Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sports Nutrition Bible

I've decided to use word for long messages now to prevent what happened yesterday happening again.

So the text looks different....and smaller for some reason.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How much carbohydrate should I consume after exercise?

I’ll cut to the chase here. You need around 1g carbohydrate/kg of bodyweight immediately after exercise has ended. So the average 70kg athlete would require 70g of carbohydrate straight after training.

And after that….

After intensive training your body enters a period, which lasts around 6 hours, where the rate of glycogen replenishment is increased. It has 3 stages

0-2 hours after training – replenishment is approx 150% the normal rate

2-6 hours after training – replenishment slows down but still faster than normal

6+ hours after training – replenishment is back to normal

So clearly, refilling glycogen stores (with carbohydrate) would be very beneficial during this period.

Why is glycogen replenishment faster during this period?

Firstly, eating carbohydrate stimulates insulin release, which in turn, increases the amount of glucose taken up by the muscle cells from the bloodstream, and stimulates the action of the glycogen – manufacturing enzymes. Secondly, post-exercise, the muscle cell membranes are more permeable to glucose so they can take up more glucose than normal.

So what would be the ideal carbohydrate plan for after training?

Immediately after – 1g carbs/kg of bodyweight

1-2 hours later – 50g carbs (minimum)

1-2 hours later – 50g carbs (minimum)

The above is a guideline and some trial and error may be necessary. At the end of the day we’re all different and we all have different goals. Anyway the above plan would have the average athlete consuming around 170g of carbohydrate during the 6 hour period.

Are high GI or low GI carbohydrates best for recovery?

Since high GI foods cause a rapid increase in blood sugar levels, it seems logical that high GI foods would increase glycogen replenishment, during the initial post-exercise period. A shed load of studies have backed up this fact. So science suggests that high GI would be the way to go post-workout. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as that.
    This is because after 24 hours, regardless of whether you’ve eaten low GI or high GI foods, muscle glycogen storage is about the same. So although high GI foods get you off to a fast start, low GI foods will result in the same level of recovery 24 hours after exercise. There are also performance benefits of a low GI recovery diet – it may improve your endurance the following day. So if you’re training every day, low GI may be the right way to go.

So what should I do?

The best thing to do would be to consume high GI foods during the first 2 hours after exercise. The remainder of your post-exercise recovery should be made up of /low GI foods. Once the 6 hour window has expired, you should be consuming low GI foods as normal.

So...

0-2 hours after exercise - 1g carbs/kg of bodyweight (high GI)

2-4 hours after exercise - 50g of low GI

4-6 hours after exercise - 50g of low GI

6+ hours after exercise - normal diet resumes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I think you've got the lactate shuttle a little wrong mate, the way I understood it worked was...
    1. Pyruvate (pyruvic acid) is formed when glycogen and glucose are being broken down at high rates in your muscles (called glycolysis which is the conversion of these into pyruvate). Pyruvate is then converted to Lactate (lactic acid) as it increases in the muscles.
    2. Lactate is now formed and transported away from the muscle cells into surrounding tissue and blood. This allows glycolysis to persist and thus continuing the supply of energy to our muscles.
    3. The muscle cells which the lactate is transported to can cause the lactate to be broken down to fuel (mainly ATP) or can be used to build glycogen.
    Everything Ive read says its Hydrogen,but keep in mind,those findings were only published a couple of years ago
    You are right, although the definition of an acid is that it is a H+ donator. The strength of an acid is how easily it gives up a H+ ion, the stronger they are the more ions they give up. I think what you have read may be in regards to muscle failure where there is a drop in pH? Although I have read articles which say where the lactate is distributed depends on the concentration of the H+ however can't really remember too much.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carbohydrate Loading

For those that don't know, carbohydrate loading is a technique devised in the 1960's to increase the muscles' glycogen stores above normal levels. The idea behind it being...the more glycogen you have available, the longer and harder you can exercise. This is potentially advantageous in endurance events lasting longer than 90 minutes and events which involve multiple heats or several short matches.

It is unlikely to benefit you if your event lasts less than 90 minutes as muscle gylcogen depletion would not be a limiting factor to your performance.

It is believed that carbohydrate loading increases time to exhaustion by around 20% and improves performance by 2-3%.

The classical 6 day regimen involved 2 bouts of of glycogen depleting exercise seperated by 3 days of low carbohydrate intake and followed by 3 days of high carbohydrate intake and minimal exercise.

The theory behind this 2 phase regimen is that glycogen depletion stimulates the activity of glycogen synthetase, the key enzyme involved in glycogen storage...resulting in above normal levels of muscle gylcogen.

Drawbacks

Not only did it interfere with exercise tapering, but the low carbohydrate diets left the athletes feeling rather shitty - weak, tired etc...

Add that to the fact that a lot of athletes never ended up achieving above normal glycogen levels. So the object was defeated really.

The correct way

The carbohydrate depletion stage isn't really required. It does more damage than good generally. A better way of loading would be to taper training on 6 consecutive days while following a normal diet during the first 3, followed by a carbohydrate rich diet during the next 3. That would leave you going into competition with above normal levels of muscle glycogen.

A clever way

You can also reach the same state of glycogen saturation by following this protocal...

High levels of glycogen can be achieved by taking in 10g of carbohydrate/1kg of bodyweight over the course of a single day, following a 3 minute bout of high intensity exercise. The rate of glycogen storage is greatly increased after such a workout. The advantage of this regimen is that only 1 day is required instead of 6, and very little change to our usual programme needs to be made.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That pretty much brings me to the end of the carbohydrate chapter...

Time to go over a summary of the key points.

• A carbohydrate intake of 5-7g / kg bodyweight / day is recommended for regular exercisers, and 7-10g / kg bodyweight / day is recommended during periods of intense training.
    • The GI Index is a more useful way of categorising carbohydrates for athletes, than the traditional 'complex' versus 'simple' classification.
    • The GI is a ranking of carbohydrate based on their immediate effect on blood glucose (blood sugar) levels. Carbohydrates with a high GI ratingproduce a rapid rise in blood sugar; those with a low GI rating produce a slow rise in blood sugar
    • Pre-exercise meal should contain approx 2.5g carbohydrate / kg bodyweight and should be consumed 2-3 hours before exercise. Carbohydrate should be in the form of Low GI.
    • For moderate-high intensity exercise lasting more than 60 minutes, consuming 30-60g of moderate or high GI carbohydrate (in solid or liquids) during exercise can help maintain exercise intensity for longer
    • Glycogen recovery takes just over 20 hours but depends on the severity of glycogen depletion, extent of muscle damage and the amount, quality and timing of carbohydrate consumed.
    • Replenishment is quicker than normal during the 6 hour post exercise window, although it tapers down and goes back to normal after the 6 hour period.
    Last edited by ono; 08-14-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Protein

Ok in this topic i'm going to try to cover the following...

• The role of protein in the body

• Essential and non-essential amino acids

• Complete and incomplete proteins

• Protein metabolism

• Protein requirements for athletes

• Working out your protein needs

• Meeting your protein needs

• What happens if you eat too much protein

• And anything else that comes up that i want to talk about. Hopefully i'll be able to dispell a few myths and give you a better idea of how to effectively fit protein into your diet.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Protein and it's role in the body

The word protein means 'of primary importance' and is one of the essential food ingredients that plays a critical role in human metabolism

(metabolism: a term used to describe all biochemical reactions within an organsim - you for example)

Structure: Proteins are made up of long chains of amino acids; a group of organic compounds that contain carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and sulphur...(yawn .....)

The chains are formed by single amino acids bonding together as a peptide bond. If two amino acids combine together the result is a dipeptide and if three amino acids combine together the result is a (you guessed it...)tripeptide. Chains of 4-10 amino acids result in a peptide chain and 10-2,000 or more are referred to as polypeptides.

A protein may consist of only one polypeptide chain, or several that are folded together. The order of the amino acids along with the chain determines the nature and action of the protein.

There are between 20 and 25 protein amino acids that have been identified and in combination these can form an infinite number of proteins in the body in just the same way as the 26 letters of the alphabet are able to make up hundreds of thousands of words.

to be continued...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm hopefully going to crack on with this over the next few weeks. Sorry for the delay, i've been away from the board and been really busy with coursework.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aha you fwockers though i'd forget all about this thread. I've been reeally busy with my coursework.

Ok anyway...protein...

So what is Protein i hear you ask, and why the hell do i need it?

Protein makes up part of the structure of every single cell and tissue in your body. Muscle tissue, organs, tendons, skin, hair, nails. Protein is needed for the growth and formation of new tissue (not kleenex), for tissue repair (not kleenex, i need new material i think), for energy production. It's also required to make up the various enzymes that speed up chemical reactions in the body, as well as being required to make hormones. Protein also plays a part in in maintaining water balance in tissues, transporting nutrients in and out of cells, carrying o2 and regulating blood clotting.

You see, it's not just a powder afterall.

Like i said earlier

'Structure: Proteins are made up of long chains of amino acids; a group of organic compounds that contain carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and sulphur...(yawn .....)

The chains are formed by single amino acids bonding together as a peptide bond. If two amino acids combine together the result is a dipeptide and if three amino acids combine together the result is a (you guessed it...)tripeptide. Chains of 4-10 amino acids result in a peptide chain and 10-2,000 or more are referred to as polypeptides.

A protein may consist of only one polypeptide chain, or several that are folded together. The order of the amino acids along with the chain determines the nature and action of the protein.

There are between 20 and 25 protein amino acids that have been identified and in combination these can form an infinite number of proteins in the body in just the same way as the 26 letters of the alphabet are able to make up hundreds of thousands of words.'

Basically that's how proteins are made up. This next bit might not help you with your training goals but it's a fun video to watch as it explains how your body manufactures proteins and how it decides what to do with them once they are complete. It's amazing.

Quick explanation...

DNA has the instructions for building every single protein in your body

The DNA is unwound (process is called transcription) to expose the genetic instructions to assemble the specific protein

A machine copies this instruction to form a molecule called messenger RNA (mRNA)

The mRNA pulls the genetic code out of the cell nucleus(where the DNA is) and takes it to a complex called a ribosome.

The process of translation now begins...

Inside the ribosome a molecular assembly line builds a specificly sequenced chain of amino acids. These amino acids are transported from other parts of the cell.

Their sequencial arrangement determines the type of protein manufactured

When the chain is finished it's moved and folded into a protein (the shape it's folded into depends on it's function). After it's folded into a protein it is released to travel to it's required location. It does this with the help of a shuttle.

Anyway...watch the video, it's amazing.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=983lhh...eature=related
    Last edited by ono; 12-23-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added video

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whoa, this stuff takes me back

Good advice been given here guys.

I'd personally be interested to hear more about polyols - Malitol, sorbitol etc They weren't about when I got my qualification in nutrition. (Or at least they weren't as used as they are today). I know they are an alcohol derivative but interested to know more about these interesting carbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow..pretty awesome thread. especially the part on creatine. Its good to know that the guys who spend a bomb boasting that they are pumping up using creatine are pissing it out. lolz...but what about supplements that provides amino acids? Do those turn to nitric acid and urea? lolz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fascinating.

I have been looking for CURRENT, reliable sources. I'm not really included in the fraternity of nutrition people so I am ignorant of which books are respectable in academia.

As much as I enjoy scouring the internet and finding 90% junk and 10% fact I much prefer having a comprehensive text to read on the couch.

What course of study and specifically which texts were sources for this information?

Thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nice threads, easy to read and informative. good to see people dedicated to factual information, awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is something I'd like to learn more about. Can you recommend a good book to start with Yoko?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cfc View Post
    This is something I'd like to learn more about. Can you recommend a good book to start with Yoko?
    The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita bean. I think you said you already had that though?
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Thread Information