Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default how to Throwing a proper leading left hook

Alright i want to know how to throw a proper left hook. Every time i throw one it feels like im doing it wrong and its like i dont have any power or weight into it.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: how to Throwing a proper leading left hook

I don't understand what you mean b "leading", but I've seen the term associated with RJJ so I assume its that odd leap in and sock-a-lop move he does? Can't help you there other than to suggest that RJJ did most everything dead wrong and got away with it due to reflexes, speed of hand and/or foot, and very weak opposition. Try ing to 'fight' like those two has been the doom of many a boxer. See, the left hook is essentially a counter punch, thrown very compactly. Also, after a right, it returns the body to a position of balance and is a very powerful punch due to all the weight behind it. To properly execute the punch, the weight should end up on the right foot, difficult if leaping forward. There is also t6he problem of leaping into a countering right

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry- its late and I'm old and blind. Leading, leaping close! To throw a hook properly get into your regular stance. Your left foot should be on the floor foot at an angle; the right toe should point at your foe, heel up @2" or so. To hook, begin by dropping the right foot flat, leg straight, toe perpendicular to opponent. Pivot sharply inward on left toe (heel now up) This will turn your hips, then your shouilders as far right as possible. As of yet your left glove should be in its original spot, and you shouldfeel the tension in your shoulder. Let this tension whip your fist around to your right shoulder, elbow rising and fist turning so that the index and middle knuckles touch the right shoulder. The following is probably more effective as a lead punch; from your stance, move right foot @ 2" directly right and drop all weight there, leg straight. Then follow the above routine. You'll notice thwe difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

KID LET ME FIRST BEGAIN BY TELLING YOU THAT THE HOOK IS A VERY ADVANCE SKILL AND SHOULD BE LEARNED AFTER THE BASICS ARE MASTERED. THE LEAD HOOK IS A VERY DIVISTATEING STRIKE TECNIQUE, BUT IT CAN LEAVE YOU VERY EXPOSED. SO AGAINST A CRAFTY VET BE SELECTIVE WHEN USING THE LEAD HOOK!!!! ALWAYS KEEP YOUR BACK HAND HIGH AND CHIN TUCKED, BECAUSE THE PERFECT COUNTER FOR A HOOK IS A SHORTER MORE ACCURATE HOOK... THE BASE OF YOUR LEGS SHOULD BE SETTLED. GIVE A LITTLE DIP LIKE YOUR GOING TO JUMP OUT YOUR SHOES; BUT TRANSFER YOUR POWER FORWARD. LEAD ELBOW MUST BE HIGH AND AT EYE LEVEL WITH PALM DOWN. PLANT BACK LEG AND TURN LEAD LEG WITH YOUR HIPS. WHEN YOU NOTICE A GUY REACHING FOR YOUR JAB USE THIS TECNIQUE( FAINT THE JAB AND BOOM!!!). ALSO IF YOU TURN WITH GOOD POWER IT SETS UP A EVEN HARDER STRAIGHT RIGHT WHEN YOU ROTATE BACK......

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All great replies there. Alot to think about.

Once you have it down ,so balance is corrected or unaffected as the case may be .

Then you can move and hook too and bring it into play at unexpected situations which is when they are unseen/unexpected and so more devestating.

Stepping out on angles while throwing a hook for good measure as you land and turn; catches some people cold because they are following your movment.

You can use them as counters or even as a guarding inner blow that has you covered on the same side as you land it;

EG: if you were to say slip a jab to the outside ,move your feet and adjust so you close on in on him and your head slides up to around his elbow point or further in and you then turn with full hip swing and land the inner hook between his arms ,so as it lands it has his other arm covered, Surprize..

You can land a lead hook (off the lead arm) by sliding your rear heel in towards the shot.

You have to really think out 'when' you can get away with this!

One time, is hooking around a striaght shot or a jab ,the move gets your head out of distance ,but places you in a long stretched out front stance ,so be careful where and when you use it.

IT can allow you to exit fast into retreat or out distance them futher as your rear foot is facing out and away already;
    OR: To move in further from there, you have to collapes the rear leg ,duck down and twist as you turn in then shuffle further forwards low and safe.
    but you have to train for the correct time .so have a think about it hard and imagine different situations and practice 'like dance moves' alone ,then you get a mate to help and watch and feel their reactions and body positions and adjust yours accordingly .
    then introduce it into sparring, before bringing it to the ring.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information