Thread: Thinking out loud......Speed.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Thinking out loud......Speed.

Been away for a bit and might have missed someone else comment on this but I was reading a health magazine while I was away which decribed a study which found reasonable percentage increases in speed and explosiveness when dynamic stretching was included in the warm up!

Who knew that was one of the reasons Scrap was so into stretching! (well apart from Scrap )

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post

More thoughts ,Please dont ,that will just hold you into where you are at, let it all go, its time to be free.

Thoughts are far from freedom, unless your thinking your way into or out of a situation and you can only do that and have the time to do that in a ring if your really enjoying yourself. The zone is just over that hill.

I honestly think some peoples thoughts get in the way of their speed and reaction timing .Sadly their natural abilties also start to die back with trying to be correct in each and every situation etc..
    Eventually you have to drop what you learned, stop trying, stop the thoughts completly and just throw automatic and totally free; VIA having faith that you have done your ground work more than anyone else so you come out of it with the finesse and the strength and the timing built up off of your past hard work. Thats faith in your ability.

A bird doesnt think "Oh theres a cliff down there over to the right when Im real close to it, Im going to turn left real fast just before I hit it and get total speed up the face", It just does it when the time is right.
    Thats the difference between fighting right in the zone and fighting to everything you know safley.

Maybe just spar farting around for a while,snappy, fast as you can semi contact with a good mate, so there is no egos getting involved, then you can play in there and start to have fun again then your natural speed will flow unhindered.

I can feel you want it .
    Well,
    My view is when your a baby, you learn to walk from others. You concentrate and practise, you perfect it and then it becomes your natural pattern of movement.

With my movement I spend periods of time in the gym moving. Corerecting wrong steps and angles. I break it down and do it precisely how It was recommended. Using my mind I commit the actions to muscle memory.

Then when I spar all the hours practise make it a natural movement.
    I've commited the movements to muscle memory so I don't have to make a concious effort to move correctly.

It was my thought that with speed, i would get my body moving correctly, 100% correctly and commit those movements to muscle memory.
    Then they will occur naturally and faster as they become the routine.
    Of course,that is the right pattern, but you want more from it dont you?
    After that pattern is learnt it is your time right then; not in some future date.
    After you know, you let go and really enjoy yourself,thats not giving anything up or stopping learning its bringing it all together so you can work from right in the middle of any moment good or bad without thought.
    Its a mental step to freeing yourself up.
    By appreciating all what you got from all the hard work and then enjoying what it brings you to the extent that you can have a ball with it.
    Why do you think Rjj could do such amazing things under attack? Of course he learnt to walk before he ran ,he has died in training,sweated in it and broke down in it ,hes stretched and he did all the right things all the right ground work and genetically he had some more, and mentally he had some more. But he also brought all the sums together in his head because he was having a ball with it. He knew the stuff, so he relaxed and became whatever was required at the exact moment and then really enjoyed himself with it in the belife that he was the best he could possibly be and he stood right in it beliving in himself; Thats the mental bit that allows you to loosen up and fight freer and faster than the other guy who also trains as hard and does all the right things just as you do.Even Naz did it; total faith in himself, that set him apart and got him to where he got; Although my bet is he wasnt as learned as you in some areas or maybe dismissed them which isnt the point,but he was free and fast. Its the same as any work bro ,the ones who love their work excell at it and they do it faster and with less effort than all the others around them. We have all got it! Some people always have it within their personality ,they are blessed,(the bastards). Others bring it out of themselves after or during a fall, some others have to give themselves the space to re find it and those ones make the added space by making fun out of it all again. At the end of the day they all become natural at what they do and you can see that they litterally smile and are lit up the whole time. Its freeing .Thats why some people hate to love them cause they hate the smart assed smile and smiling eyes behind the killer .
    Thats an excellent post.

I loved it because thats what I believe myself!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donny it works in anything. I staked my claim as being the best in my business in the southern hemisphere way before I actually was. I listened to a mate one day and he got me thinking and doing so I just climbed the hill and tapped the flag in and made the claim out loud in the right places.
    Now I am, because the oppertunity to prove it came my way fast and still does all the time with no advertizing at all.I get all the hard work that others shit themselves over.That has brought frustration as well as hard times actually doing some things but hey; hahahhaa ; or I go crazy by my own design. The whole thing is actually just a big game; we choose to play it and chooce to take some of it way too seriously at times. Being and doing can arise together or we can have them seperatley,you see clearer and have more time to move in the latter.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donny it works in anything. I staked my claim as being the best in my business in the southern hemisphere way before I actually was. I listened to a mate one day and he got me thinking and doing so I just climbed the hill and tapped the flag in and made the claim out loud in the right places.
    Now I am, because the oppertunity to prove it came my way fast and still does all the time with no advertizing at all.I get all the hard work that others shit themselves over.That has brought frustration as well as hard times actually doing some things but hey; hahahhaa ; or I go crazy by my own design. The whole thing is actually just a big game; we choose to play it and chooce to take some of it way too seriously at times. Being and doing can arise together or we can have them seperatley,you see clearer and have more time to move in the latter.
    Cool Andre, I just learned a lot!

I once asked why expierience brought so much "skill and ability."
    The reason I was given was "No Fear."
    I guess he meant confidence in one's ability, faith in one's self.

In the past year I've applied this. I'm no longer nervous before fights and I get relaxed. I don't get afraid anymore and I find I perform so much better now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While you can train up speed a bit,with the mits,and the speed bag,the one thing your going to find,is your fast twitch muscles are only going to allow themselves so far,its like in baseball with bat speed,some guys can just flick it out there,and some guys need to concentrate on power,for most humans its either speed or power,but rarely both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    While you can train up speed a bit,with the mits,and the speed bag,the one thing your going to find,is your fast twitch muscles are only going to allow themselves so far,its like in baseball with bat speed,some guys can just flick it out there,and some guys need to concentrate on power,for most humans its either speed or power,but rarely both.
    Yeah i notice this too but i don't get it. Maybe when trying to be powerful we tense up too much and maybe when thinking fast we don't follow through enough and try to bring the punch back before it's finished?

Technically i know force is = mass X velocity so in theory speed and power should go together but in reality it seems to take some skill to get it happening!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the past year I've applied this. I'm no longer nervous before fights and I get relaxed. I don't get afraid anymore and I find I perform so much better now.
    Fear and nerves is two matters as well, one can be blind and binding the other can help like a hair trigger.

Sounds like you already got the space to work and think freely in the moment or in the zone. (We see so many people in life and fighters) out thinking themselves into a clog up and fixed mindset and not being able to react freely and then worse when the shit hit s the fan ;not be able to even rethink the right way out -so that they can get a space to move the way they need to. The first over thought or over worry; smacks both options clean out of the water.Thats why I think humour about any event or problem. Brings relaxation,and gives you that space. If you smile your brain follows the smile and you start to relax even with some twit swing a sword at you. Practicing having fun even under immence pressure is the doorway to the zone, or the time and space you require to seeing and reacting properly to way out. People who over emotionalize events that are about to happen are the ones who have only their training and hard work to rely on, cause they have formed the mental block before stepping up to the plate. In life people who already realize that "Hey you know something it is all the game of life, we chooce to play and it does all work out in the finish anyway"! These people go into anything open to anything.
    Last edited by Andre; 08-12-2008 at 12:08 AM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fear and nerves is two matters as well, one can be blind and binding the other can help like a hair trigger.

Sounds like you already got the space to work and think freely in the moment or in the zone. (We see so many people in life and fighters) out thinking themselves into a clog up and fixed mindset and not being able to react freely and then worse when the shit hit s the fan ;not be able to even rethink the right way out -so that they can get a space to move the way they need to. The first over thought or over worry; smacks both options clean out of the water.Thats why I think humour about any event or problem. Brings relaxation,and gives you that space. If you smile your brain follows the smile and you start to relax even with some twit swing a sword at you. Practicing having fun even under immence pressure is the doorway to the zone, or the time and space you require to seeing and reacting properly to way out. People who over emotionalize events that are about to happen are the ones who have only their training and hard work to rely on, cause they have formed the mental block before stepping up to the plate. In life people who already realize that "Hey you know something it is all the game of life, we chooce to play and it does all work out in the finish anyway"! These people go into anything open to anything.
    I had a terrible problem last year out thinking.

I'd be deciding on a four punch to throw and I'd get clipped.
    I spar tonight, I'll apply some of this stuff.

Thread Information