Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Boxing - OLD Merged threads.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Starting Boxing - OLD Merged threads.

I nearly fall almost everytime, all it takes is a jab while i'm off balance like that and I'm on the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:How can you not lose balance if you do a jab, right, hook or uppercut combo?!

are you flat on your feet are you stepping to the side or back or not at all

i would have to see the mechanics of your approach

what i can say is stay on your TOES... flat feet can leave you on a flat back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:How can you not lose balance if you do a jab, right, hook or uppercut combo?!

I just asked my trainer the same question this week. He said the trick is to move gradually move forward as you go through the combination because when you're at an appropriate range to jab you're not in close enough range to execute a hook properly. So you inch forward as you go. It's tough, I'm still trying to get it down.

Roy Harmon™
    Vice, President KNOCKERS™
    Your breasts are in good hands™
    [urlhttp://www.royharmon.com/][/url]

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

slow the combo down and don't over commit. (just yet )

As you get more comfortable speed it up also remember that when you go to try this combination you can choose with punch carries most weight behind it.
    What I mean is this. Shadow box the combo. Now on the bag. Keep all the punches fast but light, now all heavy.
    Hard jab, light right , light hook etc.
    Light jab Hard right, light hook etc
    Light jab, light right Hard Hook etc.

You can choose which punch to bomb with.

You've probably seen the pro's load up with a punch that misses and they spin round - probably take your head off if it landed but overcommited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Generally, is only one of the punches Hard while the other two are light? Could one be light and two hard...?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sure you can but the idea is to get control of your body.
    You could working a set combo on the pads and have your trainer call out light or hard shots.
    We used to go from 1 to 10 with the jab increasing the power. Your pad man calls 5 you hit with that strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this may be hard to conceptualize but try to feel your momentum and learn to control it an flow with it... feel where your at, you want to learn what you can throw at different places... punching at different speeds and intnsities will change your combo... so the same combo can be thrown with different intentions...

good advise from all

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it makes a change to post something sensible one in a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teach the feet to move and the hands will follow

foot work is more important than the punch

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spinks would say so

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by steady_E

Teach the feet to move and the hands will follow

foot work is more important than the punch

Yeah ,Im with that.

Practice around your swinging bag;
    (Put your bag on a long rope and tie it on something high up so it has more movement ).
    Side stepping ,back stepping ,forward stepping, turning to suit where you want to be etc,but always making your rear foot adjust to the new position for comfort once you are there for balance/mobility and power;

Try catching the bag as it swings on the way out as you take chase and your feet back you up for power on your second and third hits.

You can shuffle forwards with the front foot going heel to toe with the back one sliding into position as you sit on a punch combo for more finishing power but its a stilted move that has you set into a certain timing and you have to get back onto your toes to get out of there if things swing the other way! (Good practice to combine the both but think it through first so you know when and why you do it).
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

FOOT WORK IS ESSENTAIL

BRUCE LEE USED TO WATCH ALI TO LEARN FROM HIS FOOT WORK HE ADMIRED IT SO MUCH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

too many people think of where there hands are going, rather than there feet, in this sport.

You know what the most important part of a punch is?

It's what you do before and after, the punch.

If you're off balance, or slow on your feet, then you don't stand much chance.

Brendan Ingle (Naz's trainer) makes all his new fighters, get there footwork right, before he'll even let them hit a bag once!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone has good points here to follow up.

It may be a simple case of your not bending at the knees enough or your over extending with out your feet coming back under you to position ; as the boys here say you may be concetrating on the arm and hook only.

The lower you get the more power you maintain into some hooks,the more stable you are also,but you are not going to get out of there fast. you have weigh up each situation and practice practice practice.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default how do u throw punches properly?

how do u throw

jab?

hook?

roundhouse?

is there any difference between a hook and a roundhouse?

Thread Information