of 01 Trinidad fought 6 champions strait in a two year span, three in which never tasted defeat, and two against MW champs that were naturally bigger than him. And you don't find that impressive, PUZZLING. Add on top of that the fights took place in three different weight divisions. Eagle we know one thing for certain your no Trinidad fan.

P.S Ohh and just for the record I gave you SIX fights and not FIVE, hopefully this will hold even more weight than what I have already said
    Yes Tito fought 6 champions but not of the quality of the fighters Bhop fought and is fighting.
    Being a champ does not necessarily mean u are great (Gavin Rees was an undefeated champ)!!!

Hopkins has fought.
    Taylor x 2( Big middleweight who was the first to beat BHOP in 20 defenses. Taylor much better than Joppy, Thiam or Reid).
    Tarver(BHOP moved up 15 pounds to fight the guy who beat Roy Jones and schooled him).
    Wright (P4P top 5 guy who had come off wins v Mosely, Trinidad a draw with Taylor).
    Now Calzaghe who is an undefeated undisputed smw champ!!!

That is more impressive then the fights trinidad fought!

To say i'm not a Tito fan is ludicrous. I loved watchin Tito fight and supported him in big fights against DLH, Vargas and shock horro Hopkins. The truth is tho that Bhops last 5 fights are against better opposition than those 6 fights u mntioned of Tito.

Thread Information