Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mayweather's Retirement

I haven't checked the new threads to see if anyone has been talking about this yet. I just came back from vacation and I happened to check ESPN and somehow I never knew Floyd retired until yesterday!

I have been the person that kept going back and forth on whether or not Mayweather is ducking Cotto or if he's just a great hype machine. With this retirement announcement, I AM COMPLETELY CONVINCED THAT FLOYD IS DOING THIS FOR DRAMA. Can anyone remember Leonard vs Hagler?!?! It's the same thing, except Floyd is planning it.

Imagine this, Cotto beats Margarito, then De La Hoya chooses Cotto as his "Farewell Fight." Cotto proceeds to send De La Hoya into retirement, in a stretcher. No one else left to challenge Cotto, Mayweather throws out a public announcement, "Since Cotto has no one left to fight, I'm coming out of retirement to fight him." Now the fight has so many elements to it: The two best in the division, long time coming, the current best vs the best prior to his retirement, boxer vs puncher, the conquerors of De La Hoya, to name a few. If Cotto loses to Margarito, then it will be a bit of a curveball.

Floyd is a genius...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather's Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by caleoh12 View Post
    I haven't checked the new threads to see if anyone has been talking about this yet. I just came back from vacation and I happened to check ESPN and somehow I never knew Floyd retired until yesterday!

I have been the person that kept going back and forth on whether or not Mayweather is ducking Cotto or if he's just a great hype machine. With this retirement announcement, I AM COMPLETELY CONVINCED THAT FLOYD IS DOING THIS FOR DRAMA. Can anyone remember Leonard vs Hagler?!?! It's the same thing, except Floyd is planning it.

Imagine this, Cotto beats Margarito, then De La Hoya chooses Cotto as his "Farewell Fight." Cotto proceeds to send De La Hoya into retirement, in a stretcher. No one else left to challenge Cotto, Mayweather throws out a public announcement, "Since Cotto has no one left to fight, I'm coming out of retirement to fight him." Now the fight has so many elements to it: The two best in the division, long time coming, the current best vs the best prior to his retirement, boxer vs puncher, the conquerors of De La Hoya, to name a few. If Cotto loses to Margarito, then it will be a bit of a curveball.

Floyd is a genius...
    Thats how I see it happening.

Also smart on Mayweather's part.

Because then Cotto would have went through 2 tough fights while Mayweather is getting rest :P Yes Mayweather IS a genius. If Margarito beats him then yeah that could ruin it, then Floyd may as well stay retired.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

SigmaMu Guest

Never compare what happend to Sugar Ray Leonard with what is happening today.

Leonard suffered a detached retina and should have stayed retired. It was a perfectly good excuse and not some bullshit excuse like Floyd Mayweather Jr's.

Hagler was older than Sugar.

Cotto is younger than Floyd.

Why would this blow up in PBF's face if Tony wins?

Tony was the most feared man in boxing. Tony is the real reason Floyd went into his first retirement. Margarito, right now he has everything going for him again. He bounces back faster than a rubber ball.

Williams is back in the mix too.

If Cotto loses to Margarito, it means nothing except to the active Welters. Cotto will bounce back too if he does happen to lose.

Floyd punked out and mister money turned down big money. He is scared and he wants to distance himself as soon as possible from being mentioned as an opponent to Tony, Cotto or Williams now.

He made the right move, the safe move and the most chicken shit move I have ever seen.

Floyd went into protective custody as we say here in the hood.

Floyd is on PC status

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    Never compare what happend to Sugar Ray Leonard with what is happening today.

Leonard suffered a detached retina and should have stayed retired. It was a perfectly good excuse and not some bullshit excuse like Floyd Mayweather Jr's.

Hagler was older than Sugar.

Cotto is younger than Floyd.

Why would this blow up in PBF's face if Tony wins?

Tony was the most feared man in boxing. Tony is the real reason Floyd went into his first retirement. Margarito, right now he has everything going for him again. He bounces back faster than a rubber ball.

Williams is back in the mix too.

If Cotto loses to Margarito, it means nothing except to the active Welters. Cotto will bounce back too if he does happen to lose.

Floyd punked out and mister money turned down big money. He is scared and he wants to distance himself as soon as possible from being mentioned as an opponent to Tony, Cotto or Williams now.

He made the right move, the safe move and the most chicken shit move I have ever seen.

Floyd went into protective custody as we say here in the hood.

Floyd is on PC status
    I can't rep u yet but I owe you some for this
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I swear, I am just back in from a walk, open up this thread and reading the usual PBF hatin and all...and I look to my right to the muted tv, and who do I see staring me in the face...the man hisself...in his driveway with the rolls and so on on MTV cribs. haha meh.

What timing. Maybe I hate him a little cuz of all the money, skill and arrogance, but I think largely it is because the guy quite simply is a DOUCHEPICKLE. lool Gaawd he was funny, throwing money at the camera and stuff...

That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

absolutely gutted mayweather has retired! Was looking forward to seeing him fight ODLH again and then Cotto! All i can say is....thank you Floyd for the great years you have given us however i wouldnt expect to see yourself anywhere near the top of the all time ranks which you so dearly crave to be at!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

smart move let De La Hoya fight the winner of Cotto v Margo 1st. Then unretire to meet the winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it is a good move for Mayweathe to retire....or at very least take a long break. He said in the last 24/7 that his body was breaking down. Money is useless if you have no body to enjoy it in.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was funny on yahoo sports the used photos from his previous retirement for the story.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see how Floyd is a genius considering not a single person on earth believes he's truely retiring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I don't see how Floyd is a genius considering not a single person on earth believes he's truely retiring
    Exactly.

heheheh Well put.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Yeah... It's a bit rediculous... We all know he'll be back in the mix in like 6 months. Its a ploy
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even though we all KNOW it's a scam, the media will EAT IT ALIVE!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather is a biatch, He is just another Jones Jr. I had a lot of respect for that mentally challenged chump and he goes and does this...
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Thread Information