Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuriorkis Gamboa........ Is he for real?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Yuriorkis Gamboa........ Is he for real?

When I ask if he's for real, I'm asking is he FOR REAL. I've seen a little bit of him and the guy looked like he was ready for a world title shot after like 9-10 fights. Yes, I saw him get dropped in his last fight, but I remember another guy that was prone to a knockdown, or two........ yet would always get up to dominate the guy that put him down (with very few exceptions) He went on to have a pretty solid career. His name was Felix Trinidad.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that they are very similar fighters. As Gamboa continues to raise his level of competition he will continue to get knocked down, but it won't matter because it seems to me that if you knockdown a guy like gamboa, it gets him ready for a fight, ala Trinidad.

IMHO............... After knowing about the guy's incredible amature career, not to mention his Gold Medal, plus what I've seen from him in VERY few pro fights.........................this guy is world class, and a future all-time great.

Bet the house on it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Yuriorkis Gamboa........ Is he for real?

Judging from his HBO debut fight. Hell no, he's not for real.

He makes silly mistakes by keeping his guards low, not enough head movements and lateral footwork.

He's chin is questionable too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post

He makes silly mistakes by keeping his guards low, not enough head movements and lateral footwork.

Well...these were the bad things about him...
    Having good power,great athleticism and blazing speed are the good things about him...I think 1 or 2 more years and this guy could have it all...

Hidden Content

Arturo "THUNDER" Gatti 1972-2009

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He uses plenty of lateral movement, he just needs to stop throwing combinations without keeping his hands up, and stop moving backwards without keeping his hands up.

He is definitely for real IMO, he is way too fast, strong, and skilled not to be. Also his two knockdowns he wasn't hurt, just off balance, and yes he was stunned in the seventh I believe against Jimenez, but he two or three flush shots in a row, and he still came right back at Jimenez. If he actually gets a pro coach who will guide him along properly nobody will be able to beat him. He is by far the fastest guy in boxing, and has all the tools when he uses them. I think he has just been underestimating his opponents.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post

Saw his last fight, he showed lateral footwork plenty enough, but it was useless. It was just dancing. When it came time to engage his opponent and actually throw some punches, footwork disappeared.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The talent and skills are there. But he has some bad habits that could lead to his downfall. And I don't think he can change them.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nope at least not now he's not for real.
    And as I posted in another thread he will have a loss by this time 2009.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Nope at least not now he's not for real.
    And as I posted in another thread he will have a loss by this time 2009.

Care to make a wager on that, Mick?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I share the sentiments of most guys, he has the talent, but seems overeager to impress and muddles his own work leaving himself open. He doesn't seem to have a plan B, or any strategy whatsoever. With the right guidance the sky is the limit for a guy of this talent IMO, but I also think he's fighting above his natural weight, and while he has a good KO% he has to nail the guys a lot to get them out of there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Needs to get with right people around him, he may have already done that, but this guy is just to raw still to consider him for REAL. Love the excitement he brings to a fight. A cocky confidence that if not bottled and trained to be used properly could be his downfall. I wish him luck though and look forward to see where this highly touted PROSPECT takes his career.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think his main problem is, too many people telling him he's better than he is.....all the tools are there, and for about 8 seconds of his last fight when he got caught a little bit and took things serious he looked awesome, then he got comfortable and back to all the cocky silliness. I think it will take his first loss before we see how good he really is...
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nope he is not real, not anymore real than Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny or the value of the American Dollar.

Seriously though, he is right now just a good prospect there are tons of defensive mistakes that he makes still and he fights incredibly arrogantly (which could be seriously taken advantage of by a good counter puncher)
    His offense is however pretty incredible and nothing short of what you would expect from a gold medalist. I think he has POTENTIAL to really make a huge impact in the sport IF he improves, if he just wins on his talent that he already has and doesn't progress, he may very well be in for a very frustrating pro career at higher levels.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People are thinking one loss is the end of the world, but I think one loss would do this guy a world of good. I want to see him take to big of a step and get beat, but not badly beaten up.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Gamboa can win a championship.He has natural ability Handspeed & before its time ring guile.I think He had a case of too much...too soon in bright spot light of Main event,Not In the Opponent but the exposure (no pun intended)....of the big time.He demonstrated alot of Immaturity and a case of reading his own press clippings.He got exactly what he needs from a rough fight and after math to help him change his aloof mindset and get back to the skills & focus.Imo.Hope he heeds it.He needs to get in an off the air fight,a couple of them and his Camp also needs to squash the political infighting......A young fighter does not need to be caught up in that on top of Learning fight by fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's too arrogant, I mean a fighter has to be supremely self-confident but that dude just seems like he has disdain for his opponents ability to win. Which causes him to make stupid mistakes. Maybe he will become a bit smarter as he moves up the ladder. Cause he is extraordinarily fast, strong enough although is power's overrated by some, and he does have skills when he chooses to use them.

Thread Information