Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It never stops being shocking to me...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default It never stops being shocking to me...

I was too young to have ever really watched the fight when it happened, but I remember being a little kid, maybe 5-7 years old, and being shocked at how Douglas thoroughly dominated Tyson ( my uncle was a big boxing fan and taped tons of fights over the years, so I was lucky to watch some of the best fights in their original format whenever I wanted ). To this day, every time I watch the fight, it still gives me chills watching a man who at the time was the self-proclaimed " baddest man on the planet " hit the mat at the hands of a 40+ to 1 underdog ( I've heard different figures on the actual odds ).

I reckon most of you were old enough to see it happen live, and all I can ask is, what was it like watching that fight play out? Was it as shocking as everyone says, or did it just seem like it because of the aura Tyson had at the time?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: It never stops being shocking to me...

It was absolutely unbelievable. Douglas gets credit from me, he was the absolute best he had ever been (or ever would be in the future) the planets seemed aligned, the odd of him winning by any means paid out more than tyson winning in the first round. The was just an air about everything, everyone was thinking the same thing as the fight progressed, something that had never really been considered before "Tyson is gonna lose" It really was an amazing thing, from my personal experience it was the biggest upset to ever happen in boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was insane. It was the first fight I ever watch, and everyone in my house was initially rooting for Douglas just to survive the first round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by aburwell89 View Post
    I was too young to have ever really watched the fight when it happened, but I remember being a little kid, maybe 5-7 years old, and being shocked at how Douglas thoroughly dominated Tyson ( my uncle was a big boxing fan and taped tons of fights over the years, so I was lucky to watch some of the best fights in their original format whenever I wanted ). To this day, every time I watch the fight, it still gives me chills watching a man who at the time was the self-proclaimed " baddest man on the planet " hit the mat at the hands of a 40+ to 1 underdog ( I've heard different figures on the actual odds ).

I reckon most of you were old enough to see it happen live, and all I can ask is, what was it like watching that fight play out? Was it as shocking as everyone says, or did it just seem like it because of the aura Tyson had at the time?
    I was a teen ager. Huge Tyson fan. I was completely shocked, but noticed that Tyson didn't come out the way he usually did. He looked different at the introductions and seemed a little off.

Anyways, I was thinking he was gonna lose a few rounds into it, and nobody believed me. Then he landed that uppercut and everybody was like see..... Then he gets ko'd and I was torn between saying see..... and my favorite fighter getting ktfo.....

I even stopped playing Mike Tyson's Punchout for a while to mourn this loss.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my mind Tyson began his downward spiral just before the first bell.

After the bell rang he wasn't as good offensively nor was he any good defensively.

ICB Guest

I have to admit i do enjoy this fight because i never did like Tyson. By the way i never see this fight live because i wasn't even 1 years old at the time of this fight.
    Last edited by ICB; 05-15-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched the fight live and Douglas put on a masterclass , but i still rate it as the biggest upset in history , and i think the odds proved that .

I mean you had a guy who had been KOED before , with suspect stamina , fighting and unbeaten KO puncher in his prime , it was just amazing the outcome , but thats boxing i guess
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hadnt douglas`s mum died not a few days before??

Im also sure he wasnt the mandatory challenger and was merely sent over to asia to make up the numbers before tyson was to fight holyfield??

A true david and golliath giant killing that deserves to go down as one of the greatest upsets not only in boxing but in any sport!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was at the skating rink...didn't even watch.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was 6 years old but I always remember the name "Buster" I always laughed when people would say that. I know my older brother was heart broken to watch this fight he still believe's Tyson had Buster down for more than 10 seconds,then again he still thinks he could become heavyweight champ. SAD isn't it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember that was when Sky took Tyson's fight from ITV and very few people had satellites. I got up next morning thinking to myself what if Tyson lost? When I heard it I was annoyed and shocked. Watching it later Tyson looked awful and Douglas looked inspired. The worst think was the judges had Tyson winning or even close. That was a joke but worse the WBC were thinking of not recognising the win which was just plain robbery!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nine at the time, went to my uncles to watch it, everyone was shocked. My dad laughed about it. Tyson was my favorite so it sucked. Douglas was shining that night, it does happen. The KO was good though, and Tyson fumbling for that mouthpiece was great.
    Last edited by WEILAND; 05-15-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    I was 6 years old but I always remember the name "Buster" I always laughed when people would say that. I know my older brother was heart broken to watch this fight he still believe's Tyson had Buster down for more than 10 seconds,then again he still thinks he could become heavyweight champ. SAD isn't it.
    What's wrong with dreaming? Unless he's like 50 years old and can't fight to save his life, I don't see why that's so ridiculous. At the very least it could keep him going, right?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wrong.

He is shot, retired and will never fight again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was a mere lad of 39. As much as I liked Tyson I always like when the underdog comes out victorious. Probably the biggest sports upset I've ever been a witness to.

Thread Information