Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why a rematch??

I know a rematch has been discussed on other threads.

I don't think it will happen for a couple of reasons.

Why would Cotto's management want to put him back in with Tony? I can't see the result changing. Cotto hit Margarito with MONSTROUS SHOTS, they didn't seem to affect him at all. The only thing that Cotto could do differently is throw more to the body.

I think Tony is just way too tough for him, probably for anyone at 147. He seems to be impossible to hurt, a relentless fighting machine.

Lets put it this way, if Cotto decides to fight him again I think he will deserve huge credit just for signing the contract, because to get back in there with Tony will take a massive pair of balls.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why a rematch??

As much as I'm a huge Tony fan he's not more than enough for any of the other welter's imo.

I'd give Mosely the edge against, Williams could well repeat his victory and I think Floyd would outbox him. If De La Hoya and Margarito fought I'd see that as a pick em fight too.

Toney beat Cotto because Cotto isn't that durable. He's showed signs of it in many fights and not just at light welter as the pundits seem to claim. Mosely had him on the back foot the final third of their fight and Judah rocked him a couple times.

Guys like Mosely, Mayweather and Oscar though have proven throught their careers that they can handle the most extreme pressure and don't come unstuck.

Certainly I think Mosely, Floyd, Oscar and Williams could all beat Margarito, with Oscar and Williams being 50/50 fights.

I'd favour Floyd and Shane over Margarito any day though.

Still he's an awesome fighter, one of my faves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A rematch is the furthest thing in Cotto's mind. It will never happen, Cotto gave his best and it just wasn't good enough, and would be less in a rematch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's the speed of Tony that doesn't convince me. His chin/jaw and power makes up for it in a way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

During the 9th I told the guys I was watching the fight with that Margarito was gonna make Cotto quit. He was a mess by the end. This is the type of beating that makes you fear for a fighter. Taking that much punishment to the body left him defenseless by the 10th round and he was just destroyed then. Wow. what a masterful performance of body work. It was fitting that JC Chavez was there to see this type of body attack that he won so many fights with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

Why would Cotto's management want to put him back in with Tony? I can't see the result changing. Cotto hit Margarito with MONSTROUS SHOTS, they didn't seem to affect him at all. The only thing that Cotto could do differently is throw more to the body.

I think Tony is just way too tough for him, probably for anyone at 147. He seems to be impossible to hurt, a relentless fighting machine.

Lets put it this way, if Cotto decides to fight him again I think he will deserve huge credit just for signing the contract, because to get back in there with Tony will take a massive pair of balls.
    Hey my friend , im one Cottos fan and i know that Margaro won this shot , im realistic , and gave a credit for that , you cant say that Margaro were winning this fight , by some way Cottos bleeding was part of his lost , you cant breath with your nose bleeding and dont get me wrong , i dont giving you any excuses right here , i just want let you know that this fight was very competitive , and a rematch could be more exciting and interesting than this one , so if you think that Cotto doesnt deserve a rematch , i think that you even know what is the meaning of Competitive..........

They both fought really great and i give credit for that , learn to do that.........................
    Isnt hard to do this bro.................

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Mosley had slowed up enough for Margarito to catch up with him.

I think Tony beats Williams if they fight again. Judah is not durable enough to hang with him.

Mayweather I didn't mention because he is 'retired', but Mayweather would dance circles round Tony all night.

Styles make fights, and Cotto has the perfect style to beat Mayweather IMO, whereas Tony would just be too damn slow.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Macho View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

Hey my friend , im one Cottos fan and i know that Margaro won this shot , im realistic , and gave a credit for that , you cant say that Margaro were winning this fight , by some way Cottos bleeding was part of his lost , you cant breath with your nose bleeding and dont get me wrong , i dont giving you any excuses right here , i just want let you know that this fight was very competitive , and a rematch could be more exciting and interesting than this one , so if you think that Cotto doesnt deserve a rematch , i think that you even know what is the meaning of Competitive..........

They both fought really great and i give credit for that , learn to do that.........................
    Isnt hard to do this bro.................
    Macho, I'm not having a go at Cotto - he is one of my favourite fighters, great boxer and a tough, tough guy.

My point is that while we all want to see a rematch, after taking a beating like that against such a relentless, durable guy - maybe Cotto doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no need for re-match it was clear. Cotto never whet to the body but that reason Cotto will only know.
    Last edited by Puya; 07-27-2008 at 07:00 AM.
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think we'll see these two fight again. But not for a few years down the road. Cotto will need to regroup and get some wins under his belt. I don't think Cotto will beat Margarito in a rematch but I think they will fight again in the future.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think that there is plenty reason for a re-match, Cotto did not go to the body at all early when he was fresh, this fight kinda reminded me a bit of Freitas/Corrales, not so lopsided after the knockdowns, but Cotto didn't work the body at all and that played a big part into why Margarito was so strong by the end of the fight, not taking anything away from Tony, i thought he looked incredible last night, but he was being easily outboxed in the early rounds, also another thing i wanted to state, i read in an article on yahoo, that Margarito/De La Hoya would be a pummeling in Margarito's favor, and i can't disagree more, i think again it'll be a 50/50 fight this stage of DLH's career and that well it's a fight that should be made

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DLH was probably on the phone before Cotto's towel even hit the floor. He's gonna offer Margarito more money than he's ever dreamed to be Oscar's final fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A rematch would be great. It would give Cotto a chance to avenge his only defeat. It's not like the fight was one sided, i had cotto ahead 6 rounds to 4 going into the 11th round also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pugilistic View Post
    A rematch would be great. It would give Cotto a chance to avenge his only defeat. It's not like the fight was one sided, i had cotto ahead 6 rounds to 4 going into the 11th round also.
    QFT.

I think that Cotto spent himself too early, and with a little tweak of strategy and new motivation to train harder than ever, he will do well in a rematch.

Thats not taking anything away from Tony. He fought a great fight.

Thread Information