Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe says Jones his last fight

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Disappointing but we have to look at a few things here, 1 Calzaghe has been tight at Super Middleweight for years he has to drain himself quite severely to make the weight which is a fact. I think he is very comfortable weight wise at Light Heavyweight and at his age now it would be a bad idea to drain yourself against such a dangerous young champion like Pavlik. But saying that i think they could easily do this fight at catch weight no problem.

Calzaghe is doing the smart option and going for the big pay day over a former legend to close out his career. But lets get one thing straight here people are making out like Jones vs Calzaghe is just a fore gone conclusion when it isn't. Jones may be old but he is still x2 faster than anyone Calzaghe has ever faced, and Calzaghe has never faced anyone remotely close to Jones. So don't underestimate Jones he could very easily pull of the upset, and people are forgetting Calzaghe is also past his peak he isn't no spring chicken either, in fact i noticed in Hopkins fight his jab and combo's wern't has fast or snappy, and he did look like a fighter on his way out to me IMO, so don't think Jones vs Calzaghe will be a fore gone conclusion folks.

Best post so far.. Cant add nothing more if I tried 100% accurate..

Everyone knows I am a Calzaghe fan after Kessler and have accepted his accompolishments as extrodinary, but with that I believe in my heart of hearts Jones wins this in front of a record crowd in England(If they already havent announced the fight and the venue)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs down Re: Calzaghe says Jones his last fight

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonny78 View Post
    I find people going on about Joe ducking fights ridiculous.

He has had a pretty safe carrer and only stepped it up at the end Warren could be blamed here as well

Joe is at the end of his career in his recent fights he has taken on the fights people wanted to see, how long can you keep taking on the new hottest contender, he has made no secret that he want to retire soon and in his last few fights he has taken on the dangerous young fighters (lacy and Kessler) and taken out the old guard. (Hopkins and hopefully Roy Jones) not a bad end to a career, but oh no there is a new young gun on the horizon two weight divisions lower who if he doesn't fight he is a "chicken shit turd" who's not worth shit!!

My point is at the end of a fighters career who has has fought as well as Joe has, he has taken risks and achieved more than most, I don't mind if he finishs off that career with a big fight that he wants he shouldnt have to take on every young gun on the scene till he gets beat, he has earned it and has to retire some time

Idiots will always jump on a new bandwagon and say such and such a fighter is washed up because it makes them look more like a hardcore boxing fan but in truth Joe will go down as great British figher and shouldn't be accused of ducking anyone
    i totally understand where you're coming from.. but i'd like to hear your views on PBF haha.. and see if you say the same things about him.. and if you do, then i'd consider your opinion on calzaghe non-biased..

do you think mayweather needs to continue taking on the up and comers (cotto, paul williams, etc..)? He has more meaningful names on his resume then Joe could ever DREAM of, yet he still gets flak for not fighting Cotto (i'm not saying that he shouldn't fight him, just stating what goes on).. So do you think that he needs to continue fighting the new hot prospect, or has he accomplished enough in the sport where he could just retire and not be criticized doing so.. keep in mind that Floyd is not 25, he's 31 or 32, so i don't think the age card is available here..
    Mayweather is purely a prima donna not a real champion
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Disappointing but we have to look at a few things here, 1 Calzaghe has been tight at Super Middleweight for years he has to drain himself quite severely to make the weight which is a fact. I think he is very comfortable weight wise at Light Heavyweight and at his age now it would be a bad idea to drain yourself against such a dangerous young champion like Pavlik. But saying that i think they could easily do this fight at catch weight no problem.

Calzaghe is doing the smart option and going for the big pay day over a former legend to close out his career. But lets get one thing straight here people are making out like Jones vs Calzaghe is just a fore gone conclusion when it isn't. Jones may be old but he is still x2 faster than anyone Calzaghe has ever faced, and Calzaghe has never faced anyone remotely close to Jones. So don't underestimate Jones he could very easily pull of the upset, and people are forgetting Calzaghe is also past his peak he isn't no spring chicken either, in fact i noticed in Hopkins fight his jab and combo's wern't has fast or snappy, and he did look like a fighter on his way out to me IMO, so don't think Jones vs Calzaghe will be a fore gone conclusion folks.
    Calzaghe has been claiming problems with making weight since 2005 when he signed to face Glen Johnson and than punked out. He still continue to fight at 168. He can make the weight. Pavlik-Calzaghe is a better fight than Jones-Calzaghe. Calzaghe needs to fight Pavlik.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's a good point. I know Hopkins traditionally makes people look bad, but after seeing Calzaghe look a bit old and worn struggling against B-Hop I'm not convinced he could beat Jones. I'd say in my mind its about 60/40 in favor of Calzaghe, but it's by no means a sure thing

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see Roy as having much of a chance honestly. He's still fast but his legs are shot, that is why he spends so much time on the ropes especially against guys who really pressure him which Joe will do. I see Jones laying on the ropes, covering up and Calzaghe flurrying, maybe not landing a whole lot of meaningful shots but winning at least 8 rounds or so. Hopkins makes everyone look bad, I don't see the same thing with this version of Roy. I have obviously been wrong before. I guess we will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know Bhop is Bhop, but Calzaghe looked downright sloppy at times in that fight and it wasn't always Hopkins making him look that way.

Jones won't be intimidated the least by Calzaghe's power..he know nothing in Calzaghe's arsenal can hurt him.

Even though a 43 year old hopkins is probably "fresher" than a 39 RJJ; RJJ is more active. If Jones plays the counter puncher and maintains enough activity (no doubt this is going 12) he has got a good shot at the UD.

Similar to the bhop fight except Jones will be more active. I put this fight at a straight split on who wins. Same story of output vs. effectiveness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones right cross is gonna play a big part, I see Jones landing that punch with regularity with 1,2's.. Then you will see him incorporate bodywork to slow Calzaghe down then he will get more confidence mid rounds by mixing up an array of punches, come the 10th when he has the fight in the bag he will let his foot off the gas potshotting and cruise to a desicion.

I think Roy will counter fine off the ropes, and dont see Joe's power really troubling Roy, on the contrary I see Roy's power and speed troubling Calzaghe. Calzaghe has fast hands but not 100% conviction behing them.. Roy throws fast and still has some business on them.. I think Roys power+crispness on his punches will be enough to make the difference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish Jones could turn back the clock for one night only and whip Calzaghe's butt teach him a boxing lesson the way he would have had they fought when Jones was at his P4P best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im confused!I read in todays national paper,that Calzaghes promoter"Frank Warren"has mentioned that the AWESOME mouth watering fight with Pavlik "IS" going to happen for sure!!!Right from the horses mouth!!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    Im confused!I read in todays national paper,that Calzaghes promoter"Frank Warren"has mentioned that the AWESOME mouth watering fight with Pavlik "IS" going to happen for sure!!!Right from the horses mouth!!!
    link? scan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    Im confused!I read in todays national paper,that Calzaghes promoter"Frank Warren"has mentioned that the AWESOME mouth watering fight with Pavlik "IS" going to happen for sure!!!Right from the horses ASS!!!

Fixed it for you lest there be confusion
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Please Roy knock this arrogant twat out. I'm quickly starting to hate Joe again since his impressive victory against Kessler. He blows his horn too much when he's fought 2-3 people ever. Roy to bring the magic back and win over 12 rounds or if there's any justice in the world to K.O JC and give him a reality check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

they say every great fighter has one great performance left ! Last chance saloon for Roy... He can do it
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blah.....boxers always say they're about to retire. I rarely ever believe them.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post

Best post so far.. Cant add nothing more if I tried 100% accurate..

Everyone knows I am a Calzaghe fan after Kessler and have accepted his accompolishments as extrodinary, but with that I believe in my heart of hearts Jones wins this in front of a record crowd in England(If they already havent announced the fight and the venue)
    I really wouldn't be surprised if Jones beat Calzaghe.

Thread Information