Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ono's guide to building muscle - Biceps

Alright after trawling through the trainer board i've seen enough bodybuilding themed questions to create a thread containing the only exercises you'll ever need to maximize muscle growth.

First up is everybody's favourite - Biceps

I don't think i need to go into the appeal of having bulging biceps. The appeal is obvious. Instead i'm going to go into the main problems people come across when training their biceps. From my experience, when a guy's training his biceps, the first thing he goes for is the barbell curl or EZ bar curl. The problem with this exercise is, for a lot of people, the standard curl doesn't really directly effect the bicep. Anatomical make-up plays a big part in this, but for a lot of people the brachialis takes over (which runs underneath the outer part of the bicep). The brachialis is the muscle which is repsonsible for drawing the hand toward the shoulder. Obviously as the resistance is increased, the muscle fibers of the bicep come into play...which is where increased bicep size should stem from. Unfortunately, for most people the brachialis takes most of the stress which means that bicep function is actually limited.

The simple solution would be 'add more weight' which in turn should increase the biceps function in the exercise. Unfortunately lifting very heavy weights with a bar often results in extremely sore forearms. Again this is down to the efficiency of the brachialis. The fact that the brachialis takes the majority of the strain unfortunately results in limited bicep stimulation.

Solution: eliminate the brachialis as much as possible

The best way to prevent the brachialis from taking the strain would be to perform a curl while leaning backwards. Obviously due to gravity wanting to sit you down on your ass the only way this would be possible would be to use a bench.

The exercise

Lie back on a bench that's set at an angle of 45 degrees or lower. Dangle your arms(using dumbells, palm facing forwards) down behind your body and curl upwards. Maintain the forearm position throughout the flexion/extension. Keep the elbow still and behind the body and curl the weight all the way up, then slowly lower it to the starting position. Thsi position puts your arms in their weakest position.

Dumbbell Incline Curl

The above link shows you how to perform this exercise. I prefer to have my palms facing forwards. The link shows the exercise with palms facing inwards. Either way the bicep is the main contributor....rather than the brachialis.
    Last edited by ono; 06-12-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ono's guide to building muscle - Biceps

Biceps: Exercise number 2

In exercise number 1 i spoke about the importance of fully utlizing the bicep, rather than the brachialis. Well now i'm going to run the risk of sounding hypocritical by asking you to encorporate an exercise which primarily targets this muscle.

Home

Now that you have fully stimulated the bicep muscle with the previous exercise, it's time to move on and directly train brachialis. The role the brachialis plays in a set of well defined biceps is as follows...

Basically this exercise is the same as the first. The only difference being the positioning of the dumbells. On the incline bench let the dumbells dangle down behind your body but this time turn your palms inwards. Now curl upwards but only go as far as being parallel to the floor. Hold for 1 second and slowly bring them back down. That is the only variance between the first 2 exercises.

A very well developed brachialis muscle actually pushes the bicep muscle upwards thus creating a higher bicep peak. This in term creates an illusion of a bigger bicep. However, without properly stimulating the fibers of the bicep, the brachialis won't really have much to push up.

Again, like i said before the standard curl puts a lot of emphasis on the brachialis, however your body's position during this exercise allows for your arms to be in their weakest position.
    Last edited by ono; 06-12-2008 at 06:12 PM.

ICB Guest

Not trying to hijack your thread mate but i just wanted to quickly say, for me i've seen the best results doing chin ups and weighted chin ups, there much better than any weights IMO and you see faster results, at least in my case i did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yep, chin ups are the unsung hero in bicep building.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Biceps

Exercise 3: (you need a cable for this)

Anybody on here find that their biceps don't ever ache the next day? Your chest and shoulders do, your back does, your triceps do, yet your biceps seem fine....

Your going to like this one

Set the cables on each end of the station in their lowest position.

Grab a handle with each arm and step forwards so your arms are extended behind you

Keeping your elbows as close to your side as possible, curl the weight up. Don't let your elbows be drawn up during the lift as this will take the strain away from your biceps and place it onto your delts and pecs.

It's also important to keep your fists straight and avoid curling them towards you.

At the top of the movement, squeeze your bicep as hard as possible. Hold for 1-2 second(s) before slowly bringing it back down.

This move perfectly isolates the biceps. Good form is very very important. Don't let your ego dictate how much weight you can lift because any cheating will take the strain away from the bicep.

Cable Curl - eBicep.com

Use the above for reference.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    Incorrect

Chin ups primarily incorporate your lats. I think you mean pull ups.

Biceps are involved when performing pull-ups (not chin ups)

To build muscle, you have to recruit as many muscle fibres as possible (into the exercise). While pull ups and chin ups are excellent compound movements they do not completely isolate the biceps anywhere near as effectively as the 3 mentioned exercises.

You will see bicep development from pull-ups (especially if you're relatively new to weight training) but you will unlock some serious growth from using the 3 isolation exercises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Incorrect

To build muscle, you have to recruit as many muscle fibres as possible (into the exercise). While pull ups and chin ups are excellent compound movements they do not completely isolate the biceps anywhere near as effectively as the 3 mentioned exercises.

You will see bicep development from pull-ups (especially if you're relatively new to weight training) but you will unlock some serious growth from using the 3 isolation exercises.
    Chin ups are over hand grip right? Ono if you could make a guide to developing and building muscles back muscles, i'd show you much gratitude and give ya some rep LOL. As biceps are the one muscle group i dont even think to work out.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    Incorrect

Chin ups are over hand grip right? Ono if you could make a guide to developing and building muscles back muscles, i'd show you much gratitude and give ya some rep LOL. As biceps are the one muscle group i dont even think to work out.
    Yeah over-hand.

I'll be doing back shortly. Probably tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No correct. I mean chin ups. palm in.

Biceps Exercises - Chin Ups

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No correct. I mean chin ups. palm in.

Biceps Exercises - Chin Ups
    The guy in the video is performing a pull up, not a chin up. Regardless of what the title says.

Chin-up - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

specifically "Chin-ups are often incorrectly referred to as pull-ups. The term pull-up is traditionally used when the exercise is performed with a pronated grip"

pronation /pro·na·tion/ (-na´shun) the act of assuming the prone position, or the state of being prone. Applied to the hand, the act of turning the palm backward (posteriorly) or downward, performed by medial rotation of the forearm. Applied to the foot, a combination of eversion and abduction movements taking place in the tarsal and metatarsal joints and resulting in lowering of the medial margin of the foot, hence of the longitudinal arch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

who really gives a a fuck. palm in whatever the fuck you want to call them builds biceps. palm out builds back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and what does bicep aesthetics have to do with boxing? oh yeah. Nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    Incorrect

Yeah over-hand.

I'll be doing back shortly. Probably tomorrow.
    sweet.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The lat pull downs using my home gym lat bar have made a big diff. in power in a short time, southpaw, strengthening the back. If you take a look thru my log page one is the workout I do, and page 2 the home gym.

Currently looking to change it up and will shortly to work other areas, and most info. I have received regarding biceps is that it is largely a useless workout for punching power. Mostly just to look nice. I already look nice

I want to hit harder and faster.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Von put the rattle back in the pram please...

Don't rise to him please ono?...

Back to the thread

Thread Information