Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calzaghe Looked Ordinary? Are You Guys Nuts?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe Looked Ordinary? Are You Guys Nuts?

I can't believe how delirious Bernard and some of you guys are. That fight wasn't even close and would have been even worse for hopkins had he not faked getting hit low and took the 5 minute break.

He was being dominated in every aspect of the game and as usual, resorted to his dirty tactics. Imagine if the ref would have done his job how the scores would have really looked. He got away with murder last night and is the biggest sore loser in boxing.

He consistently hit one or two low blows on the break, headbutted, faked like he got hit low, turned Joe around and hit him from behind and held on just to try to make it close.

If anything, it just shows how great of a fighter Joe is for not loosing his cool and still dominating him despite getting no help from the ref.

Joe Calzaghe P4P #1 fighter in the WORLD!!!
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question Re: Calzaghe Looked Ordinary? Are You Guys Nuts?

Well said ... people need to get real with the truth, and not what they wanted, truth is Joe won a messy fight, which was no fault of his own, but won it by three rounds on my card...

How Cortez could hound Hatton all the way in PBF fight, only to turn around here and let Flopkins get away with whatever he liked to try really bummed me off...

Why is Joe Calzaghe so great, because he ALWAYS finds a way to win, whatever the situation, even when the opponent is doing all they can to destroy the fight, like B.Flop did.....

Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe Looked Ordinary? Are You Guys Nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bx730NY View Post
    I can't believe how delirious Bernard and some of you guys are. That fight wasn't even close and would have been even worse for hopkins had he not faked getting hit low and took the 5 minute break.

He was being dominated in every aspect of the game and as usual, resorted to his dirty tactics. Imagine if the ref would have done his job how the scores would have really looked. He got away with murder last night and is the biggest sore loser in boxing.

He consistently hit one or two low blows on the break, headbutted, faked like he got hit low, turned Joe around and hit him from behind and held on just to try to make it close.

If anything, it just shows how great of a fighter Joe is for not loosing his cool and still dominating him despite getting no help from the ref.

I agree with everything here, except for the last line. Calzaghe clearly won the fight. No one has ever looked good against Hopkins, so just winning the fight is impressive enough.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched the fight live last night after coming back from a mates wedding.

I was completely pissed and watched it with three mates who came back with me and we all though B Hop was going to get the decision. I need to watch it sober I think today!

I really don't understand the grumbling about Joe Cortez though. Most people felt he should have let Hatton fight on the inside more against Floyd so in this fight he learned from his mistake and allowed Hopkins to fight on the inside.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I watched the fight live last night after coming back from a mates wedding.

I was completely pissed and watched it with three mates who came back with me and we all though B Hop was going to get the decision. I need to watch it sober I think today!

I really don't understand the grumbling about Joe Cortez though. Most people felt he should have let Hatton fight on the inside more against Floyd so in this fight he learned from his mistake and allowed Hopkins to fight on the inside.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Oh, Cortez learned from his mistake. Ahhhh, how humble of him Somehow I get the feeling Cortez would do exactly the same thing to Hatton again if he fought Floyd in a rematch{though Floyd would still beat his a##}
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bx730NY View Post

I agree with everything here, except for the last line. Calzaghe clearly won the fight. No one has ever looked good against Hopkins, so just winning the fight is impressive enough.
    Agreed. Hopkins just has that style that doesn't ever allow you to have a highlight reel against him.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just as Sweetpea said, I agreed with most all of it except Joe being p4p no1. A big fight against a competitive Light-Heavy champion who comes to fight would be the perfect showpiece finish for his career in my view. BCD or Tarver....he needs to go out with a vintage performance in my view, so probably not a rematch with BHop.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As in most things, I like my Sportsmen to be Heroes. Not con artists as is Hopkins, Ive often wondered what was the reason He got put in Jail. Was it Fraud or Mugging a Pensioner.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    Just as Sweetpea said, I agreed with most all of it except Joe being p4p no1. A big fight against a competitive Light-Heavy champion who comes to fight would be the perfect showpiece finish for his career in my view. BCD or Tarver....he needs to go out with a vintage performance in my view, so probably not a rematch with BHop.
    I agree.Bring on Roy Jones Jnr.Now that would be a great match.Pavlik too,but i cant see him moving up in weight!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I totally agree, Joe did a top job with what he had to work with.

I watched the fight live here in Vegas so not had chnce to watch it again sober, but I felt Joe comfortably won. Hopkins had no plan other than a two hit combo, big right over the top followed by head butt.

Joe had no way of looking good against Hopkins, he did as good as we possibly could have expected.
    "He was convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard"

- Mike Tyson Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

to be honest he did, hopkins does that to fighters, hopkins also made joe's workrate drop and his punches ineffective while hitting joe with good leads.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think we're being a bit unfair to Hopkins.
    He employed dirty tactics, poor sportsmanship and questionable strategy, but in doing so he made the most out of an aged 43 year old body and gave Joe a terrific struggle and a scrappy fight.

The fight was not a case of "what Calzaghe did wrong." It was a case of what Bernard did right.
    And what Hopkins did, was drag Joe out of his comfort zonee, negate his counter punching ability and reflexes and drag him into a messy fight.
    In turn, Joe coped reasonably well with a "great effort" from Hopkins and dealt out just enugh to be awarded the fight.

It was a split decision, but the judge that awarded the fight to Hopkins scored it 114-113.
    Subtract the knockdown and thats a draw.
    Joe did well. Obviously better than Tarver and Winky.
    They are not ordinary fighters and neither is Joe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    He employed dirty tactics, poor sportsmanship and questionable strategy, but in doing so he made the most out of an aged 43 year old body and gave Joe a terrific struggle and a scrappy fight.

The fight was not a case of "what Calzaghe did wrong." It was a case of what Bernard did right.
    And what Hopkins did, was drag Joe out of his comfort zonee, negate his counter punching ability and reflexes and drag him into a messy fight.
    In turn, Joe coped reasonably well with a "great effort" from Hopkins and dealt out just enugh to be awarded the fight.

It was a split decision, but the judge that awarded the fight to Hopkins scored it 114-113.
    Well put hitmandonny. It was always going to be a close fight. I thought Hopkins was going to get the win before the fight being in the US and all but Joe did enough to win. No-one dominated and no-one got beat up, but both guys did well. I participated in the rbr and went over what I'd observed and i had Joe just ahead, I thought I was being relatively unbiased.

People must remember that Hopkins makes guys look, well not ordinary, but like donny said takes guys out of their comfort zone and tries to push the fight into his plan. He almost did it but just fell a little short, but both guys did well. I was very happy for the win for Joe as it's nice for the titles to spread around the world and not just be with US fighters. It is a big effort to go to the states and beat a legend, and a big effort to fight and undefeated champ when you are 43 years old at the highest level.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    As in most things, I like my Sportsmen to be Heroes. Not con artists as is Hopkins, Ive often wondered what was the reason He got put in Jail. Was it Fraud or Mugging a Pensioner.
    How did you score it Scrap? Be interested to have your card

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bikersk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post

Well put hitmandonny. It was always going to be a close fight. I thought Hopkins was going to get the win before the fight being in the US and all but Joe did enough to win. No-one dominated and no-one got beat up, but both guys did well. I participated in the rbr and went over what I'd observed and i had Joe just ahead, I thought I was being relatively unbiased.

People must remember that Hopkins makes guys look, well not ordinary, but like donny said takes guys out of their comfort zone and tries to push the fight into his plan. He almost did it but just fell a little short, but both guys did well. I was very happy for the win for Joe as it's nice for the titles to spread around the world and not just be with US fighters. It is a big effort to go to the states and beat a legend, and a big effort to fight and undefeated champ when you are 43 years old at the highest level.
    I feel the judges may not have liked the aftertaste of Hopkins' dirty tactics. Because of this they favoured the more active productive boxer.

In that sense it was a triumph for boxing.

As for the referee.

Thread Information