Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hello new here, kickboxer wanting to learn boxing

Hello I'm new to boxing and I'm taking kickboxing classes but rather gain excellent skills as a boxer first.

I came up with a drill plan to improve my skills, can you please tell me if this is a good plan?

1st month work on foot work, defense, while learning to properly & efficiently do a 1, 2 combination.

Do this until I get it right.

2nd month more foot and D, do more complex combos.

Input welcomed, thank you!

MuayThai Viper

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hello new here, kickboxer wanting to learn boxing

Hi, why dont you go to a boxing gym as well ?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Banana trees are good target practice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey welcome to the forum.
    Im a kickboxer , been training for just over 10 years now but I love boxing as well. Dont you learn boxing techniques as part of your kickboxing?
    Most of the punches and training I learn and practice are exactly the same as boxing as well as the focus pad & bag work. The only main differences are obviously I incorporate leg techniques in my training & sparring as well.
    Nothings Sweeter Than Sugar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well mate,

I see you have "first month" practice 1-2 combinations, footwork and defence until you get it right.

I have to intervene here.
    If you want "excellent" skills, a months practice will leave you severely dissatisfied. The one two ccombination may take a year to perfect and a fighter can spend years adressing his movement and defense. Training on your own shows that you are keen and I credit you for that, but alone you will never be fully rewarded. You need a coach to teach you a correct technique, as the more you practise incorrect movements, the more that bad habit becomes ingrained in your overall boxing nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love to get formal training but right cannot afford to right now. So I take the heavy bag workout classes only.

THat's why I'm trying to learn from people at my gym and forums like this one.

I was told by an experienced guy at the gym, I chicken wag my cross and should have my elbows bend downward so that I don't telegraph my cross. Is that right?

Also, I'm going to hang a tennis ball on a string and use it to practice body movement.

You guys can give me tips I'd really appreciate it, until I get some real training at the gym.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MuayThaiViper View Post
    I would love to get formal training but right cannot afford to right now. So I take the heavy bag workout classes only.

THat's why I'm trying to learn from people at my gym and forums like this one.

I was told by an experienced guy at the gym, I chicken wag my cross and should have my elbows bend downward so that I don't telegraph my cross. Is that right?

Also, I'm going to hang a tennis ball on a string and use it to practice body movement.

You guys can give me tips I'd really appreciate it, until I get some real training at the gym.
    Too bad that you don't live around me. I train at a combo boxing/muay thai gym and I regularly spar with Muay Thai guys using only hand techniques. The Muay Thai guys come over sometimes to work on punch technique.

In my experience, the many muay thai guys have crappy jabs and they are open to getting hit by jabs. The stance is more square and the hands are wider. Some of them don't turn properly into their right crosses and some have a bad habit of not pulling back their rights quick enough after the cross. So watch out that you don't do that.

Ask around you're Muay Thai gym and see if anybody has western boxing experience. You might find somebody who switched over from regular boxing. I know a few a the Muay Thai fighters at my gym started with regular boxing and some have even done quite a bit, including one of the trainers. If your gym is worth the dues, there will probably be somebody there who is good with there hands and can teach you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks all! I've done a bit of more research and just for starters I think I may adopt the Peek a Boo stance for now.

I"ll continue to work on my jab and cross, find a good 3 hit combo and do it 10 000 time till it's engraved in me.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks all! I've done a bit of more research and just for starters I think I may adopt the Peek a Boo stance for now.

I"ll continue to work on my jab and cross, find a good 3 hit combo and do it 10 000 time till it's engraved in me.
    Peek a boo here comes my front kick right between your elbows as your leaning forwards comming in. .

MAte really think the whole thing through you are in the most diverse fighting art next to Mma.

Your chosen fight style is so controlled or uncontrolled by knowing the ins and outs of every contact range and even the spaces or gaps left in between them all are the launch pads for what comes before or after as you move in and out of diffenernt ranges for each limb.

If you develop whatever you learn into those ranges and have yourself covered or the oppositions free limbs either covered while your going through from one stage of contact to the next or you have them off balance slightly , so they can only use one side through your control of their other side etc.

If your striking in elbow range you should be blocking with elbows and knees too at that distance.Using knees for contol or elbows for control while attacking with the other knee or elbow.

Contact ranges and distances have to be understood completly from firstly steping kicks ,to the Long striaght kick range, spining kicks into powerful lifting heel kick range into round kicks into knees .arms, jabs into swings into hooks into elbows.

Grabs and elbow strikes go together hand in hand.
    But you dont see that side of the art utilized as often as it could be.

Blocking with one elbow and attack over the top of the block with the other elbow to their face in a one -two operation , covers one arm and keeps it there under the attack etc,i f you move your footwork wile you do that you can move from the inside of his arms to the outside of his arms while you do that double elbow attack,his arm is like a runway to his temple if you go from inside to outside.

Great to jam a lead knee with a well timed heel if you can time it as he swings for your leg.
    Those round kicks to the legs kill otherwise and your body and head will be leaning to far forwards if you are peek a booing over one of them too!

Peek a boo and you will be killed unless your both just fighting within agreement and only with your hands.

Peek a boo style is for a reason and is to be used only within a certain framework not to be built on as a base ; unless your the next
    Leg Iron Mike.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow ok, so I need to learn a lot! Ok back to the drawing board. I just thought that if I started with the basics such as good boxing then on to good kick striking then gradually combine them this would result in a great well rounded arsenal.

Since that I just started I feel a bit overwhelmed on what to work on first. Thank you for the input.

So can we say I should stay with the basics, work on my footwork, jab and cross and round house low kicks?

btw I don't think I'll be the next Mike Tyson

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So can we say I should stay with the basics, work on my footwork, jab and cross and round house low kicks?

I recon, but straight kicks are the fastest and get in between a tight defence if you time them well.
    Plus a kick to your lead leg and can be avoided by launching that leg straight up under his chin.

The down side is if they are actually going for your rear leg and it gets caught with all your weight on it.

But reading distances and know their and your limits within all those distances and creating your fight style to those do's and donts is what your eventually after.

Interruption of movment is big in all out fighting and is so under rated as a big part of the study. Centre point of all limbs (knees and elbows)are connected to their balance so to block there and go a touch further with a pull or push upsets their balance and so it upsets their rythem too.

Stretch alot; not in alot as in "as far as you can push it " thats not
    good for you" until the final stage after building up to it, even then you stay back at least 5% off tearing ,more.

But stretch often, before and after your training work and warm up and warm down too before and after,warm your self up with revolving joints loosen yourself up with fast actions and stop any damage occuring and it'll form your body so you can adapt to anything you have to learn.

More than anything enjoy yourself mentally all the time and you'll always stay loose flowing and adaptable to changes.

I can explain it.

Thread Information