Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Calzaghe and Woods' verbal agreement to fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe and Woods' verbal agreement to fight?

boxingscene has an article that says Calzaghe and Woods have a verbal agreement to fight if they both win their next fights.

There's an outright quote from Woods' promoter Hobson saying they have a verbal agreement.

A little more shady is Warren's quote just saying that if Woods comes through his "tricky fight" with Tarver then he might capture the imagination of Americans (bit of an overstatement) and then a fight would make sense.

Anyway I guess it makes sense in a way although considering Calzaghe probably doesn't have many fights left I'm not sure if this is as big a one as he'd like but I guess we'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe and Woods' verbal agreement to fight?

If Woods wins he'll be just as legitimate a challenger as the winner of Johnson-Dawson, which are the only fighters really at light heavyweight which would interest Joe. It's defo a solid possibility IMO, unless an agreement could be made to fight Pavlik it's a s big a fight out there for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
    If Woods wins he'll be just as legitimate a challenger as the winner of Johnson-Dawson, which are the only fighters really at light heavyweight which would interest Joe. It's defo a solid possibility IMO, unless an agreement could be made to fight Pavlik it's a s big a fight out there for him.
    I am not that confident that Pavlik will take a fight with Calzaghe at this stage of his career. Taylor gave him a lot of trouble in the rematch and I can see Calzaghe fighting the same way as Taylor but at a higher pace for 3 minutes a round.
    I would be delighted if it happens and it would be admirable for Pavlik to take the fight but I am dubious that the fight will come off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cpcompany View Post
    I am not that confident that Pavlik will take a fight with Calzaghe at this stage of his career. Taylor gave him a lot of trouble in the rematch and I can see Calzaghe fighting the same way as Taylor but at a higher pace for 3 minutes a round.
    I would be delighted if it happens and it would be admirable for Pavlik to take the fight but I am dubious that the fight will come off.
    I hope they match teh Brits off against each other. Joe could be matched with Pav and it would do more for his legacy and Clinton should get a chance at redemption vs Roy . Thats what Id prefer to see anyway .

ICB Guest

Calzaghe and Taylor fight nothing alike you cannot compare Taylor to Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's why I feel Cal-Woods is more likely. It's a big risk for Pavlik so early in his reign, though thereward would be huge if Calzaghe has come through Hopkins. I feel Arum would like to protect his investment for the time being, though stylistically Pavlik-JC would make a great fight.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe said his next fight after Hopkins will be his last however I think he would want to fight RJJ first.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Joe said his next fight after Hopkins will be his last however I think he would want to fight RJJ first.

na he got fuck all interest in him...

Woods would be the perfect out fight for joe to have as his last.

he wants it in wales, everyone knows woods here, prolly be a 10pm showing and i got nothing personaly against woods, he is good, but not much more, i would expect calzaghe to piss all over him, they way he would want to go out.

thanks why woods would be picked.

If pavlik was to come up to smw or lhw i think they would take that, but i cant see that happening

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gonna diss my own home town boy but Joe's fights fall through when there written on paper...Gives you an indication of how likley this is if they only have a verbal agreement lol.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guaranteed Prem he will want to cash in on his victory over Bhop and the US is where the cash is, ask Hatton. If not RJJ, it will be Tito, Pavlik or even Taylor and for his final fight it could be Woods.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Preme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

na he got fuck all interest in him...

Woods would be the perfect out fight for joe to have as his last.

he wants it in wales, everyone knows woods here, prolly be a 10pm showing and i got nothing personaly against woods, he is good, but not much more, i would expect calzaghe to piss all over him, they way he would want to go out.

thanks why woods would be picked.

If pavlik was to come up to smw or lhw i think they would take that, but i cant see that happening
    Actually i can see Woods doing quite well against Calzaghe remember a similar opponent to Woods aka Richie Woodhall gave Calzaghe some problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

theres better fights out there for joe.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tins06 View Post
    Gonna diss my own home town boy but Joe's fights fall through when there written on paper...Gives you an indication of how likley this is if they only have a verbal agreement lol.

To be fair he has been better of late, but at one time he worse than Tyson for ballsing fights up
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information