Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Boxing - OLD Merged threads.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: self trained

Just for argument's sake let us say that you are really strapped and can't hang the bag or the stand may be too much for your budget, find a corner that is strong in the house or garage and get some rags or old clothes and pile them underneath or on a box so that you don't ruin a perfectly good bag or the wall and stand it up so that it doesn't fall and lesson number one, jab and switch hands so that you do not exercise one more than the other. That's right jab with both hands. On day two provided you are right handed left right and then left right left. You'll be able to punch hard and accurately considering your limited circumstances. You do understand that all this is temporary until you are able to hang the bag. Remember to shadow box and skip rope as well. You don't think that the bag is a cure all do you? Every method has it's madness and do try to get into the gym for a while so you at least know what you are to do. There is no substitution for instruction. Experience will help you be inventive during training. Above all heed everyone else's advice and learn first before you hurt yourself your bones may thank you for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know where you live or what types of clubs are near you, but why don't you ask your Mom to at least visit a club to see what it going on. I live in the US and most of the places I have trained keep an eye on the participants to make sure no one gets hurt. Getting hurt is bad for their business. Good trainers will make sure you have a safe learning environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Few beginer boxing questions.

Hello.
    First is most likely the most important question since I'm new to boxing. I would like to start boxing hardcore and move into amateur boxing and maybe further if I'm good enough. I've been told I'm to old to start (which I'm not sure if I totally disagree) I am 21 (just turned 21 in April). I'm in good shape but would need to train a lot to be able to start. I work one job and don't go to school, so I am able to train 7 days a week. If I'm not to old to start, I'll begin reading these (and other) forums a lot to get the infomation needed to begin, and might repost here to ask a few questions if I cannot find them.
    Thanks for any and all help.

-Artia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by james_thomas33
    I am self traning my self as my mum wont let me join any clubs as she thinks its to dangurus

what sort of things should i do/eat

i have a pair of sparing mits and some hook and jab pads

HELP!!!!                 HELP!!!!                 HELP!!!!
    Good luck training yourself. It takes a shitload of willpower, but until you are old enough to visit a gym, self-training is a hell of a lot better than not training at all. However, if you ever wish to actually start competing in the ring, you'll need to have some experience in a boxing gym.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Few beginer boxing questions.

since u r just starting out your gonna probly want to just start with basics....join a boxing gym for inperson training...... basically learn the proper form witch is different with each teacher but i personal use a left lead since im right handed...never b square....work all the punchs....get your jab fast not powerful...get your str8 fast but strong.....fight under control never lose your mind and swing wildly...teach your body to be able to through punchs automatically without even thinking about it..... shadowbox as much as possable..... do pushups, pullups, and sit ups, use weights only to improve strength and after hold dumbells in your hands and throw punchs to increase speed... at first though dont try to go fast and hit hard just get all the punchs down perfect and always try to keep your form until u have it near perfected.....hope this helps at all if u have ne questions ill try to help seeing as i personally train everyday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Few beginer boxing questions.

Your never too old to start, whoever told you that you were too old go shoot them!
    If you have determination, discipline and desire then it doesn't matter how old you are.

Firstly, learn the basics. Every boxer - from Muhammad Ali to Mike Tyson to Roy Jones to Naseem Hamed - all learned the basics BEFORE moulding it into their own personal styles. So every boxer learns the basics first for a platform to work off, a foundation. After learning the basics, you can then use your own styles.

I was pretty immature when I was boxing because all I did really was punch the pads and punch the bag, I didn't do much else apart from punch pads and bag work because I was immature. I just worked on ragged combinations all the time and putting all my efforts into each punch, that's all I really did. I know now that this was silly.

I now know that the most important things to do are roadwork and sparring, which I didn't do enough of. You need roadwork for endurance which is crucial even in the amateurs, you need to do roadwork every day for the best effect, but also for your feet (a treadmill won't have the same effect). Try to keep a good rythm on the road, don't go ragged.

As for sparring, well this is also very, very crucial. You have to be sports specific, you can do all the bag work and pad work you like, but what improves your boxing is sparring regularly. Just remember, a bag doesn't punch back at you and neither does a bag have legs to move. At the end of the day you just have to be sports specific, would you expect a sprinter to never practice sprinting? Or would you expect a soccer player to never practice soccer? No, you wouldn't. Sparring is everything in my opinion, if you do it once a week or every other day then I don't think your keeping sharp enough, you want to spar every f***ing day! If you get hurt when sparring just carry on, do not stop. Would you stop in a boxing match if you got hurt? No. If your too lazy to get up every morning to do roadwork, then what are you going to be like when your required to get up in a boxing match while your laid out in pain?

The Kronk gym in Detroit is the most successful boxing gym ever, and Manny Steward the head of the gym always made sure that his fighters sparred every day to keep sharp. Mike Tyson in his prime used to spar every day, and he was absolutely awesome (unbeatable!), but then when he fired Kevin Rooney in 1988 he stopped sparring and looked terrible. Naseem Hamed used to spar every day before he fired Brendan Ingle in 1998, and Naz was awesome Pre-98 but awful Post-98 (because he stopped sparring). Ray Robinson is arguably the best boxer that ever lived, he sparred every day.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: how do u throw punches properly?

Do whatever it takes to get the true Bible of Boxing. It is entitled "Boxing", written in 1940, i believe, by a man named Edwin L. Haislet. It is hard to find- a book search service should work- and it may cost a bit, but no other source even comes close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tahnx ill ask my mom if i can do it without actually fighting
    but the coach would proberly not work with me much coz he would think taht im not working towards anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How should i box

Im 11 140 pounds South pawed but can go Orthodox but better southpaw got training equipment going to start doing small weights im very strong not to quick should i hit the body or face im very resiliant how should i box should i do a Rocky Marciano go nutty just hit or do a Ali tactical please help im a new boxer i watch a lot of boxing tapes i base myself on Rocky Marciano and Balboa (i know he aint real but) But im more hit them loads of times and move then hit should i change it?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How should i box

ask your trainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Im new

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and I'm new to boxing. I have one question though, I want to know how to be able to make my knuckles harder, and my punches harder and faster. Could you give me some help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was one of the longest sentences ive ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ok, you sound like your in a spot of trouble. go to a gym and try to learn boxing there rather than at home with tapes... or thats the way your message came across to me.

i dont advise you to try and box like either of the rockys. marciano was unique in that he would punch and punch and punch from bell to bell, not many people have the stamina for that kind of stuff.Not to mention that whenever baloaba got into a ring he lost hit guard and just brawled, i mean seriousely there was no indication of the training that he put in, he might have just been some guy off the street.

you say your resiliant which is good, but unless your going pro it wont do you all that much good. remember in amatuer you have 4 round maximum to do the best you can, and every punch the other guy lands is one against you
    on the score cards. my suggestion to you would be to work the footwork and the guard, learn to get away from some of those punches, thenm come back with your own.

and when you say where should i punch body or head, you punch where there is an opening, or you make your own. punching to the body tends to lower guards leaving their head open to attack. experiment with 3 punch combos in varying hights, say the basic left, right, left hook. go left to the head, the right to the body, sidestep and the left hook on the point of the chin.

all the best

alex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Im new

welcome to the world of training!

best way to toughen up those knuckles is hitting the bags. get your coach to show you the technique and hit that heavy nag. dont go crazy on it, use proper combinations, with power, but dont go over the top. your guard should be up all the time when your throwing punches.

pressups etc will increase not only your conditioning, but your power aswell, so drop down and give me 20 maggot!

as for speed, im not too sure myself. i use a speedball (although they are weird) and shadow boxing, the mother of all excersizes. get infront of the mirror and throw controlled but fast punches.
    thro real combos and keep that guard up. move around as you throw, duck, parry and punch for timed rounds. look in the mirror to see if your telegraphing your munches, and make sure your guard is up.

good luck

alex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Im new

Ok cool thank you

Thread Information